General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports White Lake International Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inside Out Sports White Lake International - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elizabethtown, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 43s
Overall Rank = 113/208
Age Group = 20-224
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night at my grandparents house. Had a hard time sleeping, I guess I was more antsy than I thought. Finally got up at 5;15 and started fixing my traditional race day breakfast. 1.5 bagels with peanut butter and honey with some G2. Said good morning to grandparents and headed out to the race site.
Event warmup:

Set up my transition area and hit the bathrooms. Got in the water and swam around for a bit until it was time for the race to start.
Swim
  • 33m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first olympic distance race where I didn't wear a wetsuit. Initially was nervous about this at the start of the swim, but soon forgot about it. Was able to pass some guys in the wave before me, but also got passed by some of the girls in the wave after me. Overall was pretty satisfied with my time since it was close to what I got wearing a wetsuit at REV3 Williamsburg, so I guess that means training is paying off.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, unless I figure out how to grow gills haha.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

There was quite a little run down the pier and into the TA once you finished the swim. Put on socks, shoes, helmet, sunglesses, and off to the bike course.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 24m 38s
  • 28 miles
  • 19.85 mile/hr
Comments:

White Lake claims to have the flatest bike courses around, and I'd have to agree. Settled in and made sure take in fluid every 15ish minutes. Got passed by a bunch of the older guys (curse old man strength lol), but was able to pass a few people myself. Was hoping for a better time on the bike, but not too upset.

More hills and bricks in training befoer the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Got ready to dismount at the line and some moron serves in front of me on his bike...sigh...oh well. Rack bike, switch shoes, ditch the helmet, put on my belt, and take off running.

Watch out for morons on the bike.
Run
  • 53m 5s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs are feeling ever so slightly sluggish from the bike, but not a big deal right? Following a nice lady for the first mile and a half or so. Glance at my watch after the first mile and its in the 7:30s...speedy for me. The course is an out and back course and its getting warm now. Make it to the turn around point and to mile 4 before I wimp out and walk for a minute at an aid station. So much for running the whole thing....
I take off and my legs are feeling like lead. I make it to mile 5 and get passed by a guy in my age group and have a mental fit and walk again. So much for embracing the suck. Run from there to the finish line.

Probably should have done more bricks in training to get used to the jelly legs coming off the bike. Buckled down and embraced the suck.
Post race
Warm down:

Jumped into the lake because it was getting warm out. Got out and stretched. Checked my age group ranking and....back to the drawing board lol.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Realistically I didn't do as bad as I initially felt like. Having to base a large majority of my training around working at a summer camp with no hills nearby definately was a factor. I also don't come from a swimming or running background so I'm still learning.

Event comments:

Pretty good race overall. White Lake has THE NICEST swim courrse I've raced at yet. If you're trying to pick out your first open water race I highly reccomend White Lake. Overall the race was a pretty good measuring stick for where I am in my preperation for the Beach to Battleship Half in October.

Last updated: 2013-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:30 | 1500 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/208
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:38 | 28 miles | 19.85 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:05 | 06.2 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-08 10:46 AM

User image

Subject: Inside Out Sports White Lake International
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports White Lake International Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Inside Out Sports White Lake International 2010

Started by DougRob
Views: 3348 Posts: 19

2010-09-15 6:55 PM halfpint

Started by titeloops
Views: 1491 Posts: 3

2010-09-13 7:22 AM BamaDC

Started by yeszir1
Views: 1747 Posts: 4

2010-09-12 9:11 PM keyone

Inside Out Sports White Lake International featuring Club Wars 2009

Started by FeManAZ
Views: 1574 Posts: 1

2009-09-18 12:52 PM FeManAZ

Inside Out Sports White Lake International featuring Club Wars 2009

Started by canadarn2001
Views: 1534 Posts: 1

2009-09-13 10:26 PM canadarn2001
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : September 15, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
While adequate protein is important in your sports diet, protein should take its place as the accompaniment to carbs (grains, fruits, vegetables) in each meal and snack.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout