General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Des Moines, Iowa
United States
Hy-Vee Triathlon
80F / 27C
Total Time = 2h 22m 12s
Overall Rank = 155/596
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 13/27
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Des Moines Saturday afternoon, pickup up some Subway for dinner on the way and arrived 30 minutes before last pre-race briefing and packet pickup, headed for transition to drop off bike and mindlessly followed a couple cars with racked bikes who also didn't know how to access the parking area, looped back around and saw the parking signs this time. Parked about a half mile from the transition entrance and headed in. Afterwards drove the bike course out to the turn around, again mindlessly followed a car with empty bike rack doing the same thing who turned on "Old Army Post Rode" (new army post road from the west, Old to the east) and drove down a crappy bumpy road that turned into gravel right before it ran into the runways, not exactly what I expected nor what the map showed. Headed back out and found the correct Army Post Road, drove to the turn around then headed for my hotel. Course was about as hilly as I expected, rolling in the middle half but nothing too steep. Checked into hotel, got clothes and transition bag ready for the morning, called home and went to bed. Woke up about 2 am when the motorcycle gang a couple rooms down got back for the night, then again maybe around 3 or 4, though it was the motorcycles again but must have been thunder. Up at 4:45 and saw it was raining, hit the continental breakfast, then headed to the race. On the way there I passed a couple dudes riding their tri-bikes to the race complete with transition bags on their backs, they had some flashing light toward the rear. Thought everybody but the pros had to have their bike checked in last night, interesting way to warmup: a few miles in the dark, rain, carrying what looked like 30 lbs on your back, in heavy traffic, not for me.
Event warmup:

Swam a couple hundred about 1 hour before and again about 20 minutes before.
Swim
  • 28m 28s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started well on left of pack. Took an elbow in the right eye about 4 strokes into the race, no ill effect it just sealed my goggle to my eye really, really well. After 1st turn, maybe 300-400m in, I noticed that guys who I was matching pace with would occasionally and suddenly move up a body length, I must have some sort of occasional hickup in my form, might be related to swapping breathing sides, not sure, probably related to fatigue as well so less likely to show up in a sprint. Noticed the first 50 yr old passing me before the first left turn, he was hauling, then a couple more shortly after. Stomach was a little sloshy, don't think it was an issue on the swim but not good for the rest of the day.

I didn't expect much out of a non-wetsuit swim and that's what I got.
What would you do differently?:

practice swimming
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

typical T1

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 05m 5s
  • 24.84 miles
  • 22.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Race effort was severally dictated by those around me and my desire the ride legal. Had previously decided to ride conservatively, hang back and be sure passing is appropriate for my plan rather than just attack, attack, attack. Give up a couple minutes on the bike and make them back on the run.

Followed the plan well and had quite a few spots where I rode real easy for a bit in order to better time the passing, think this worked out pretty well, I targeted 240 Watts and hit 239 avg/245 normalized, HR dropped from high 160s to low 150s throughout bike leg.

High fived Gumby on the way up Thornton hill, some large cleaning product guy was sprinting next to the guy ahead of me, I later heard they were handing out beers, how'd I miss that?

Shortly after the turnaround had my only near draft violation experience, passed 3 guys just before the top of one hill and they hung on over the top and came back around me at the bottom, 1st guy, I'm coasting and almost out of draft zone, 2nd guy, continue coasting, almost out of draft zone, 3rd guy, continue coasting, motorcycle pulls up next to me and is just sitting there, I'm not falling out of draft zone very fast, less than 1 second to guy ahead of me, probably 7 meters but I don't want any doubt, glance over at the motorcycle and give the guy a shoulder shrug as I continue to coast and drop back. Finally felt there was no doubt that I was out of draft zone, got back on the gas up the next hill and dropped those Howards for good. Interesting to look back at datalog, HR went from a steadyish 154 bpm to 144 during the avoid drafters nonsense then up to 158 riding a little harder to get some separation. Frustrating because those guys weren't legal distance from one another when they passed me, the motorcycle arrives late to the game and sits on my shoulder waiting for me to pass back, and not a one of them got written up, but that's the nature of bigger races.

Nothing, rode this exactly to the plan
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Typical T2

nothing
Run
  • 44m 56s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

First 2 miles was horrible abdominal pain, me thinks it was pre-race fueling coming back to haunt me, first indicated during the swim, not coming up or out, just sitting there...Ran through it as best I could the first 2 miles hoping it would go away with time, slowed a bit the middle 2 miles, then finally felt a bit better the last 2 miles, perhaps euphoria due to finish line proximity?

This run sucked, should have been at least 2 minutes faster but abdominal pain was keeping me from standing up and running properly. Certain I did not overcook the bike, was 240W compared to 265W and 7min/mile on a hot course with 2 big hills at the KS5150 and HR and perceived exertion were spot on with taking the bike easy. This should have been a perfect set up for a fast 10k, the only think that keeps coming back to mind was pre-race fueling, overdid it at the continental breakfast and then had an apple and banana pre-race during the delay, I was just real hungry, likely due to poor eating the day before. Stomach didn't rear its ugly head until I started running.
Post race
Warm down:

sat in the kiddy pool of ice and enjoyed the buffet put on by Hy-Vee

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weak swimming and angry tummy on the run. The wind also was a factor in slowing the bike times down.

Event comments:

Well run event, missed watching the pro's race in the afternoon heat, good event swag.

Last updated: 2013-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:28 | 1500 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/596
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: distances are approximations: 250m then right, 400m then left, 100m, then left, 750m then right onto beach
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:05 | 24.84 miles | 22.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/27
Overall: 98/596
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: out and back with a couple out and back spurs near the beginning. Middle half of course was rolling terrain.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:56 | 06.2 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/27
Overall: 188/596
Performance: Bad
Course: flat, out and back, then about 1.5-2 miles to the finish
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-05 10:11 AM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship

2013-09-06 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4847472

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship
Geez Mike, I wish I could run that fast with an upset stomach. Solid performance and congratulations on the top 15, you're in for next year! I had a similar trio of riders during my ride also. I think one of them in the group got dinged with at least one penalty.
2013-09-06 1:39 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Nice race!

Bummer about the stomach issues - does sound like pre-race fueling issues, but live and learn I guess (I tend to overeat just a little the night prior - and always easy to digest stuff like pancakes - to avoid the same thing, as I 've done it, too).

And good on ya' for being disciplined about riding legally.  Cheaters bug the cr@p out of me... 

Congrats!

Matt

2013-09-06 4:43 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Solid race!

I'm hoping that they give us at slot #16 a chance to come back without a qualifying race.....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship

Started by mroger82
Views: 1578 Posts: 3

2011-09-09 10:39 AM tuwood

Started by lrunfit
Views: 1753 Posts: 3

2011-09-12 10:13 AM bscharff

Started by robfornoff
Views: 2097 Posts: 3

2011-09-09 10:37 AM tuwood

Started by markcdaniels
Views: 1877 Posts: 3

2011-09-07 7:39 AM gamecom17

Started by CPT K
Views: 1439 Posts: 2

2011-09-05 1:32 PM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.

date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!

My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).