General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Note on Tight Fitting Tri Clothes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-12 7:31 AM

Subject: A Note on Tight Fitting Tri Clothes
first a little background info, im 6' 199lbs (not officially a clyde anymore) i have lost alot of weight over the last year, but im still at 24% body fat, so im still pretty pudgey.
I finally broke down and bought a zoot tri shirt for my upcoming tri this weekend, i already had shorts. When it showed up in the mail i immediatly tried it on, it shows off my love handle and man boobs quite nicely and i was about to send it back. The i got on BT and read other people talking about feeling awkward in these clothes and the advice they were given was to essensially get over it becuase no one else at the race cares how you look they are too busy worrying about how they look...
OK, im gonna wear it, i went to the gym this morning after work to give the shirt a try in the pool, i never felt so weird as when i did getting into the pool with this ridiculous thing on... then i started to swim.
Normally, with just my tri shorts on i can get across the pool in 20 strokes, with swim trunks its 22, well, with my tri shorts and this embarrisingly tight shirt im getting across in 17 strokes. and thats after working a 12 hour night shift, where as i normally swim in the morning when im fresh.
That 15% fewer strokes! Thats huge. Thats 48 less strokes in the 400 meter, the equivalent of swimming 60 meter with zero extra effort...
Needless to say, i am a big fan of this shirt that makes me look pudgier then i am.

I'm not writing this entirely to brag, i just want other people, who may have found themselves embarrassed while staring in the mirror and maybe still couldn't stop thinking of what others might think, to have another angle to look at this situation from. I love statistics and numbers, so this quantifiable gain makes it much easier for me to deal with looking silly then any motivational words possibly could. if you don't beleive me, go to the gym once with that outfit you think makes you look fatter then you are and test it.

please forgive all the typing errors, like i said, i've been at work all night, its time for bed.

2013-09-12 7:54 AM
in reply to: seiken

User image

Subject: RE: A Note on Tight Fitting Tri Clothes
I'll have to try and find it, but I vaguely remember an article from my undergrad psychology that also said (in the dicussion), people tend to work out harder when they are in tighter fitting attire because they do like and critique themselves and find flaws (if they are there or not)
2013-09-12 12:43 PM
in reply to: seiken

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Sort of along the same lines... one season on Biggest Loser the contestants bought an expensive outfit in the size they WANTED to be. It hung in their bedroom out in the open so they could see it every day. It was something visible they were working towards - fitting into that outfit. 

Has anyone ever done that? 
I know sometimes I'll buy something that fits a little too tight on purpose to motivate me to lose just enough so it looks better on me.  

2013-09-12 12:53 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

I do - normally not a huge jump down - but like the next smaller size and it helps me for motivation...of course, I also have a bunch of larger skirts hanging in my closest that I never wore because I was losing weight
2013-09-17 12:59 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by lisac957

Sort of along the same lines... one season on Biggest Loser the contestants bought an expensive outfit in the size they WANTED to be. It hung in their bedroom out in the open so they could see it every day. It was something visible they were working towards - fitting into that outfit. 

Has anyone ever done that? 
I know sometimes I'll buy something that fits a little too tight on purpose to motivate me to lose just enough so it looks better on me.  

Just this lunchtime I bought a belt (having slimmed out of my old one :-)) which will just do up on the biggest notch. Very motivating to be able to work down thorugh the nothces as I slim down.

Regarding the OP. Any chance the new top gives you some core support that would explain the more efficient stroke. Also in swimming a good degree of leg lift (vital for speed and gliding comes from the water you push under your body with your stroke. Maybe the top is assiting that process?
2014-11-27 3:56 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by MissJess 2014-11-27 3:56 PM

2014-11-28 7:26 PM
in reply to: MissJess

I'm 240lbs and did my first tri in September. Here's a look.....

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (395KB - 11 downloads)
2014-11-28 7:27 PM
in reply to: Jcdyess

And that's one of the better one's. Lol
2015-02-21 7:27 PM
in reply to: Jcdyess

New user
Green Bay, WI
One of my first Tri's was for my team triumph and the Tri top they gave me fit more like a condom. I felt pretty embarrassed but at the end of the day it wasn't about what I looked like. It was about the journey.

One thing i have done is I have an old belt that at one time I could not wear or if I did it was on the last hole. As I started losing weight keep going back to that belt as my gauge. Not only have I shrunk out of that belt but I've now drilled new holes in it so it wraps around my side. My wife hates it when I wear it but I pull it out once in awhile as a reminder. I will NEVER get rid of it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Note on Tight Fitting Tri Clothes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HELP- I need Tri Clothes that fit!!!!

Started by Superpj00
Views: 1037 Posts: 2

2010-06-14 8:17 PM sharkbelly

What's your favorite Clydesdale tri/training clothing?

Started by EjustE
Views: 3638 Posts: 9

2009-10-08 12:23 PM themickeyd

Sewing my own Tri clothes?

Started by Oceandirt
Views: 6448 Posts: 11

2009-07-28 2:37 PM Mett

Men's Tri-Clothing for the larger guys

Started by Lance26.2
Views: 11233 Posts: 23

2015-07-27 9:08 AM Jabrodnax

Womens Size L - Run/Bike/Tri Clothes - Cheap

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 1169 Posts: 5

2007-09-25 12:45 PM SunnyS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 17, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.

date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : January 5, 2009
author : AMSSM
When I was only a runner, I didn't have this issue. But now, going into my third year as a triathlete, my calves and occasionally my Achilles are tight and painful throughout most of my mileage.
date : October 15, 2008
At about the 1/2 mile mark my left soleus becomes extremely tight and painful. The pain then progresses into my left arch and then into my left knee.

date : April 14, 2008
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : March 6, 2008
Often pain occurs with the first steps of the day or at the beginning of a run when that tight fascia gets stretched and microtears occur. But pain can also develop with prolonged standing and worsen.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.