General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power meter + Wheels question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-09 9:29 PM

User image

Miami
Subject: Power meter + Wheels question
I am ready to make the next big "investment" on my bike. 2 premises:

Price: I would like to stay around $1,000, but I know this may be difficult if I want to get both (power meter and wheels), so I may be able to stretch to $1,5000.

Use: I would like to train in the set of wheels that I buy, so they will be training and racing wheels.

The options I've been looking at are:

1. Used Zipp rear wheel (808) + Used Powertap: I saw some deals online (eBay) were I can either get the wheel with powertap installed for under $900. Obviously my biggest concern is that I can't check the actual status of the wheels and powertap until after I buy them, plus I am not sure what year of wheels and powertap I am buying. WIth this option I will have to look for a front wheel (zipp 404 will be my preference).

2. Used Zipp wheels (404 front + 808 rear) + new Powertap: With the powertap price drop I may be able to afford it new and have it installed in a set of used wheels. Is this too much of a hassle?

3. New Flo's wheels (60/90) + not sure what power meter: I read good reviews about Flo's wheels, but I was disappointed to know that a powertap won't fit. I was set on the powertap, so not sure what other "affordable" power meter works well with these wheels.

From all these options, which one will you chose and why?? Is there any other option am I missing that I should take into account?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

2013-09-09 9:48 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

Subject: RE: Power meter + Wheels question
Just bought a PT last month from Wheelbuilder. Got a G3 laced to a Zipp 101, Joule GPS, and Aerojacket for 1400 shipped. If you don't need the Joule GPS (already have a computer that reads power) and Aerojacket, you could get a front Zipp 101 to go with it for about the same price. You can train and race on those. You can get an Aerojacket and a front 60 at a later point if you want.

2013-09-09 10:02 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
If have FLO's (90/60) and love them. If you are going to use them for training AND racing, I would get the flo's. They are an aluminum wheel with a carbon flaring. The carbon doesn't have any structural integrity, just aerodynamics. From what I understand, because it's a metal wheel, they are more durable. Also, the Zipps have a carbon brake track, so you'll need to change your brake pads every time you go back and forth between a non carbon wheel. The Flo, however, have an aluminum brake track. The Flo's are definitely a heavier wheel however, so that is a drawback. Either way you go, you can't go wrong I don't think.
2013-09-09 10:22 PM

User image

Either look for a used PT built into something like a DT swiss or Mavic Open pro hoop and get a disc cover for it.  Used 404 front (or similar) or a new FLO 60 and you're total cost would be around $1000.

2013-09-09 11:27 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Either look for a used PT built into something like a DT swiss or Mavic Open pro hoop and get a disc cover for it.  Used 404 front (or similar) or a new FLO 60 and you're total cost would be around $1000.

This.  Exactly.  Only difference is I use a HED3 up front.   Hey, good enough for wiggo 

2013-09-10 7:02 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by Jason N

Agreed 100%.  This is my setup - Mavic Open pro + PT + disc cover and a FLO 60 up front.

2013-09-10 7:03 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

Stages + eBay Carbons.
2013-09-10 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
i went with the zipp 101 and PT G3 hub build from wheelbuilder too. solid wheel and pretty good aero benefits, there is some data out there showing them having better aero performance than the 50mm deep cosmic carbones despite being half as deep.
2013-09-10 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
you can also look into a power2max powermeter. They have some of the last years models for ~$800. It is crank based so you can use your current training wheels and then get son FLO's or used whatevers.
2013-09-10 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

2. Used Zipp wheels (404 front + 808 rear) + new Powertap: With the powertap price drop I may be able to afford it new and have it installed in a set of used wheels. Is this too much of a hassle?

It may not be possible.  When I looked into this several years ago and called the LBS around Seattle, several of them said "no, this will probably crack your Zipp so we won't do it" and a couple said "we can give it a try, but no warranty on the result".  The story was about how the Zipp wheel is built making this quite difficult.

Anyone actually have a wheel builder re-lace a used Zipp wheel with a powertab hub?

2013-09-10 1:33 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
I went with a used set of powertap G3 wheels for 700$ sold the front for 100$ and plan to buy a new flo 60 front which will put me at 1024$

Then I plan on a wheel cover for the rear so another 100$

However as mentioned before stages might be a good choice for you, I wanted to go that route but they do not offer an arm for either my road or tri bike crank.

2013-09-10 7:39 PM

User image

Miami
Thank you all very much for your answers. I will definitively look into some of the options you pointed out, specially buying a used rear wheel with a powertap installed + disc cover and pairing it with a new FLO 60.

Is the disc cover easy to install and remove? I don't think I will be training with it, or do you also use it for training?
2013-09-11 3:32 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by davidfedez Thank you all very much for your answers. I will definitively look into some of the options you pointed out, specially buying a used rear wheel with a powertap installed + disc cover and pairing it with a new FLO 60. Is the disc cover easy to install and remove? I don't think I will be training with it, or do you also use it for training?

