United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 8s
Overall Rank = 43/94
Age Group = W 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/14
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race dinner was at an awsome new Micro Brewery just a few miles from my house. We did a "flight" or sampler and tried some great beers and good food. I had the buffalo frito pie and hoped it wouldn't haunt me race morning.

Morning of... alarm goes off at 5:30 and get up and dressed. Toast some PopTarts and load my gear in to the car. Stop at SBux for a pre-race chai to enjoy with my poptarts and make the drive to Santa Fe. It was a beautiful and relaxing drive with the sun coming up and the sunrise views of Santa Fe.

Once I got to the race site I found nice transition spot about half-way through the racks. Then I went in and picked up my timing chip and got body marked. The bathrooms inside the community center were open for use (yay).
Event warmup:

I knew that transition would close 15 minutes before the race start so I could use that time to warm up. It was a brisk morning so I stood wearing my sweats and chatting with the racers nearby until transition closed.

Once transition closed I did some slow jogging down to the start line then did some strides to get warmed up.
Swim
  • 11m 29s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Because I'd heard the pool heater was broken I expected the water to be chilly but it felt pretty good when I jumped in. I took off from the first wall and it didn't take long before i saw, once again, that blue/white kit. She got a bit ahead of me but I never lost sight of her feet. As I approached people from behind I drafted for a while until I could pass them.

As we turned at the first wall I wasn't far behind #171 and started to gain on her. Of course there were the occasional frog-kickers to navigate around but I kept an eye on #171. About half way in to the swim I caught and passed her! WooHoo!

At that point I was trying to stay strong, stay long and be smart about being faster. When I swam to the last wall I stopped and looked for the stairs. They were a few feet behind me so I lost a few seconds going too far at the end.
What would you do differently?:

I am pretty happy with this swim, considering my ability. I beat last years time. yay.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

I had the 7th fastest T1 time. This is a reverse tri so it's basically run shoes off, bike shoes on, helmet on, GO!

Noting really
Bike
  • 45m 49s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I like this bike course. Lots of rolling hills, some traffic circles, a few corners, good stuff. As I headed downhill on Richards away from the community center I was passed by #171. She'd beat me on the run but I had a faster T1. I figured I'd see soon enough what she had on the hills. Sure enough as we started the first hill i caught and passed her, then she passed me on the down. That continued for pretty much the whole bike.

I was passing other people, and occasionally getting passed myself. Vehicle traffic was mostly non-existant but at one point, as I was approaching a traffic circle, I could hear a car behind me. That's no good. Cars and bikes don't fit in to traffic circles together. Fortunately the race volunteer stopped the car and let the racers through first.

As we approached the end of the bike I knew I had to drop #171 and give myself a nice cushion going in to the swim... cause we all know my brick-like swimming abilities. Like the run course, the bike course ends on a hill so #171 was behind me, I just didn't know how far.

Keep working on bike fitness. I don't ease off on down hills but people that I've passed up hill seem to catch me going down.
Transition 2
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Just after I got through the dismount and was starting to go toward my transition spot someone hit Fi from behind and knocked her out of my hand. That's the first time she's ever fallen to the ground :-( My first thought was to check her for damage but I decided it would still be the same after the swim so I jog/walked toward my spot.

I got to my spot, pulled off shoes, socks, race belt and shades, grabbed my goggles and put on flip flops. As I was headed to the exit there was #171. She wasn't wearing shoes and was tender-footing through the transistion area and down to the pool. I knew that I had to gain enough time wearing my flip flops to justify the time putting them on/off and to buy me some swim time.

Not drop Fi :'-(
Run
  • 29m 9s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 50s  min/km
Comments:

This is a reverse tri so the run is first. I love the start of this race with the quiet morning and the pounding of several hundred feet on the road. You don't get to experience that at most tri's because the crowd is so spread out by the run.

As we headed down Rodeo I felt pretty good and tried to just enjoy the slight downhill. I tried to keep an eye on the ponytail lady but lost track of her once we turned on the MUP.

As I headed down the MUP the leaders started coming back at me. I like out n backs because I enjoy seeing the people ahead of me (and knowing how many are behind me).

At the turnaround there was a water station so I grabbed a cup off the table. I somehow managed to grab an empty one so I poured a splash from the cooler then downed it and headed back. I had to re-pass some folks I'd passed before the turnaround but not bad. As I headed back up the MUP I found myself continually passing people.

