Other Resources The Political Joe » Here's someone who takes hydration very seriously. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-25 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Here's someone who takes hydration very seriously.
Don't mess with their cans of sparkling water... (BTW I hope he doesn't have any charges filed against him- seems like he acted very reasonably given the circumstances.)

http://www.timescall.com/longmont-local-news/ci_24173594/charges-un...

2013-09-25 8:52 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Here's someone who takes hydration very seriously.

eh... he would have been better off just shooting the guy.  the robber/intruder will probably get off almost completely just so he doesn't file kidnapping charges... you are not allowed to hold anyone against their will, especially at gunpoint, even in your own home if you find them there.

when i took my CWP class the instructor was very clear that if you ever pull a gun in a situation like this 1) you absolutely have to fire the gun and not just brandish it at someone 2) you had better be able to prove you thought your life was in danger 3) you have to shoot to kill. period.

doing anything else risks having any charges reversed onto you or putting yourself at additional risk of injury/death. 

same instructor read us the laws regarding when it was acceptable to shoot people in "self defense" and told us that since the state congress had no clue what they were doing they actually made it completely legal to drink a case of beer and go meth dealer hunting since dealing meth was recently decided to be a "violent crime".

2013-09-25 9:11 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Clempson

eh... he would have been better off just shooting the guy.  the robber/intruder will probably get off almost completely just so he doesn't file kidnapping charges... you are not allowed to hold anyone against their will, especially at gunpoint, even in your own home if you find them there.

when i took my CWP class the instructor was very clear that if you ever pull a gun in a situation like this 1) you absolutely have to fire the gun and not just brandish it at someone 2) you had better be able to prove you thought your life was in danger 3) you have to shoot to kill. period.

doing anything else risks having any charges reversed onto you or putting yourself at additional risk of injury/death. 

same instructor read us the laws regarding when it was acceptable to shoot people in "self defense" and told us that since the state congress had no clue what they were doing they actually made it completely legal to drink a case of beer and go meth dealer hunting since dealing meth was recently decided to be a "violent crime".

Wouldn't this fall under citizen's arrest?  I don't know how a gun plays into this, but from what I understand he did have the right to detain him.

2013-09-25 9:16 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Justin86

Wouldn't this fall under citizen's arrest?  I don't know how a gun plays into this, but from what I understand he did have the right to detain him.

depends on the level of crime being committed, and like i said.. pulling a gun on someone to detain them usually won't end well for you.

2013-09-25 9:54 PM

User image

Pro

1. Your instructor is an idiot.

2.  Give it a try and let me know how that works out for you.

2013-09-25 10:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Left Brain

not going to try. pretty sure i would go to jail. i think he was kind of telling us to use our best judgement even if the law agrees with the action.

2013-09-25 10:19 PM

User image

Pro

not going to try. pretty sure i would go to jail. i think he was kind of telling us to use our best judgement even if the law agrees with the action.

The law does NOT agree with that action......and never will.  I've heard plenty of instructors making asinine statements like your's did....and as far as I'm concerned, they aren't fit to instruct anything.  That gun you carry is for target practice (a LOT of fun), and self-defense (no fun at all).....and that's it.  It's not cloudy, it's not open for interpretation, and it's certainly not open for some idiot to give some left field opinion to a class he is "teaching" regarding concealed carry.  He should lose his license.

2013-09-25 10:35 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

The law does NOT agree with that action......and never will.  I've heard plenty of instructors making asinine statements like your's did....and as far as I'm concerned, they aren't fit to instruct anything.  That gun you carry is for target practice (a LOT of fun), and self-defense (no fun at all).....and that's it.  It's not cloudy, it's not open for interpretation, and it's certainly not open for some idiot to give some left field opinion to a class he is "teaching" regarding concealed carry.  He should lose his license.

south carolina law says you can shoot anyone committing a "violent crime" in self defense or defense of another.

dealing meth is now considered a "violent crime" 

on paper this is pretty clear.

2013-09-25 10:46 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

south carolina law says you can shoot anyone committing a "violent crime" in self defense or defense of another.

I'll have to side with lb on this one. It's all about what's reasonable to a jury of your peers. In Nebraska, you can use deadly force to stop a sexual assault. Well a guy smacking a girls butt in a bar is considered a 3rd Degree Sexual Assault. As LB mentioned, try that one and see how it works out for you. There's the letter of the law and the spirit of the law, and depending how a jury sees it will determine if you're guilty of not.

Oh and +1 on firing the ccw instructor.
2013-09-25 10:54 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Wonder how this would work out if that dealer was an undercover DEA agent? Woops

One example my ccw instructor gave about interjecting yourself into lawfully justifiable situations was this. You are not a cop, you don't have any training on determining what the situation is. Bad guy could have jumped good guy to rob him and good guy turned the tables and is now beating bad guy to death. You wander up and shoot good guy because at that moment he didn't look to good. Either situation will put you in front of a jury in a pretty big hole to climb out of.
2013-09-25 11:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

The only place it's clear is in your dumbarse instructor's pea brain....and don't forget the beer. Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2013-09-25 11:22 PM

2013-09-26 1:10 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

You don't always have to detain them in a citizen's arrest.

2013-09-26 8:02 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Originally posted by moondawg14

Lol, thanks for that.  Had a bad start to the morning and that made me laugh.  Laughing

I would love to see someone try that now, it would also make a great YouTube video

2013-09-26 8:21 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

I'm far from an expert on any kind of a firearms law, but doesn't it depend on the state? I recall the recent case in Texas (of course) where the guy hired a prostitute, paid her, she didn't have sex with him and tried to leave with his money, he shot her and was found not guilty because he was allowed to try and reclaim his property using a weapon.

2013-09-26 9:44 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by JoshR

I'm far from an expert on any kind of a firearms law, but doesn't it depend on the state? I recall the recent case in Texas (of course) where the guy hired a prostitute, paid her, she didn't have sex with him and tried to leave with his money, he shot her and was found not guilty because he was allowed to try and reclaim his property using a weapon.

oh texas...

2013-09-26 9:54 PM

User image

Pro
I'm in Texas right now on a hunting trip up in the panhandle........been wearing shorts and flips wherever we go......I've had to arm myself. Laughing 

2013-09-26 10:36 PM

User image

Master
Beijing
Originally posted by moondawg14

Lol, thanks for that.  Had a bad start to the morning and that made me laugh.  Laughing

I would love to see someone try that now, it would also make a great YouTube video

My Mom's four brothers have the Andy Griffith Show Trivia game.  They went through every card in the game and did not miss a single question.

So.... I can't hear "Citizen's Arrest" without hearing it in Jim Nabor's voice.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Here's someone who takes hydration very seriously. Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Maintaining bone health throughout the lifespan should be a priority for all athletes, starting as youngsters and continuing as master's athletes.

date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.
date : February 28, 2005
author : AMSSM
It is difficult to replace water losses during exercise. The following principles will help prevent dehydration during endurance training and racing.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.
date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.

date : October 17, 2004
Well the day is finally here. I don't believe a single workout has gone by in these past 9 years where the idea of being at the start line of the Ironman Hawaii didn't creep into my head.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.

date : August 28, 2004
Not one menu is a perfect fit for all athletes, but there are some general rules that everyone can use as a guide during the final 24 hours leading into your race.