General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Less than 7 weeks to IMFL and NOW starting to have knee pain on bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-16 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Kannapolis, NC
Subject: Less than 7 weeks to IMFL and NOW starting to have knee pain on bike
I have been experiencing some strange knee pain on my long bike rides for the last 3-4 weeks now. It started during one of the long rides, probably about 80 or so miles into it (I've done 80's before - it was not the first). I've had issues witch chafing on the bike and was shifting around more than usual on the ride. In hindsight I actually think that the shifting around and pushing the right knee out while being clipped in did something to my knee. The pain is in my right knee only and is mainly there when I push down. It goes from being there sometimes to being excruciating if I want to stand up and push down for climbing. I've since been back to my bike fitter (even though nothing has changed on the bike setup) and explained the issue. He said that this sounds like something that is being caused by leg discrepancy (which I know I have but we have never done anything about it since it's not much and it was never an issue), but he is also baffled why it would affect me now. I do sit slightly more to the right, so he put a little shim under my right cleat to see if this would solve the issue.
I went out for a 80 mile ride last Saturday and about 60 miles into it the pain started again. It's just on the outside of my right knee, goes slightly around the back of the knee/upper calf and the sometimes radiates all the way to my ankle. At times it feels like I am trying to ride with a broken leg.
The good thing is, that it does not affect my run at all. I can get off the bike, hurting, and start running just fine.
I am doing Augusta half in less than 2 weeks and I am doing FL as my first full. I am so stressed out about this now. What do I do? Keep biking (could I make it worse?), or take a break (I don't really want to as now comes the real meat of the bike rides), see a doc? (Orthopedic?)

2013-09-16 11:08 AM
in reply to: Chubby

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Less than 7 weeks to IMFL and NOW starting to have knee pain on bike
Could be many things and I'd recommend a good PT but it sounds similar to something I dealt with last year:  the peroneals.  Pain would be on the outside of the leg below the knee and will radiate to the ankle, especially just below the lateral malleolus.  If it's within the lateral knee joint itself, I'd think more ITBS.  I would find a good PT for treatment.  I ended up just rolling it and did a little treatment but didn't think much of it until it blew up on me on race day.
2013-09-16 12:45 PM
in reply to: FF Stock

Subject: RE: Less than 7 weeks to IMFL and NOW starting to have knee pain on bike
I recently got a new tri bike and on my fourth ride started experiencing knee pain. Happened again really bad on the fifth ride, which was longer, but I was able to do my long run the next day with no problem. So I did a little reading on here and found that I might need to be re-fit. Took my bike into the shop, he checked my fit, and said my stroke had improved a lot and my seat needed to be lowered a little. Took measurements, adjusted my seat, and since then I have not had any issues.
2013-09-16 1:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
GO see a sports ortho and get evaluated.  Its probably a tendiopathy or muscle strain but they can get you some meds and refer you to PT.  With out a drs refreral to PT you will pay out of pocket might as well let your insurance pay for it

Edited by Socks 2013-09-16 1:10 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Less than 7 weeks to IMFL and NOW starting to have knee pain on bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Modified swim start for IMFL

Started by katybug34
Views: 934 Posts: 2

2013-08-06 8:30 AM GMAN 19030

new TT bike with a little over 3 weeks for half IM

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 1862 Posts: 6

2011-07-27 10:02 PM mlanahan

IMFL start/finish line

Started by brian
Views: 980 Posts: 8

2007-07-26 10:20 AM runnergirl

40 weeks to IMFL (1-28-07)

Started by jcjsc00
Views: 1320 Posts: 11

2007-02-05 2:28 PM bestbets

IMFL 2005, A little friendly competition?

Started by MJuric
Views: 855 Posts: 2

2005-09-22 10:08 AM JohnnyKay
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : May 21, 2010
comments : 2
Woke up at 7am and physically could not walk. Pain was shooting in my knee (almost dropped me to my knees). Later I went to my sports doc. He could not simulate the pain whatsoever.
date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : December 19, 2008
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.
date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?

date : October 3, 2007
The symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of iliotibial band syndrome caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band during activities like running.
date : January 16, 2007
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.

date : May 1, 2006
This month I upped my bike time a lot but at relatively low intensity and I started experiencing pain on the outside lower part of my knee. It did not affect anything other than cycling.