Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 48s
Overall Rank = 22/107
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up 30 minutes earlier than I had planned but just went with it. Had the normal steel cut oats, banana, and coffee. Called valet and had the car brought around. We stayed at Dunes Village for the kids and the water park, which was 20 minutes away. Did the drive and unloaded. Got packet pickup and set up transition. The weren't any volunteers when I showed up so many and another lady body marked each other.
Event warmup:

Did a 2 mile bike to shake out the legs and hit the hotel bathroom. Then walked down the beach to swim start.
Swim
  • 18m 34s
  • 700 yards
  • 02m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

I want to say this swim was below average for me because it is my slowest swim ever but I got out of the water just about where I normally due during a race. The waves were pretty tough to break through on the 1st 50 meters to the buoy. Once I got going I felt like I maintained a consistent pace. Sighting was difficult because the waves were so large you could not pick up the navigation buoys. The water was churning so the current did not help that significantly. My wife said that about 1/3 of people were getting stung by jelly fish (luckily I escaped free of danger) but the course was shortened 100 meters and they were bringing people down the beach for a 100 meter jog. (another person reported that the buoys got loose and had to be retied which made everyone swim 100 meter extra, cannot confirm personally)
What would you do differently?:

I should practice swimming in the ocean since it has been 1 year since my last ocean swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

ripped of the nineteen frequency, got dressed and ran out of T1. I had the best T1 spot in the race as it was the 1st spot inside the entrance. One of the perks of being early.

Nothing
Bike
  • 36m 39s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed as hard as I could go, I was really hoping to pull 22mph but came up short of the goal. 21.5 is what I have been averaging all year consistently. I forgot my water bottle in the freezer at the hotel but was able to get my wife to bring it to me and stick it right near transition. Would have been really bad to do the race with no water.

Remember my water bottle.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Couldn't feel my legs as I jumped off the bike and ran through transition but was able to get dressed with no issues. I pulled out of my shoes probably .25 miles earlier than I should have and lost pace with the 2 people I was racing against within the race.

Nothing
Run
  • 20m 58s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

One of my best sprint triathlon runs currently ranks 3/22 for me in the 5k sprint race. The course was mostly flat the winds were strong but kept me very cool and the course was mostly shaded. The finish into the park came up very quick but was a cool finish.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Had a coke and walked back to transition to clean up. Through all the stuff into the car and walked back to the park. Got the world's worst coffee from Cupcakes on Coffee. Met the wife and kids let them play on the park for a bit, realized I had no shot at placing inside age group and headed back to the hotel for a day of relaxing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Huge waves

Event comments:

Once the race got going volunteers were everywhere and were very helpful. The race features the coolest shirt I own out of the 75 race shirts I own. I will be back for sure.

Last updated: 2013-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:34 | 700 yards | 02m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/17
Overall: 42/107
Performance: Below average
Suit: Nineteen Frequency
Course: Swim was from north to the south due to direction of current (some years it is south to north) 50 meters out, 600 meters parallel to shore, then 50 meters to the shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:39 | 13 miles | 21.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 21/107
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: 2 triangles north and south of transition. Course was mostly flat. road surfaces were much better than I had heard. Ocean Blvd is rough. You will have to ride about 2 feet out to miss the manhole covers. They are everywhere. The back section that parallels the blvd has good roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:58 | 03.1 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/17
Overall: 15/107
Performance: Good
Course: course was a triangle that looped the finish to a park 2 blocks from T1 and T2.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-08 3:52 PM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: North Myrtle Beach Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Myrtle Beach Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

North Myrtle Beach Triathlon

Started by blynott
Views: 1157 Posts: 1

2013-09-08 6:43 AM blynott

Started by jrobatc
Views: 1147 Posts: 1

2013-09-08 2:47 AM jrobatc

Started by blynott
Views: 1303 Posts: 1

2012-09-09 7:13 AM blynott

Myrtle Beach Triathlon

Started by Experior
Views: 2233 Posts: 8

2010-10-05 7:49 PM keyone

North Myrtle Beach Aquatic Fitness and Fitness Triathlon 2009

Started by harderj
Views: 1297 Posts: 1

2009-09-12 3:44 PM harderj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
One of the more impressive areas to spectate.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.