General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee pain, ouch Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-12 7:00 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Subject: Knee pain, ouch
A couple weeks ago on a run my right knee started hurting, around 2 miles into a 5k or so. (I rarely plan a specific distance on my runs, usually at least a 5k and then however else more I feel like.) I pushed through it and finished 4 miles. I couldn't walk right without limping for a few days.

Went out for a run tonight and the same pain came back, and at less than a mile into the run. I turned around and went home. Just over 2 miles and probably more walking than running.

The knee hadn't bothered me regularly since a few days after the last time. I've been on a couple of rides since then, and they didn't aggregate it either that I noticed. (22 miles, and over 30 on the next one which was 3 days ago.)

Discomfort is on the outside of my right knee. Makes me start hopping a bit, with the right leg swinging out and causing a limp.

I've had normal(?) pain and soreness since I started running a few years ago, but this is the first time that anything really hurt beyond some tightness or cramping. Lately, no real lingering soreness either, I'm not getting much faster but overall things feel much better the last several months.

What gives? I want to proceed carefully so I don't seriously injure myself, but I'm hoping I don't have to quit for too long as running comes the hardest to me and will take longer to get back into than biking or swimming does.

2013-10-16 8:52 AM
in reply to: faded_memories

User image

Master
MidWest
Subject: RE: Knee pain, ouch

I had been dealing with chronic knee pain for several years before getting it checked out.  I ended up with a meniscus tear and no cartilage between my joints. My knee would become sore from just sitting while eating dinner.  Depending on how the pain is, that could be an idea.  I go in today for a surgical consult on my other knee--same issues.   

2013-10-18 11:23 AM

This just happened to me to. I went to see a physiotherapist. The cause is tightness of the tendon that runs from the hip to the knee.It is called the
"iliotibial band" more commonly called the IT Band.
I have been told to stretch it 3 times a day for a week them resume running. The physio said it is common and seemed confidant that the streching would solve the problem.
Trying to describe the streching technique is a bit long winded, but is you search that topic you will find the details
I will report back in a couple of weeks to say how it worked for me.
2013-10-18 11:33 AM

This just happened to me to. I went to see a physiotherapist. The cause is tightness of the tendon that runs from the hip to the knee.It is called the
"iliotibial band" more commonly called the IT Band.
I have been told to stretch it 3 times a day for a week them resume running. The physio said it is common and seemed confidant that the streching would solve the problem.
Trying to describe the streching technique is a bit long winded, but is you search that topic you will find the details
I will report back in a couple of weeks to say how it worked for me.
2013-10-21 12:03 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by faded_memoriesA couple weeks ago on a run my right knee started hurting, around 2 miles into a 5k or so. (I rarely plan a specific distance on my runs, usually at least a 5k and then however else more I feel like.) I pushed through it and finished 4 miles. I couldn't walk right without limping for a few days.Went out for a run tonight and the same pain came back, and at less than a mile into the run. I turned around and went home. Just over 2 miles and probably more walking than running.The knee hadn't bothered me regularly since a few days after the last time. I've been on a couple of rides since then, and they didn't aggregate it either that I noticed. (22 miles, and over 30 on the next one which was 3 days ago.)Discomfort is on the outside of my right knee. Makes me start hopping a bit, with the right leg swinging out and causing a limp.I've had normal(?) pain and soreness since I started running a few years ago, but this is the first time that anything really hurt beyond some tightness or cramping. Lately, no real lingering soreness either, I'm not getting much faster but overall things feel much better the last several months.What gives? I want to proceed carefully so I don't seriously injure myself, but I'm hoping I don't have to quit for too long as running comes the hardest to me and will take longer to get back into than biking or swimming does.
Sounds like ITBand syndrome as someone else mentioned but I would suggest getting it schecked by an orthopedist.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee pain, ouch Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

knee pain that stops me in my tracks / one knee or the other

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 1099 Posts: 1

2012-08-16 8:11 PM SEADOCHA

Knee Pain on Inner Knee (Recently switched bikes)

Started by Molnarc2
Views: 1858 Posts: 4

2012-04-05 7:56 PM bicyclefitguru

Biking & Knee pain ( Right knee only)

Started by b2673ad
Views: 1516 Posts: 5

2009-10-22 11:02 AM b2673ad

Weird knee pain.. below knee

Started by KauaiShan
Views: 1452 Posts: 6

2009-04-11 3:11 PM KauaiShan

knee pain + foot pain - what is it?

Started by jesswah
Views: 987 Posts: 1

2007-09-11 4:20 PM jesswah
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : May 21, 2010
comments : 2
Woke up at 7am and physically could not walk. Pain was shooting in my knee (almost dropped me to my knees). Later I went to my sports doc. He could not simulate the pain whatsoever.
date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : December 19, 2008
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.
date : August 12, 2008
After about 45-60 minutes of generally light jogging I am getting shooting pain in the left side of the knee under the patella.

date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?
date : October 3, 2007
The symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of iliotibial band syndrome caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band during activities like running.

date : January 16, 2007
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.