Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-09-05 10:56 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club

I'm gonna do a little reading to prepare for next season, and I was thinking there might be a few of you who'd like to join me.  I'm imagining a book a month for three months.  You can do all three or pick and choose.  I'm hoping there might even be a few of you who will stop by for discussions who have already read these books and applied their principles.  Maybe we'll even get a coach or two to stop by and offer some insight once and a while :)

The schedule:

September 15-October 15: Daniel's Running Formula

October 15-November 15: The Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power

November 15-December 15:Swim Speed Secrets

Who's in?

Edited by switch 2013-09-05 10:59 AM

2013-09-05 1:25 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club
I'll pop in and out for Daniel's
2013-09-05 3:16 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
You're going to love Daniels' Running Formula.  He's method made my 5k and 10k waaaaaaay faster within a winter's time.
2013-09-08 12:07 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Picked up my book this evening.  Should be pretty interesting.
2013-09-09 2:17 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

just ordered this today - 'zon says I should have it by Wednesday, but it could be tomorrow (since there is a warehouse not too far from me)...although, I did see that the 3rd edition is coming out in December
2013-09-09 8:44 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

New user
Does this book seem relevant for a beginner? I have just been running since the first part of this year. It looks a bit advanced but I thought I would ask.

Mary

2013-09-09 9:02 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Chunga Does this book seem relevant for a beginner? I have just been running since the first part of this year. It looks a bit advanced but I thought I would ask. Mary

I think it is very relevant especially for a beginner.  He speaks to some of the physiology of running and training with a purpose.  By understanding some of the principles of running and training I think a beginner can avoid many of the mistakes that most less knowledgeable runners make.  By understanding the purposes of various types of training sessions and when and how to schedule them you can minimize injury and get the most out of the time and effort you put into the sport. 

2013-09-09 10:02 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by popsracer

I think it is very relevant especially for a beginner.  He speaks to some of the physiology of running and training with a purpose.  By understanding some of the principles of running and training I think a beginner can avoid many of the mistakes that most less knowledgeable runners make.  By understanding the purposes of various types of training sessions and when and how to schedule them you can minimize injury and get the most out of the time and effort you put into the sport. 

That's great, I will jump in to the book club and discussion.
Thank you and thanks Switch for hosting the book club!

Mary
2013-09-10 11:01 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Chunga
Originally posted by popsracer I think it is very relevant especially for a beginner.  He speaks to some of the physiology of running and training with a purpose.  By understanding some of the principles of running and training I think a beginner can avoid many of the mistakes that most less knowledgeable runners make.  By understanding the purposes of various types of training sessions and when and how to schedule them you can minimize injury and get the most out of the time and effort you put into the sport. 
That's great, I will jump in to the book club and discussion. Thank you and thanks Switch for hosting the book club! Mary

Yep, I agree! And with the bit about Switchy, too.

Time for me to revisit this classic ... like Salty, I'll be in and out as well, as I can or as I have thoughts or thoughts on others' thoughts.

2013-09-10 12:21 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Chunga Does this book seem relevant for a beginner? I have just been running since the first part of this year. It looks a bit advanced but I thought I would ask. Mary

Yeah, what he said Smile

2013-09-10 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yeah, what he said Smile

And with this thread anyone can ask questions about things their confused about.

2013-09-12 4:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by msteiner

Yeah, what he said Smile

And with this thread anyone can ask questions about things their confused about.

Ok to carry over in here,

"

True, but is 5k for a mile pushing anaerobic?  Surely not, or you couldn't sustain that pace for a 5k.  When I did the Jack Daniels plan when I was improving my 10k, he had a couple of X 800's workouts, but he had way more mile repeats in his plan.

Maybe we should (as they say at my work) "take this offline" and wait until the Daniels' Running Formula thread gets jumping."

So let me get this straight, JD had you doing mile repeats at 5K pace? How many and how much rest? And was it a v02 workout?

If I look at his vdot charts it's not even listing a a mile for reps  or intervals. It seems it's more geared towards the threshold pace for mile repeats, which makes a lot more sense to me.

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-09-12 4:17 PM
2013-09-12 4:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

So let me get this straight, JD had you doing mile repeats at 5K pace? How many and how much rest? And was it a v02 workout?

