General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anyone use horse liniment for sore muscles? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-14 1:57 PM

Veteran
Subject: anyone use horse liniment for sore muscles?
My 87 year old mother has an 86 year old "gentlemen friend" who is having back problems- i.e. sore back. She told him to use horse liniment to soothe the soreness. He ran it by his Dr., and he ok'd it. Apparently, it was used a lot when my mother was growing up, because back then they didn't have Ben Gay, or other ointments or treatments.

I have done a little research and have found that it is supposed to be safe (but not approved by the FDA) for use on humans in small amounts. The liniment should not contain DMSO- it causes blisters. Also, one should wear gloves while applying it, or wash hands thoroughly because you can have major issues if it gets into your eyes, nose or mouth. One brand name- Absormine- makes a weaker strength ointment that is designed for human use- Absormine Jr. This is supposed to be cheaper than any other brands
( i.e. Ben Gay, Icy/Hot, Tiger Balm or Biofreeze) that are designed for use by humans.

Have any of you had any experience with using this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2013-09-14 2:18 PM
in reply to: punkster

User image

New user
KY
Subject: RE: anyone use horse liniment for sore muscles?
Yep. I ride racehorses for a living, so have easy access to many equine products. Absorbine is a great product, as is Sore No More. And yes, you definitely should stay away from DMSO, especially females. It can wreak havoc on the reproductive system.
2013-09-14 4:34 PM
in reply to: erinrockrun

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
Subject: RE: anyone use horse liniment for sore muscles?
Horse liniment works wonders! I have been using it for years and I have only good things to say about it. It makes sore muscles feel much better post workout.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anyone use horse liniment for sore muscles? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Can you get sore muscles from dehydration?

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 11624 Posts: 6

2009-08-23 7:36 PM DrPete

Indoor Trainer Ride and Seriously Sore Legs Muscles?

Started by supa-powa
Views: 854 Posts: 6

2009-04-28 8:09 AM kagoscuba

Sore/tight muscles

Started by lil_turtle
Views: 1091 Posts: 8

2007-11-21 9:07 AM KathyG

sore and popping knees and cramping left shin muscle

Started by peatmoss
Views: 1097 Posts: 3

2004-07-12 6:15 PM Tri4life

Sore muscles

Started by heatheryan
Views: 747 Posts: 3

2004-04-26 1:35 AM bootygirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How do you know the difference between muscle soreness and an injury? Learn several techniques to alleviate muscle soreness after a hard workout.

date : January 17, 2012
Pain in the hamstring region can be very frustrating and challenging for triathletes - healing may take several weeks and there are many factors that may complicate the eventual outcome.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : November 12, 2008
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : May 21, 2007
comments : 2
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.

date : July 17, 2005
Yesterday I was a little sore, and today, whenever I bend over to pick something up, standing up again hurts badly. Have I done some sort of permanent damage? What can I do to rehab this area?