It's a 5-10 min job to install/remove it depending on how picky you are about it.  Some people just slap it on, put the little screws in and go, others tape the edges down and also one side to the spokes on the inside.  Either way it's not a big job.

2013-09-11 8:18 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Miami
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by davidfedez Thank you all very much for your answers. I will definitively look into some of the options you pointed out, specially buying a used rear wheel with a powertap installed + disc cover and pairing it with a new FLO 60. Is the disc cover easy to install and remove? I don't think I will be training with it, or do you also use it for training?

It's a 5-10 min job to install/remove it depending on how picky you are about it.  Some people just slap it on, put the little screws in and go, others tape the edges down and also one side to the spokes on the inside.  Either way it's not a big job.

Ok, sounds like a very solid option. Thank you!
2013-09-11 8:31 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by davidfedez

I'm going to backup a bit and say that you should make sure your bike frame and wheel choice are compatible with a cover.  There is a list on the Wheelbuilder site.

2013-09-11 12:16 PM

User image

Pro

OK- you've gotten all the expected good suggestions.  Something else to consider.  do you want to go with the new 'wide' rims (FLO, HED's, Zipp Firecrests- maybe some others now), or stick with a 19mm rim?  

here's the deal- as, if you go with a PT with a Mavic Open Pro or some other similar rear wheel, with the expectation to just cover it for race day- that totally works.  but, then it looks funny if you're sporting a deep front wheel and a narrow rear.  So, not a problem- you just keep your existing non-deep front for training.  But if you then go to throw on a FLO or similar on the front for race day, you need to adjust the brakes for the wider rim.  This may or may not be a problem- depending on the brakes.  Some setups actually need you to use narrower pads to fit the 23mm wide brake surfaces.

So, maybe you want to just go wide on both front and rear... but that means going with a set of FLOs and Stages, or finding a good PT setup already in a set of race wheels off ebay.  

have fun.  there are a lot of very good choices here.  come back and show us pictures of what you eventually figure out.  At which point, I'll probably cheat off you.  I've got my PT laced to a Kinlin XR380 rim, which is a 38mm aero aluminum rim for every day, and I just use the 40mm TTR3 that came on my felt for the front.  So, it more or less looks like a match.  it's not the fastest combo for sure, but it works for racing and training without a problem.  I put a cover on the rear for Oly's and longer.

2013-09-11 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
if you go with a G3 hub it will be even easier and faster I found out after getting mine that the freehub simply pulls off so to get the cover on the harder side I will not need to remove my cassette.

2013-09-11 12:46 PM
in reply to: Exige

User image

Originally posted by Exige if you go with a G3 hub it will be even easier and faster I found out after getting mine that the freehub simply pulls off so to get the cover on the harder side I will not need to remove my cassette.

Same with the Pro+.

Ditto on the check the wheelbuilder site for frame compatibility though.  Researching bikes, and my options were limited since I want to continue to use the cover.

2013-09-12 1:34 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Beijing

Was browsing this thread and saw the recommendation for the "Stages" power meter.   I'd never heard of it, so I searched it up.

After reading this review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/06/stages-review-update.html

... think I'm sold on the tech.   Seems like a good price point, and allows for more flexibility in wheel selection, If you've got that option. 

2013-09-12 9:29 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Miami
Originally posted by moondawg14

Was browsing this thread and saw the recommendation for the "Stages" power meter.   I'd never heard of it, so I searched it up.

After reading this review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/06/stages-review-update.html

... think I'm sold on the tech.   Seems like a good price point, and allows for more flexibility in wheel selection, If you've got that option. 

I agree. I did a lot of research these past couple of days and I think that Stages could be the best option "for me".

Initially, I wanted to train and race in the same wheels, but I would like to have some flexibility on that. Also, this will allow me to find the best option of wheels (used, new, zipp, Flo, Reynolds, DT Swiss, etc.) without being restricted by a power meter. Finally, and probably, one of the main deciding factors is that, according to the review from DCRAINMAKER, they are very easy to install, remove and calibrate, which will help me not only to train and race in different wheels (if I want to), but also to train with power in my road bike and even when I travel (quite often for work) and don't have my bike.

The price is right, although with the new Powertap price is hard not wanting to get it over the Stages, that only measures power on your left leg. Hopefully there will be some offer at some point since I don't need them right now, I can wait a couple or three months.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power meter + Wheels question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Power Meter or Racing Wheels??? Pages: 1 2

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 2977 Posts: 28

2013-06-06 1:52 PM erincs

Power Meter/Wheel = Training + Racing

Started by runninirish
Views: 1709 Posts: 9

2012-08-13 6:44 AM Oriondriver02

power meter and wheel set

Started by evb4mvp
Views: 1353 Posts: 13

2011-11-07 10:59 PM evb4mvp

power meter and wheel set

Started by evb4mvp
Views: 494 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 11:32 AM evb4mvp

need recommendation power meter or disc wheel

Started by trix
Views: 2410 Posts: 21

2010-04-14 7:12 PM Skippy74
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.

date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.
date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.

date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : September 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.