If I look at his vdot charts it's not even listing a a mile for reps  or intervals. And if I am doing the math correctly, I don't  believe even at the trending paces, that it would be as fast as 5K pace. It seems it's more geared towards the threshold pace for mile repeats, which makes a lot more sense to me.

Alright!  Let's get this party started!

Here's a workout straight from the 5k-15k plan that JD has in his book:

Mile repeats at I pace with 4 min jogs.
Time at I should be below ~8% weekly mileage

Going by my 5k time of 19:01 when I was focused on my 10K, my VDOT was 52.  As you can see in that chart, he doesn't have an "I" pace listed for that VDOT.  However, my T pace at that Vdot was 6:38.  I extrapolated that my "I" pace was somewhere in the neighborhood of my 5k pace, and a few calculators online seemed to show similar results.  

As for the 8% mileage rule, this ended up being around 3 miles for me when that workout started getting closer.  

He also had workouts similar to this in his plan:

4x1mile T pace with 2min recovery jogs)+ 4x(200m R pace with 200 jogs)

He had efforts that were across the board, and I believe that's because for a distance like the 10k (like the 40k in the bike) you need a combination of strong aerobic capacity and muscular endurance to pull off a good time.

2013-09-12 4:37 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle

If I look at his vdot charts it's not even listing a a mile for reps  or intervals. And if I am doing the math correctly, I don't  believe even at the trending paces, that it would be as fast as 5K pace. It seems it's more geared towards the threshold pace for mile repeats, which makes a lot more sense to me.

Going by my 5k time of 19:01 when I was focused on my 10K, my VDOT was 52.  As you can see in that chart, he doesn't have an "I" pace listed for that VDOT.  However, my T pace at that Vdot was 6:38.  I extrapolated that my "I" pace was somewhere in the neighborhood of my 5k pace, and a few calculators online seemed to show similar results.  

As for the 8% mileage rule, this ended up being around 3 miles for me when that workout started getting closer.  

He had efforts that were across the board, and I believe that's because for a distance like the 10k (like the 40k in the bike) you need a combination of strong aerobic capacity and muscular endurance to pull off a good time.

Yeah, I would have expected the second workout 4 x mile @ T with the stride type at the end. We do that one a lot. You get to work at threshold AND get some economy/form/turnover

I guess it just seems really inefficient because you are running less time at VO2 max (as opposed to say, an 8 x 800 workout) and you are taking really long rests. And it seems a little cumbersome with having to extrapolate anything I mean, I hardly use the word extrapolate in regular conversation Smile and then having to calculate the 8% and then that happening to be an an even mile for mile repeats. 

But, I can see your point about getting the endurance and aerobic capacity. And I totally spaced on the context you hinted at by saying it depends on what you are training for.  So, good call. 

2013-09-12 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Yeah, I would have expected the second workout 4 x mile @ T with the stride type at the end. We do that one a lot. You get to work at threshold AND get some economy/form/turnover

I guess it just seems really inefficient because you are running less time at VO2 max (as opposed to say, an 8 x 800 workout) and you are taking really long rests. And it seems a little cumbersome with having to extrapolate anything I mean, I hardly use the word extrapolate in regular conversation Smile and then having to calculate the 8% and then that happening to be an an even mile for mile repeats. 

But, I can see your point about getting the endurance and aerobic capacity. And I totally spaced on the context you hinted at by saying it depends on what you are training for.  So, good call. 

Heh.  As a Software Engineer I use the word "extrapolate" daily.

I agree that all the calculation that JD requires in some of his planning can be cumbersome, but for me that's part of the fun.  Also I'm not talented enough to get faster by just running, so knowing exactly why I'm doing x workout and how it's helping is a must for me.

Edit:

Thinking about it, when I compare the 10k run to the 40k bike, the 3-4 mile x 5k effort isn't that much different than a 4 x 10' @ 100% or 2x20' effort workout on the bike 

Edited by msteiner 2013-09-12 4:52 PM
2013-09-12 4:49 PM

User image

Seattle

Heh.  As a Software Engineer I use the word "extrapolate" daily.

