World Triathlon Corporation
16C / 61F
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 27m 49s
Overall Rank = 759/1221
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 132/177
Pre-race routine:

Woke up way too early. Took the dog for a walk and potty. Woke the wife and kids and jumped in the van and drove down to the venue. Wife dropped me and went back to hotel.
Event warmup:

A brief splash around the water. Felt great in warmup.
Swim
  • 47m 37s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow. Daja Vu All over again. I did this race once before in 2009. In the first 100m my right goggle lens failed and I swam the whole race with one eye closed. This year I had one of those swim masks whick form a better seal. The horn goes off and 20m into the swim my eyes are full of water. This is a problem as I wear contacts and am almost blind without them. I roll over and try to fix them. No good. For the next 300m I struggle with them stopping every 50m. I seriously contemplate dropping out of the race. Eventually I swim up to a kayak, and take off the goggles fully, re-do the strap, adjust everything and it seems to have fixed the problem for the most part. By now my wave is long gone and the next wave has cought up. The rest of the swim was uneventful but I felt cautious and slow. I was cought by the next wave again - that's 20minutes lost to the better swimmrs. My right arm went numb again - this has been happening on long wetsuit swims. I think my old Desoto T1 wetsuit top is not fitting well anymore.
What would you do differently?:

Get new goggles - the one's I used are from 2010 and the seal is going on them. Get a new wetsuit - this one has too many patched rips and is digging into my arm pits.
Transition 1
  • 07m 50s
Comments:

This was a LOOOONG transition, but I expected it to be so. The run up from the lake is very long and steep so 4 minutes is automatically lost there. Becasue it was so cold, I conciously decided to take my time and get dressed - I put on arm warmers, a gillet (cycling vest), gloves. chamois cream, calf compression sleeves - all this was to ensure I was comfortable on the bike and did not loose more time due to the cold.
Bike
  • 3h 12m 15s
  • 94 kms
  • 29.34 km/hr
Comments:

In a nutshel - The fist part of the course is really easy, and the remainnig 93.5km are hard. Fortunately cycling is the least weak of my three disciplines, I also knew the course so I was pretty comfortable with what was ahead of me. Basically it was "grind and climb up a steep hill forllowed by rest while coasting down a steep little descent, a sharp turn" and then repeat over and over and over again.
I rode this very conservatively and much slower than I potentially could, leaving my legs still usable for the run. The only problem I had was that my chain kept dropping off the front little gear. Twice I had to dismount and fix it. It only seems to happen on this course.

Transition 2
  • 04m 29s
Comments:

Took it easy again, carefully stripped my clothes. I actually went to pee in T1 for the first time in over 30 races. This was a good sign - meaning I drank plenty during the ride and was not is a hydration debt to start the run.
Run
  • 2h 15m 39s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 26s  min/km
Comments:

The run is my other weaknes. in 2009 Muskoka I walked the last 5km. I did not want a repeat of that. So I decided to race smart. Every 2km at the aid stations I walked. I took pleanty od water, coke, and gummies. Every steep hill I walked. Mywife and kids were cheeringi on the bridge and I got some kisses. I arrived to the turnaround feeling good. By the back half I was tired and out of energy, and walking every kilometer but I was still mostly running.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight and lack of fitness. I'm 20lbs heavier than i was 2 years ago at IMC2011.

Event comments:

Great race - a tough course but I hope they don't change a thing.

Last updated: 2013-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:37 | 2000 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/177
Overall: 0/1221
Performance: Bad
Suit: Desoto T1
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:12:15 | 94 kms | 29.34 km/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course had some dangerous parts, some bid bumps in the asphalt during descents and some rough surface.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:15:39 | 21.1 kms | 06m 26s  min/km
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-10 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muskoka
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muskoka Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Muskoka

Started by Smitty1984
Views: 1702 Posts: 2

2010-09-17 7:30 AM juniperjen

Ironman 70.3 Muskoka

Started by ptri
Views: 1881 Posts: 2

2010-09-15 12:59 PM juniperjen

Ironman 70.3 Muskoka

Started by jmoreng
Views: 1693 Posts: 3

2010-09-23 1:42 PM crmorton

Ironman 70.3 Muskoka

Started by rbuike
Views: 1793 Posts: 3

2010-09-17 11:42 AM rbuike

Ironman 70.3 Muskoka

Started by ff_jeff
Views: 3017 Posts: 8

2009-12-15 8:25 PM ff_jeff
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.