Somewhere along the MUP I saw her, #171. She was in my AG and was wearing a distinctive light blue and white kit. I would be seeing a LOT of that kit over the next hour.

Toward the end of the run we pass a fire station. As a passed the FD I heard a voice from the FD say "Nice job Mr. Mayor" and a friendly response from a man behind me. Cool, I guess I'm racing the mayor of Santa Fe!

Last year I walked more of this run than I would care to admit. This year I had the short water stop and then walked part of the steep hill back up to transition. Funny my time was faster last year though. Hmph

BTW the first two OA women for the run were in my AG.

I'm pretty happy with this run but will continue to work on my run fitness
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed the finish line they handed me a ribbon that I'm sure read "participant" the first time I looked at it ;-)

I went over to grab my flip flops then searched out #171. I walked up to her and told her nice job and that she'd really challenged me. She said that I made her go faster as well but that she hadn't really trained and had a cramp on the swim. Oh well, we can only race what's there right?

I grabbed a banana and granola bar then stood and watched as the mayor finished. Cool!

After a while I wandered back up to transition where I got to encourage a few people coming off the bike as I packed up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess I haven't been training too seriously either. I've been s/b/r-ing but not with any intensity.

Event comments:

OA rank is for women only. There is no OA with both men and women.

This is a fun race. The organizers do a nice job, there is a nice supply of post race food and a massage tent. This is the second year I've done this one and I would gladly do it again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:29 | 400 meters | 02m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 43/94
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Serpentine in a 50 meter pool. Down one lane back the next.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:49 | 12 miles | 15.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/14
Overall: 39/94
Wind: Little
Course: An out and back course on the streets of Santa Fe. Call them rolling hills or undulations but it's pretty much either uphill or downhill on this course. Not a lot of flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:09 | 05 kms | 05m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 9/14
Overall: 48/94
Course: Down Rodeo Rd for about a mile then we turn left on to the MUP for a quick out-n-back of about half mile then continue back up the MUP to the community center
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-23 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: City of Santa Fe Triathlon

2013-09-23 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4861858

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: City of Santa Fe Triathlon
Good job TJ.  I like the idea of a reverse race, but I fear giving too much back at the end, due to my bricklike swimming as well
2013-09-24 11:20 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Well done! Nice "rolling" hills. I must have been riding on flat as pancakes this weekend. lol

Ahhhh...swimming like a brick. I figure it takes a lot of strength and determination for a brick to swim. Laughing

They have reverses around here quite often. I'd like to try one sometime...maybe next May when it will feel amazingly good to jump in pool at the end.

2013-09-24 11:43 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I started reading your RR without remembering that it was a reverse tri and thoroughly confused myself! 

Very cool that you had someone to play leapfrog with for the race, and then catch her at the end.

Great job TJ!! 

2013-09-24 5:11 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle

Hmmmm I might consider coming out of retirement for a reverse tri heh heh.

Haha a finishers ribbon. That made me smile.

Nice work, and treat Fi better!

2013-09-24 5:42 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Nice work!  I have never done a reverse tri, sounds fun..

It was funny reading the references to #171 in the swim and bike portions without the background of it being a reverse that you were using her as a rabbit to chase  

2013-09-25 7:20 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Melon Presser

Conspankulations!

Solid race, smokin' transitions, and so glad Fi is OK!!!

Oh, and you too

2013-09-25 12:03 PM
in reply to: TriAya

Master
Northern IL
Nice going!
2013-09-25 1:51 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pennsylvania
Poor Fi, being assaulted!  Glad you and she are both OK.  Congrats on beating your own time and having a good race!
2013-09-25 4:08 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando
I missed that this was a reverse tri and I thought my reading comprehension had really left me when I read about you seeing the kit "again"! I'm a little slow, butI finally got it figured out. Great job with everything!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Santa Fe Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

City of Santa Fe Triathlon

Started by RockTractor
Views: 1367 Posts: 3

2010-08-16 2:37 PM trinity

Started by trinity
Views: 1237 Posts: 3

2010-07-19 10:44 AM RockTractor

Started by abqtj
Views: 1841 Posts: 4

2010-08-16 2:40 PM trinity

Started by Pilgrim
Views: 1337 Posts: 1

2009-07-18 8:23 PM Pilgrim

Started by twylite148
Views: 1326 Posts: 1

2009-07-18 12:30 PM twylite148
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon