General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle Sore/Cyst removal - recovery? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-25 11:10 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: Saddle Sore/Cyst removal - recovery?
Many of you know my saddle issues are well documented.
I have been fighting a saddle sore since July.
Finally went to the GP Monday and he referred me to a surgeon, says it is a cyst and has to come out.

Was able to get an appointment with the surgeon next Tuesday morning, he would be able to remove in his office.

However, I am worried about the downtime required for healing since there will be stitches.
Training for IMAZ and this is heavy training time. The next 6 weeks are BIG.
Thinking about toughing it out until after IMAZ. I am currently on abx.

Has anybody had to have a cyst in their saddle area removed and if so what was the recovery like?

2013-09-25 11:42 AM
in reply to: KeriKadi

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Saddle Sore/Cyst removal - recovery?

No removal, but I am (hopefully) healing from folliculitis -
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/folliculitis-topic-overview

due partly from saddle sores and shaving, so I have empathy.

I have a few days left on the horse pills I was given.

It looks like some down time for you due to stitches, and I'm sorry that this had to happen at this crucial part of time.

2013-09-25 11:56 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Happens to the best of them:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/05/news/basso-withdraws-from-gi...

10 days is needed for significant healing and about 4 weeks before consistent mileage. The pros work around this with topical treatment and drainage (yuck) but the risk of infection is very high.

Know anyone with a recumbent?
2013-09-25 1:23 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Don't think I've had cysts, but I've had some form of acne/foliculitis. Small to nasty large pimples, but they don't pop like a pimple (if you try it huts). It really broke out after a dirty swim at CAP TEX TRI. I used standard acne soap 2x per day and it went away. One was probably a combination of a pimple worsened by riding and took weeks to clear up, but gradually got smaller and disappeared with the acne soap treatment. That treatment is designed to exfoliate and allow the body to fight the bacteria, so even if its not standard pimples it seems to work too.
2013-09-25 3:17 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I would wait.  If its been there since summer tough it out. Ask if they can drain it.  I have been plagued with saddle sore abcesses cyst.....if they look bad I lance them myself but I hae a skill set that most people don't have and access to sterile needles.  Ask if they can lance it to get  any pus out and then get it removed after the race. 

FWI this is what has helped me
1-using an acne wash to keep the bacteria counts lower in the region in question
2-using a different brand of short each ride so you are not getting friction on the same area each ride
3-I JUST found a chaois creme called DZnuts..........its awesome.  If you have not try it. 
4-There is a creme called calmoseptine that helps make them feel better but messy to ride with.  Its HARD to find but walgreens is supposed to caryy it.  Call the store first.  You CAN get it online easily
5-bacitracin ointment on the area of question too.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle Sore/Cyst removal - recovery? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Recovery Workouts on sore legs?

Started by TBriggs
Views: 947 Posts: 8

2009-06-22 8:02 AM Daremo

Saddle sores = worn out saddle?

Started by brian
Views: 1253 Posts: 8

2009-05-05 8:32 AM brian

Saddle sores!

Started by triman50
Views: 1302 Posts: 20

2005-05-26 9:36 PM joannh13

saddle sore

Started by verypicky44
Views: 732 Posts: 2

2004-06-28 3:16 PM Whit

Saddle Sores for a beginner

Started by bfraley
Views: 914 Posts: 7

2004-06-21 8:24 AM tripez
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 11, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How long did it take to heal, also did it come back? I've got a race in three weeks, which is only a B race, but it looks like I will miss it as it is just too painful to ride.

date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?
date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : November 3, 2008
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.

date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.
date : July 17, 2005
Yesterday I was a little sore, and today, whenever I bend over to pick something up, standing up again hurts badly. Have I done some sort of permanent damage? What can I do to rehab this area?

date : April 17, 2005
Well I have had a knee issue and it seems to be acting up again, Nobody has really been able to tell me what it is other then a Baker’s cyst.