General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just completed my first Tri!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-07 11:34 PM

User image

Subject: Just completed my first Tri!!!
Feeling great. Completed the Lake Stevens Olympic Tri. Total time 3:25. I had a lot of fun and will be doing the Black Diamond Olympic next week. The event was very well run and super organized (I have no bases for comparison thou lol). Time wise, what killed me was the swim. I don't know the official times yet but:

Swim ~55mins (I was dead last, I knew I would be last but still...)
T1 ~ 2mins
Bike ~1:30
T2 ~2mins
Run ~58mins

I really need to work on my sighting well swimming. I think I wasted around 5-10mins just swimming the wrong direction, weaving back and forth, etc. I knew swimming in general was weak for me (started swimming in May, prior to that hadn't been in a 'non-hotel pool' in > 25 yrs), and I knew sighting was poor based on practicing at Kennydale Beach Park in Lake Washington. So going to work on that more before Black Diamond. I was averaging 3min/100yds at practice, but was 3:30min/100yrds at the actually event LOL

I want to say thank you to everyone on this forum for all the info and support (I mostly lurked). Even thou I finished dead last on the swim my T1 time was excellent, and I passed a bunch of people because I had prepared for it (again thanks to this group). Same with T2.

I'm turning 40 next year and DEFINITELY doing a HIM; and maybe an Ironman?

2013-09-08 11:44 AM
in reply to: Vejita-sama

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Subject: RE: Just completed my first Tri!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!! Welcome to the club...I see you're getting addicted :-)

BuDu Races are almost always well run events...but I might be biased since I worked for them. (Don't anymore and still enjoy their events)

It looks like you caught up on the bike and run - nice job!

Good luck next week at Black Diamond.

2013-09-08 11:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by Vejita-sama

Feeling great. Completed the Lake Stevens Olympic Tri. Total time 3:25. I had a lot of fun and will be doing the Black Diamond Olympic next week. The event was very well run and super organized (I have no bases for comparison thou lol).

Congratulations on your first tri! I hope you go on to do many more. Each one you do will teach you a little bit more and you can progress from there. I wish I could help you on the swim sighting, but I'm a notoriously crooked line swimmer. Good luck at Black Diamond!
2013-09-10 8:08 PM

That is awesome! Way to go!
2013-09-12 1:02 PM
in reply to: rnkaytee

User image

Elite
washington state
Great job!  Glad that it was such a good experience! 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just completed my first Tri!!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

My First Tri is coming up - Sept 7th Lake Stevens Olympic

Started by Vejita-sama
Views: 1264 Posts: 3

2013-08-16 6:57 PM briderdt

2011 Cottage Lake Tri and Tri Again : Official Thread

Started by scrappymom
Views: 3444 Posts: 8

2011-04-12 2:56 PM clarktab

First Tri in 9 days

Started by ericwjacobson
Views: 1993 Posts: 12

2010-06-20 9:40 AM ericwjacobson

Finished first Sprint Tri

Started by scrappymom
Views: 1552 Posts: 8

2009-08-20 2:51 PM mchally

First Tri Season

Started by JessicaHintz
Views: 1652 Posts: 19

2008-04-08 11:40 PM swbkrun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.

date : October 5, 2012
author : MOlsen
comments : 1
Earlier this year I did something I never thought I would do: run a 10k. Last weekend I did something I thought was even further out of reach: complete a triathlon.
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.