Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Fundraising for charity - simple ideas? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-08 7:06 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Fundraising for charity - simple ideas?

You said you've posted requests for donations on here, FB, etc, but did you send out a mass email or letter? That's fundraising 101.   Personally, I prefer email instead of letters.  Ideally, you've also got a way for people to donate online using a credit card, preferably in the form of a detailed fundraising page customized by you.

Send an email to everyone on your contact list.  I can't emphasize the 'everyone' part enough.  Whether you think they would donate or not, send it to them.  The email should be fairly short, explain what you're doing, who you're doing it for, include a direct link to your fundraising page where they can donate and learn more about what you're doing and why, plus include the suggestion that if they want to help, but are unable to financially, forwarding the email to their friends and family is appreciated.

I like doing fundraising this way, because it doesn't have the possibility of making people feel uncomfortable the way asking them face-to-face may, it makes donating easy because of a direct link to your fundraising page, if someone doesn't want to donate they can just delete the email, it's more environmentally friendly than hundreds of letters, plus it's time efficient with a high return on your time investment compared to fundraising events like car washes that are a lot of work but don't raise as much money.

If you're doing a race that's several months away, you can send out monthly updates to the list, thanking everyone who's donated, provide a brief update, and remind anyone who hasn't donated but wants to that they still can.

Good luck!

2013-09-09 9:59 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by TriMyBest

You said you've posted requests for donations on here, FB, etc, but did you send out a mass email or letter? That's fundraising 101.   

I kind of purposely did not go the "mass email/letter" route - mainly because personally I have never donated to someone who has done that. They are mildly annoying to me, but I can't put my finger on why, since a post on Facebook is not that much different. I think it's just so "old school."

My email contact list is pretty small if you take away co-workers - and I won't solicit money from co-workers as it's frowned on at work (possibly even against policy, I'd have to check). My Facebook contacts are literally hundreds more people so I feel like I get more bang out of my efforts by a simple post every week or so. 

I think the general idea between a mass email and a social media post are the same, just a different medium for how people's communication habits are shifting.

2013-09-10 10:38 PM
in reply to: MissKelly

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Originally posted by MissKelly

Some of the quicker, easier things I've seen include:

--A Canvas and Cocktails night where half the fee goes to your fundraising
--Offering beads for donations outside sporting events (You can find beads for super cheap online and some of the TNT participants I work with have made a ton of money doing this)
--Bake sales
--Babysitting for a donation

Good luck!

An old fashioned kissing booth?
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Fundraising for charity - simple ideas? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Fundraising ideas

Started by cornick
Views: 812 Posts: 7

2012-02-27 5:11 PM cornick

"Simple" tax question

Started by bradword
Views: 935 Posts: 6

2011-01-04 9:17 AM TriRSquared

Simple pleasures Pages: 1 2

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 1779 Posts: 43

2006-12-15 3:39 PM willow

simple green is the best

Started by bootygirl
Views: 1027 Posts: 24

2006-09-13 8:28 AM SuzanneS

10 Simple Rules for Dating My Daughter Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Stake
Views: 2990 Posts: 63

2006-05-25 12:36 PM Stake
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.

date : January 14, 2008
author : AMSSM
At the age of 44, I am experiencing extreme pain in my hip. I have been trying simple stretching and have found no relief.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.