I agree that all the calculation that JD requires in some of his planning can be cumbersome, but for me that's part of the fun.  Also I'm not talented enough to get faster by just running, so knowing exactly why I'm doing x workout and how it's helping is a must for me.

Hmmmm interesting thought about talent.

I don't consider myself all that talented. But I feel like I've got the gift of being inexperienced enough that a lot of "just running" will get me a long way.

The really talented people seem to have to really push hard in really specific ways to continue to improve.

Or at least that is my observation.

2013-09-12 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

There are some calculators out there that will give you the mile pace:

http://www.attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp?eqdist=1500&vdot=52

2013-09-12 8:48 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

By understanding the purposes of various types of training sessions and when and how to schedule them you can minimize injury and get the most out of the time and effort you put into the sport. 

Yeah, what he said Smile

"

True, but is 5k for a mile pushing anaerobic?  Surely not, or you couldn't sustain that pace for a 5k.  When I did the Jack Daniels plan when I was improving my 10k, he had a couple of X 800's workouts, but he had way more mile repeats in his plan.

Maybe we should (as they say at my work) "take this offline" and wait until the Daniels' Running Formula thread gets jumping."

If I look at his vdot charts it's not even listing a a mile for reps  or intervals. It seems it's more geared towards the threshold pace for mile repeats, which makes a lot more sense to me.

So, here in the proper venue, I'll speak a bit:

you'll notice that there are no I paces for 'Mile' repeats unless you are fast enough (and have a vdot that is high enough) to race at 5min/mile pace.
He wants the vo2max effort to stay at 3-5 minutes, so you should not be 'extrapolating' to guess what you 1 mile time would be above 5 minutes.

T pace is safer and better. (Or go out and run a 5K fast enough to support training at that much faster pace.)
Otherwise, JD advises mile repeats at T pace with enough rest to do several of these (up to 8% of the weekly mileage)

As training progresses in a block of training, there is a progression from R pace to T and I, with shorter recoveries, to get used to race pace and build ability to 'clear lactate', while shifting the curve of LT to the right and build mitochondria in the muscles to hold 'comfortably hard' for a longer time.

The strides, or 3x200M reps, are for neuromuscular training.
At least that's the way I remember it...

Edited by dtoce 2013-09-12 9:07 PM
2013-09-12 9:06 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by dtoce

So, here in the proper venue, I'll speak a bit: you'll notice that there are no I paces for 'Mile' repeats unless you are fast enough (and have a vdot that is high enough) to race at 5min/mile pace. He wants the vo2max effort to stay at 3-5 minutes, so you should not be 'extrapolating' to guess what you 1 mile time would be above 5 minutes. T pace is safer and better. (Or go out and run a 5K fast enough to support training at that much faster pace.) Otherwise, JD advises mile repeats at T pace with enough rest to do several of these (up to 8% of the weekly mileage) As training progresses in a block of training, there is a progression from R pace to T and I, with shorter recoveries, to get used to race pace and build ability to 'clear lactate', while shifting the curve of LT to the right and build mitochondria in the muscles to hold 'comfortably hard' for a longer time. The strides, or 3x200M reps, are for neuromuscular training. At least that's the way I remember it...

I've read that as well, but for 1 mile effort, if I can handle running a 5k at my 5k pace, then how is it unsafe for me to do a 3x1 mile with 4 minute jog workout at said pace?

2013-09-12 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

So, here in the proper venue, I'll speak a bit: you'll notice that there are no I paces for 'Mile' repeats unless you are fast enough (and have a vdot that is high enough) to race at 5min/mile pace. He wants the vo2max effort to stay at 3-5 minutes, so you should not be 'extrapolating' to guess what you 1 mile time would be above 5 minutes. T pace is safer and better. (Or go out and run a 5K fast enough to support training at that much faster pace.) Otherwise, JD advises mile repeats at T pace with enough rest to do several of these (up to 8% of the weekly mileage) As training progresses in a block of training, there is a progression from R pace to T and I, with shorter recoveries, to get used to race pace and build ability to 'clear lactate', while shifting the curve of LT to the right and build mitochondria in the muscles to hold 'comfortably hard' for a longer time. The strides, or 3x200M reps, are for neuromuscular training. At least that's the way I remember it...

