General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheels: aero vs. weight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-20 8:56 AM

User image

Miami
Subject: Wheels: aero vs. weight
I am looking to buy a set of wheels for next year and I am torn both on the brand and the set up I want, since I find that I either make my decision based on the weight or on the aero performance of the wheels and I am not sure what of these two factors is more relevant.

There is the argument that more weight will have a negative effect when going up hill (not worry to much about accelerations), but how much or how much incline the terrain needs to be (mountain? rolling hills?) to have a significant negative effect vs. a wheel/set up that is more aero and performs better in flat-ish conditions?

I was considering a set up with a rear wheel deeper than the front wheel (i.e. 60/90 (FLO), 404/808 (ZIPP), etc.). But should I go instead for a 60/60 or 404/404 to save some weight or having a deeper rear wheel will benefit me more than the weight saved? Should I even forget about this and buy lightwheels and a wheel cover for the rear wheel?

2013-09-20 8:59 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Subject: RE: Wheels: aero vs. weight
If you are going to do bike racing stuff, stick with 60mm and smaller. Some races won't allow deeper rims.

If you are going to do drafting legal, stop and go, slow down/speed up type racing, go with lighter.

For time trial and triathlon type racing aero beats weight hands down.

Unless you are going on a completely uphill race, you will be faster with deeper wheels than you will with lighter ones.

2013-09-20 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

unless you are doing real climbing, not just hills, you don't need to worry about weight.  for solo efforts and triathlon aero > weight.  

for the flo 60/90 combo: many people initially thought this was a good idea, but with the latest aero data a lot of people who went this route are trying to sell off that 60 and get a 90. just depends how windy it is where you live/race and how confident you are on a bike. the 90 upfront took some time for me to get used to, but isn't an issue for me anymore.

i would go with a 60/60 or 404/404 if i was also looking to also use the wheel set on a road bike for cycling races outside of triathlon/TT.

2013-09-20 9:05 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Deep front, disc (or disc cover) rear.
2013-09-20 9:12 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Miami
Originally posted by DanielG

If you are going to do bike racing stuff, stick with 60mm and smaller. Some races won't allow deeper rims.

If you are going to do drafting legal, stop and go, slow down/speed up type racing, go with lighter.

Unless you are going on a completely uphill race, you will be faster with deeper wheels than you will with lighter ones.

Good points Daniel. I forgot to mention that I mostly do non-draft legal triathlons.

At the moment, I live in South Florida, therefore the terrain where I train is flat, but I do some out of state races with rolling hills.
2013-09-20 9:18 AM

User image

Originally posted by davidfedez

Originally posted by DanielG

Good points Daniel. I forgot to mention that I mostly do non-draft legal triathlons.

At the moment, I live in South Florida, therefore the terrain where I train is flat, but I do some out of state races with rolling hills.

If your races are solo, no groups, and you're not in the middle of the Alps or Rockies, disc rear and 90mm front or 90/60 are two great choices.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheels: aero vs. weight Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri spoke vs hi profile aero wheel

Started by new_tri6
Views: 1240 Posts: 6

2012-02-19 7:35 AM japarker24

Clincher vs. Tubular Wheel set weight Pages: 1 2

Started by bryancd
Views: 2781 Posts: 42

2010-04-15 3:35 PM Steve314

Wheel selection: aero vs weight

Started by jszat
Views: 1316 Posts: 12

2008-08-13 10:51 AM Daremo

Aero Helmet vs. Aero Wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by Tri-Atlanta
Views: 3567 Posts: 27

2006-08-02 6:10 AM Daz

Wheels...weight vs aerodynamics vs price

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 742 Posts: 4

2005-08-29 11:30 AM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 11, 2011
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : August 17, 2007
author : daveo1101
comments : 4
Being a fast swimmer put me up with the faster athletes. As expected, they started to pass me soon out of transition. Some would just slowly pass. Others with aero wheels would literally buzz by.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.