General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need IM Training Plan Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-23 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
Subject: Need IM Training Plan Advice
I know this has probably been asked 1000s of times but I could use some help is selecting a plan for what will be my 1st IM distance next year @ Challenge AC. Some background...

- MOP/BOP guy
- Don't have the money needed for a coach.
- Completed 1 HIM, 1 Marathon, and bunch of other tris and road races
- Somewhat time constrained...I have 3 kids under the age of 5 and a job id like to keep so I can reasonable expect to put in a max of 10-12 hours most weeks.
- My wife is fully supportive.
- My goal is to finish while having a fun, enjoyable day.

Any suggestions on plans (from BT, books, web-based, etc) would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

2013-09-23 8:24 PM
in reply to: PanicTour

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Need IM Training Plan Advice
I think the BT Beginner IM plan would be good. No way around a couple of 5-6 hour rides and 3 hour runs, but otherwise, it is manageable.

As you get closer to race day, set your strategy based on how you've trained.
2013-09-24 1:23 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
I used the free plan on here for my 1st IM distance race in August, similar background - had done a few olympic, 1HIM before & one during training - see below for my feedback in the iron distace thread.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Co Louth, Ireland

Subject: RE: Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group

Hey guys,

Just posting this to show how good the free plan here on BT is and to hopefully aleviate fears for anyone thinking about using it - something I couldn't find when I started thinking about using it - maybe I just didn't look hard enough!

I completed my 1st iron distance race last weekend using the free plan here on BT. A little info on me - I've no real endurance background but been doing tri's for about 4 years - a handful of sprints and olympics and 1 HIM distance before this year and 1 as part of my training. I use a older model road bike with clip on tri bars, train alone so no club or coach, have a 40hr/wk job, commute 10hrs /wk, married with a soon to be 2year old daughter.

The race was late August and I started training properly in January - well before the 20week plan as I wasn't sure I'd be able to jump straight into in. I just repeated versions of the 1st 3 weeks over to build up a good base and get me ready to start the plan in early April i think (I was also sick most of March!).

I stuck to the plan almost exactly (had to change the order of days to fit them in a bit), missed a handul (no more than 5-10) of sessions due to other factors & a couple just to get some more recovery. Nearly all the 2 a day sessions were done as back to backs, or swim in pool or lake, drive home and do the next session. I went by HR and tried to relate that directly to the RPE & it seemed to work for me. I swapped around 2 of the theme weeks (think it was wks 11&12) just to make better use of my schedule to get more swims in for that week. I did more OWS than it outlined but stuck roughly to the workout even if it was in the lake.

I had constant doubts throughout as to if I was doing enough, especially on the bike as its my weakest leg in every tri I've done!

Fast forward to race day and everything went really well for me. Swim was about bang on what I expected (1-10) without over doing it, bike went amazingly well (for me) - 6-03 (about an hour ahead of what i predicted based on training) - again never felt like I over did it and HR data confirmed this.
Run went as well as expected 4-30 - probably slower than what I'd trained at but I guess thats normal after 180km on the bike! Finished in 11-52 - way ahead of my best target and felt great throughtout (reatively speaking!)

All my logs are up to date, race report is also done, if anyone wants to look through to get an idea of how it looked in reality. I've only completed one but if anyone has any questions fell free to message me.
2013-09-24 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Anything by Joe Friel is always a good resource. His Training Bible is solid gold. Ben Greenfield also has some programs
2013-09-24 7:24 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I would give strong consideration to the BT plans (specifically those by Mike Ricci of D3 Multisport); very well written plans that many have used successfully.

For a book of plans, Fitzgerald's Complete Week by Week Training Guide is pretty decent with lots of options depending on your experience.

Shane
2013-09-24 7:38 AM
in reply to: Tri Swim Coach

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Originally posted by Tri Swim Coach Anything by Joe Friel is always a good resource. His Training Bible is solid gold. Ben Greenfield also has some programs

I would hesitate to recommend Friel's Triathlon Training Bible for someone who is looking for a training plan; for someone in that situation, it is very likely to just lead to frustration as the athlete attempts to distill the text into a workable plan.

I would also avoid Ben Greenfield; a very knowledgable guy but since he is willing to sell his athletes magic braclets, water and a ton of supplements, I would steer clear.

Shane

2013-09-24 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Personally I am a HUGE fan of IRON FIT by Fink his plan is simple and it leads to sucess!!
2013-09-24 7:55 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Chicago
Originally posted by gsmacleod

I would hesitate to recommend Friel's Triathlon Training Bible for someone who is looking for a training plan; for someone in that situation, it is very likely to just lead to frustration as the athlete attempts to distill the text into a workable plan.