I've read that as well, but for 1 mile effort, if I can handle running a 5k at my 5k pace, then how is it unsafe for me to do a 3x1 mile with 4 minute jog workout at said pace?

The injury risk is higher. If you run 5K races every week, you will break down. If you train at that high a pace all the time with these efforts, the injury risk is unacceptable and that's why he wants the effort caped at 5 minutes. There is substantially less risk by training at 90% of max effort=T or LT or threshold.

And if you can run lots of mile repeats at your 'extrapolated 5KRP', you haven't got an accurate 5KRP. There is a faster race in your legs waiting for you...
2013-09-12 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The injury risk is higher. If you run 5K races every week, you will break down. If you train at that high a pace all the time with these efforts, the injury risk is unacceptable and that's why he wants the effort caped at 5 minutes. There is substantially less risk by training at 90% of max effort=T or LT or threshold. And if you can run lots of mile repeats at your 'extrapolated 5KRP', you haven't got an accurate 5KRP. There is a faster race in your legs waiting for you...

I'm hoping that's correct.  I feel like there's a pretty huge difference between running 6:09 miles back to back to back versus running them with 4 min jogs between.  Maybe physiologically they are the same.  That's something I'd like to learn.

2013-09-13 12:28 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by Asalzwed   By understanding the purposes of various types of training sessions and when and how to schedule them you can minimize injury and get the most out of the time and effort you put into the sport. 

Yeah, what he said Smile

"

That was a really good explanation. And kind of what I was thinking but couldn't communicate. But it was more based on my experience and what I could remember from the book and that chart. Mainly my experience though.

On my run home I kept thinking about it yesterday. I was having a hard time imagining doing those mile repeats at 5K pace! 

2013-09-13 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

OK, so all this discussion is certainly whetting my appetite for the JD--the book, that is.

Those of you who have read it already, what do you think might be the best structure for discussion, if any?  A free for all?  A let's not talk about anything past pg ___ until next week, broken up into weekly segments? Others?

I would like for those who are just getting aquainted with these ideas to be able to hang with the discussions as much as possible.  What do you think?

2013-09-13 1:05 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by switch

OK, so all this discussion is certainly whetting my appetite for the JD--the book, that is.

Those of you who have read it already, what do you think might be the best structure for discussion, if any?  A free for all?  A let's not talk about anything past pg ___ until next week, broken up into weekly segments? Others?

I would like for those who are just getting aquainted with these ideas to be able to hang with the discussions as much as possible.  What do you think?

It's really technical.

I think maybe you could have people read a segment (whether that be a chapter or a few) and then just bring up either talking points or questions. It could be that simple I think. 

2013-09-13 1:34 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by switch

I was thinking about this last night and started to write something along these lines but had a hard time articulating anything.

There is a lot of meat in the first few chapters that I think is important that everyone understand.  It lays the foundation for subsequent discussions about how the various workouts and purposes fit into an individuals real life schedule and goals.  I've limited my reading to the first few chapters because I didn't want to get ahead of discussion and jump into how do I setup a training schedule without first hashing out the various physiological adaptions, workouts to stimulate those, and appropriate paces and distances for those workouts.

We talked a little about VDOT earlier and I think that is also important to understand as it helps set parameters for workouts.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a roll call that would include what experience you have already on the topic.  Some people that have posted are very familiar and knowledgeable already, some are brand new, and some fall in between.  What races/distances are you training for.  What is your current fitness level/experience.  What do you hope to get out of this.  Some might be to understand the prinicples, others might want to focus more on the very specifc examples and workouts like we've seen already.  What questions do you have on any of the material in the first few chapters.

It is kind of tough to have too structured of a discussion because I think there is a pretty wide range of familiarity with the subject matter.  I do agree that everyone should feel comfortable and those more knowledgeable and experienced can help explain, answer questions, and provide insight while still be able to carry on some "case study" discussion that I think is a lot of fun.

I've learned a lot from the book in just the last week or so.  If anyone doesn't have the book yet and wants to get some familiarity here are some articles that summarize some of the foundational stuff.

http://www.coacheseducation.com/endur/jack-daniels-june-00.htm

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1863 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2165 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1704 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2289 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1391 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.