REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 15h 19m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Bagel with pb & banana and a honey stinger waffle. Wanted to get in a gel before the swim start but was too nervous
Event warmup:

Swam for about 5 minutes
Swim
  • 1h 19m 1s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had a GREAT swim. Last 2.4mi OWS I did was 1:33 last year so this was a great improvement. Was a little choppy coming in but I just stayed calm and kept going
Transition 1
  • 11m 3s
Comments:

The new swim location was over 0.5 mi run to transition which took a while. Got into the change tent and took off my bathing suit and put on bike shorts and my tri top
Bike
  • 7h 20m 34s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Headwind, cross wind, wind wind wind. This was awful! The wind was so strong there were times I was going downhill at 10mph. I just tried to control the things I could control like HR and nutrition and just let my pace go. Other than the annoyance from the wind I felt good but quads were tired by the end because the wind made it so it was basically uphill the entire way. Made some friends along the way which was nice :)
What would you do differently?:

Not much....try to keep my HR lower, in the zones but with the wind that was tough
Transition 2
  • 05m 29s
Comments:

Changed out of my bike shorts into tri shorts, put on compression sleeves, changed my socks and put on a visor
Run
  • 6h 23m 24s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Calved cramped immediately and had to walk most of the way to the aid station to get water to take my salt. Stomach was really upset most of the day and I think I used pretty much every porta potty out there. Overall the first half was good and I did a lot of running but the 2nd half fell apart. Stomach was a mess and my feet were really hurting, I walked pretty much miles 15-26. Around mile 17 the blisters started coming and at mile 20 the left one popped which left searing pain with every step. It was a real challenge to keep moving but I never gave up.
What would you do differently?:

Run more the 2nd half. Change my socks at special needs to help prevent blisters
Post race
Warm down:

Going through that finish line was the greatest feeling in the world. Spectators lined the chute and I felt like a total rockstar with everyone shouting my name. It was a total party! It's true what they say....the last finishers get the loudest cheers :) SO proud of myself.

Got my picture taken, mylar blanket, and sat down and had some gatorade then went to the med tent for them to help with my blisters and hobbled over to transition to get my bike and then headed back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, stomach issues, blisters

Last updated: 2012-11-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:01 | 3862 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: 2 loop counter-clockwise. Had to move the start from the lake to the bay due to the winds
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 11:03
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:20:34 | 112 miles | 15.25 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Lollipop with 2 loops. I liked the course...rolling hills but the wind made it a long, horrible ride. the 5 miles in and out of the park were in rough shape and there was another 10 miles of tar and chip
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:23:24 | 26.2 miles | 14m 38s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops up and down some streets and through a park and over the causeway then back to transition
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-09 2:40 PM

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev

2013-09-09 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4851134

User image

Olmsted Twp, OH
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev
Wow - way to overcome all of the obstacles. I did the half and can't imagine doing one more minute of riding in those winds let alone another 56 miles. I was there at the end cheering for the finishers and got to see you cross the finish line - great job!
2013-09-09 2:53 PM
in reply to: Du To Tri

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
Thanks! Yeah it was definitely a tough day but I guess ironman isn't supposed to be easy! Thanks for coming back and cheering! It was seriously AWESOME crossing that finish line...made it all worth it!
2013-09-23 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Congratulations! Welcome to the 140.6 club. Never given, always earned :-)!
2013-09-23 1:45 PM
in reply to: 2moremiles

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well done!  Sounds like a tougher day than most, for sure.

Congratulations on finishing an Iron distance!  Just awesome.  Laughing

Matt

2013-09-23 8:16 PM

User image

New user
Fayetteville

GREAT JOB!

I was there, did the full, and had the same feelings about it that you did. When we did have a tail wind we had that chip & seal stuff to deal with. Nice finish. Did you see the guy doing the marathon in his fireman turn out gear?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 1396 Posts: 1

2012-07-08 10:39 PM Shermbelle

Started by ryanjleone
Views: 1550 Posts: 1

2011-09-14 7:01 AM ryanjleone

Started by sdanaher
Views: 2971 Posts: 5

2011-09-20 9:26 PM Atlas_Shrugged

Started by Blased33
Views: 2047 Posts: 1

2011-09-12 6:55 PM Blased33

Started by wannabefaster
Views: 1953 Posts: 3

2011-09-13 4:29 PM yeats
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.
date : November 20, 2007
author : mikericci
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.