General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New IRONMAN World Record-Youngest Female Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-09-24 5:31 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

NC
Subject: RE: New IRONMAN World Record-Youngest Female Ever!
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by fubar44 So what should be the minimum age for someone to be able to compete in iron-distance races then?
26yo.

why this arbitrary age? at 23 I felt like my body handled it just fine.

I don't know. Question asked, answer given?

2013-09-24 5:38 PM
in reply to: emm372

User image

NC
Originally posted by emm372

Who cares if she gets burnt out, it's her life to do as she pleases and whatever makes her happy. Sarah do not feel defeated by what others think because there are going to be discouraging people in all aspects of life and it's what you make of it that determines greatness. I pity the ones who find time out of their day to log on to this thread and feel the need to say anything but words of praise to a 17 yr old girl, to that I say don't quit your day job!

Welcome to BT. If you read carefully, you will see that the people (person?) that expressed concern about her age was from the perspective of the development of an elite level triathlete that could compete for many years. So, they would care, even if you don't, if she burned out. Sarah handled herself very well in this thread, so good for her and I imagine we can all do without your pity.

If the OP didn't expect discussion of this topic, rather than your expectation of only cheers of praise, they probably shouldn't have posted on a, you know, discussion forum. The discussion of younger triathletes going long course is a time-honored tradition. It seems Sarah was very well prepared to handle that discussion.

2013-09-24 6:13 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by emm372Who cares if she gets burnt out, it's her life to do as she pleases and whatever makes her happy. Sarah do not feel defeated by what others think because there are going to be discouraging people in all aspects of life and it's what you make of it that determines greatness. I pity the ones who find time out of their day to log on to this thread and feel the need to say anything but words of praise to a 17 yr old girl, to that I say don't quit your day job!
Welcome to BT. If you read carefully, you will see that the people (person?) that expressed concern about her age was from the perspective of the development of an elite level triathlete that could compete for many years. So, they would care, even if you don't, if she burned out. Sarah handled herself very well in this thread, so good for her and I imagine we can all do without your pity. If the OP didn't expect discussion of this topic, rather than your expectation of only cheers of praise, they probably shouldn't have posted on a, you know, discussion forum. The discussion of younger triathletes going long course is a time-honored tradition. It seems Sarah was very well prepared to handle that discussion.
What I found interesting is how many people were posting about her age but didn't even ACKNOWLEDGE her presence on the thread, let alone congratulate her on an awesome accomplishment. I can't think of a better way to address a concern about her age and training load than by asking her directly for her input. Acknowledging her accomplishment and expressing concern don't have to be mutually exclusive.
2013-09-24 6:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NC
Originally posted by switch
Acknowledging her accomplishment and expressing concern don't have to be mutually exclusive.

The first post that raised the issue of her age did both.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-09-24 6:18 PM
2013-09-24 6:27 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by switchAcknowledging her accomplishment and expressing concern don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Guess I'm must waitin on dudes like you then GD.
2013-09-24 7:03 PM
in reply to: snm_tri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats, Sarah, on having the guts to see the training and race through to the finish. I understand pretty well--first marathon at 14, youngest qualifier for Olympic Trials Marathon in 1988 (qualified at 17). Like you, I had a lot of people telling me I couldn't/shouldn't do it. Perhaps some justification based on research on elite athletes, etc. But....

We are all in this for our own reasons; which may not necessarily to become an elite or professional athlete. Ultimately we answer to ourselves for our choices. I did what I did when I did because I could, and I wanted to while I knew I could, both physically and in terms of where I was in life (good coach, great time and place to train) at the time. I don't regret it and I don't imagine you will either. Cherish your accomplishment, recover well, train in moderation, and continue to pursue your dreams in sports and/or elsewhere.

2013-09-24 7:29 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Wow! That is impressive. It's stories like yours that inspired me to do this event. I fell in love with the ironman triathlon when I first saw it on tv with my dad. He is my training partner, biggest supporter and most of all my best friend. If any of you are wondering, he did not force me to race ever and he was even apprehensive of me doing this race at first, but I showed him through my training that I was ready. I knew I always wanted to do an ironman and it just happened sooner rather than later for me. I would not have competed if I knew I was not ready. Being out on the course with the other athletes was a remarkable experience and the support I received from them was incredible. Every athlete out on the course has overcome some sort of obstacle to be there that day, while some may be bigger than others, it doesn't take away the fact that they are all special. Now THAT is what I love about triathlon!
2013-09-24 7:48 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

NC
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by switchAcknowledging her accomplishment and expressing concern don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Guess I'm must waitin on dudes like you then GD.

I complimented her a couple times, on things I feel are more important than finishing a race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New IRONMAN World Record-Youngest Female Ever! Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Berlin Marathon: new world record

Started by BigDH
Views: 2000 Posts: 24

2011-09-27 7:50 PM gerald12

Ironman Austria - New World Record!

Started by dbrawders
Views: 3566 Posts: 22

2011-07-03 7:55 PM southwestmba

World record holder to skip Olympic marathon

Started by the bear
Views: 1644 Posts: 22

2008-03-12 7:56 AM Nelg

Blind Triathlete Aaron Scheidies Breaks World Record

Started by CitySky
Views: 956 Posts: 10

2007-10-23 7:13 AM run4yrlif

World Record Attempt -24 hour Treadmill

Started by michlmead
Views: 865 Posts: 3

2007-03-04 11:03 AM Rich01
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.

date : May 20, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I just finished my first Ironman - New Zealand, sub 12 hours. I am looking to improve my performance through training but wondering what equipment would help me towards a better performance?
date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Tim DeBoom is a 2 time World Ironman Champion. In the following interview he answers several of our members questions.

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!

My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.