I love Friel...I've heard him speak, I've used his advice, I regularly read his blog. But glad to hear I'm not the only one who has had that thought. lol He can be a bit esoteric. 

2013-09-24 9:20 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Originally posted by gsmacleod

I would give strong consideration to the BT plans (specifically those by Mike Ricci of D3 Multisport); very well written plans that many have used successfully.

For a book of plans, Fitzgerald's Complete Week by Week Training Guide is pretty decent with lots of options depending on your experience.

Shane
X2 on Matt Fitzgerald's book. I have used it for (3) HIM and IM Wisconsin. It has prepared me well and I love the 10 choices for each distance. It is the best $15.00 (used on Amazon) that I have spent in this sport!
2013-09-24 9:35 AM
in reply to: triguy1043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Originally posted by triguy1043

Personally I am a HUGE fan of IRON FIT by Fink his plan is simple and it leads to sucess!!
x2! The book is more than just a plan. Includes all the in and outs with making your day a success. $12 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Be-Iron-Fit-2nd-Time-Efficient/dp/1599218577/...
2013-09-24 1:06 PM
in reply to: grahamclarke_6

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
Thanks Graham - We are very similar down the the old road bike with clip-ons. Your insight is much appreciated!

Originally posted by grahamclarke_6

I used the free plan on here for my 1st IM distance race in August, similar background - had done a few olympic, 1HIM before & one during training - see below for my feedback in the iron distace thread.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Co Louth, Ireland

Subject: RE: Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group

Hey guys,

Just posting this to show how good the free plan here on BT is and to hopefully aleviate fears for anyone thinking about using it - something I couldn't find when I started thinking about using it - maybe I just didn't look hard enough!

I completed my 1st iron distance race last weekend using the free plan here on BT. A little info on me - I've no real endurance background but been doing tri's for about 4 years - a handful of sprints and olympics and 1 HIM distance before this year and 1 as part of my training. I use a older model road bike with clip on tri bars, train alone so no club or coach, have a 40hr/wk job, commute 10hrs /wk, married with a soon to be 2year old daughter.

The race was late August and I started training properly in January - well before the 20week plan as I wasn't sure I'd be able to jump straight into in. I just repeated versions of the 1st 3 weeks over to build up a good base and get me ready to start the plan in early April i think (I was also sick most of March!).

I stuck to the plan almost exactly (had to change the order of days to fit them in a bit), missed a handul (no more than 5-10) of sessions due to other factors & a couple just to get some more recovery. Nearly all the 2 a day sessions were done as back to backs, or swim in pool or lake, drive home and do the next session. I went by HR and tried to relate that directly to the RPE & it seemed to work for me. I swapped around 2 of the theme weeks (think it was wks 11&12) just to make better use of my schedule to get more swims in for that week. I did more OWS than it outlined but stuck roughly to the workout even if it was in the lake.

I had constant doubts throughout as to if I was doing enough, especially on the bike as its my weakest leg in every tri I've done!

Fast forward to race day and everything went really well for me. Swim was about bang on what I expected (1-10) without over doing it, bike went amazingly well (for me) - 6-03 (about an hour ahead of what i predicted based on training) - again never felt like I over did it and HR data confirmed this.
Run went as well as expected 4-30 - probably slower than what I'd trained at but I guess thats normal after 180km on the bike! Finished in 11-52 - way ahead of my best target and felt great throughtout (reatively speaking!)

All my logs are up to date, race report is also done, if anyone wants to look through to get an idea of how it looked in reality. I've only completed one but if anyone has any questions fell free to message me.

2013-09-24 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
Thanks for all the input! You are all a great resource.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need IM Training Plan Advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HIM training plan question - advice needed

Started by reverend5150
Views: 1218 Posts: 7

2013-04-03 12:57 PM niceguy542006

Run training plan needed for an IM

Started by GDTRFB
Views: 1011 Posts: 5

2012-11-27 9:44 PM tzcoaching

Training Plan Advice Needed

Started by cobblers
Views: 768 Posts: 4

2012-03-29 8:02 PM KSH

Extending My Training Plan Through the Season - Need Advice

Started by trinigen
Views: 971 Posts: 2

2010-07-01 4:02 PM tjdave

need training plan advice for time trial

Started by vrljc
Views: 920 Posts: 3

2009-08-11 12:47 PM Donto
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : July 29, 2008
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : June 17, 2008
comments : 0
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Reasons for triathlon training.