General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building Base? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-30 8:05 PM

User image

Subject: Building Base?
so, I'm new at all this- I'm just getting started training for some stuff next summer, and a 10K this fall (turkey trot) just for fun. I started out with a Cto5K in the spring through mid summer, now my long run is 7 miles, with 3 mile runs on 2 other days during the week, 2 bike rides a week (10-15 miles training and sometimes another 10 slow bike with my son), and just getting started with swims.

Next summer I'd like to do a half marathon in the beginning of June, a couple sprints (one in July, 1 in August) and then a marathon in October. Seems like a lot, but spread OK, maybe?

Anyway, I'm reading and hearing a bunch about the winter time being a base building time- what do you mean by that? And what kind of base would be thinking of for my type of goals for next summer? I'm not looking for record times or anything, just finishing without collapsing!

2013-09-30 8:08 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Subject: RE: Building Base?
With marathon in the future you definitely strong running base. Good running fitness and being able to train for marathon requires slow, consistent improvements and building in your running. This takes months and months to do properly.
2013-09-30 9:22 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Building Base means putting in a lot of volume in terms of running. Since you are relatively new to this, winter would be a good time to start working on this. The key to this is the "long run." You might consider starting at your current long run (7 miles) and doing a slightly longer run each week with one easy week built in every now and then. It might look something like this:

Week 1: 7 miles
Week 2: 8-9 miles
Week 3: 9-10 miles
Week 4: 7 miles
Week 5: 10-11 miles
  • . . and so on.

• Hope this gives you a general idea. Given that it's early in the "off season," you will be able to develop a strong base going into the summer.

Good Luck!
    2013-10-01 4:54 AM
    in reply to: tedjohn

User image

thanks! should I be increasing my midweek short runs too? Or is that less important?
    2013-10-01 5:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    , Kobenhavns Kommune
    Originally posted by el penguino
    Anyway, I'm reading and hearing a bunch about the winter time being a base building time- what do you mean by that? And what kind of base would be thinking of for my type of goals for next summer? I'm not looking for record times or anything, just finishing without collapsing!

Building base means increasing volume, and it goes for all disciplines. This improves your overall fitness and endurance. If you want to do even just sprint triathlon, do make swimming a priority and ensure you have the abilities to swim the distance.

Otherwise, with half and whole marathon being your major goals, focus on the run, and I suggest you focus on your first goal, a half marathon, plenty of things can come up that make you postpone the other races. There are plenty of 20-week training plans available for half marathons.

2013-10-01 7:31 AM

User image

Champion
    Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
    Base building generally refers to building one's aerobic fitness abilities. This is often (mis)understood to mean all low intensity, high volume training in order to build a base. While low intensity/high volume certainly has a place with base building, especially for running, aerobic adaptations happen across a wide variety of intensities. When it comes to base building, higher intensities, especially swimming and cycling, should not be avoided but rather be included as a key piece of one's base building.

IIWY with running as a focus I would check out BarryP's 321 run program; very simple and effective plan for building a solid base of run fitness that sees a reasonable build across short, medium and long runs.

Shane

2013-10-01 10:46 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
    I had a similar set of goals this year.

First 5k in March
    10k in June
    Half coming up at the end of this month.

With a minisprint tri thrown in in August.

This article has a good summary of what training totals are needed for different half-marathon goals:

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/131-not-just-half-race

With advice like this:
    "If your goal is just to finish, the best training, as Daniels suggests, is a scaled-down version of what most people do to achieve the same goal in a marathon. Reaching a peak of 25 miles a week would probably be enough, with a long run of about 10 miles. I ran my first 20K that way. I not only survived, but was only 45 seconds/mile slower than my ultimate PR."

You will not need your long run to get past 10 miles until you get much closer to the HM.

Maybe spend the winter working on balance (yoga), swim form, strength to start the new year in better shape, with good core strength and not allready fed up with training miles.
    2013-10-01 12:38 PM
    in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Coach
    Stairway to Seven
    Originally posted by gsmacleod

Base building generally refers to building one's aerobic fitness abilities. This is often (mis)understood to mean all low intensity, high volume training in order to build a base. While low intensity/high volume certainly has a place with base building, especially for running, aerobic adaptations happen across a wide variety of intensities. When it comes to base building, higher intensities, especially swimming and cycling, should not be avoided but rather be included as a key piece of one's base building.

Shane

Agree with Shane. Aerobic ability can be built by training at all intensities. "off season" can also be used to spend time improving inefficiencies in technique, posture, flexibility, work, family life, other hobbies, etc. "Base" is everything that supports you in having a great season next year, which includes improving your consistency & enjoyment IMO. Volume is only a small component and only one variable. If you like two dimensional things (a flat approach!) then increasing volume approach over time is one solution.

Training has many variables and many dimensions. Think outside the plane.
    2013-10-01 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
    Calgary
    Originally posted by gsmacleod

IIWY with running as a focus I would check out BarryP's 321 run program; very simple and effective plan for building a solid base of run fitness that sees a reasonable build across short, medium and long runs.

Shane

This still leaves me wondering a bit about one of the OP's original questions... I.e. What do we mean by base building? Doesn't "building one's aerobic fitness abilities" apply to other phases of training as well? What distinguishes base building from other phases of training? And what are the other phases of training? Thanks in advance for any responses to these questions.
    Don
    2013-10-01 11:19 PM
    in reply to: donw

User image

Coach
    Stairway to Seven
    General to Specific
    Close to race spend more time training the systems most closely resembling your race needs. E.g for sprints & Olympics, more time in tempo/threshold and use VO2 to top things off. During "off season" aside from working on limiters, aerobic development can be balanced (ie a little long riding, a little tempo, a little threshold, a little vo2). A mixed approach to build global power.

For long course athletes, closer to race, more long endurance / tempo work, less threshold/vo2 stuff. When you look at overal distribution of time in different trainign zones...what your training stress consists of, maximize race-like efforts closest to race. far from rac,e mix it up and do non specific stuff.

That's one approach.
    2013-10-02 6:32 AM
    in reply to: donw

User image

Champion
    Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
    Originally posted by donw

This still leaves me wondering a bit about one of the OP's original questions... I.e. What do we mean by base building? Doesn't "building one's aerobic fitness abilities" apply to other phases of training as well? What distinguishes base building from other phases of training? And what are the other phases of training? Thanks in advance for any responses to these questions.
    Don

Just to build a bit of Suzanne's post, the concept of periodization within the endurance community is often misunderstood and will typically be described as base, build, taper/peak.

Instead, what should happen is that training should progress from general to specific; the general phase will look very similar for all triathletes, regardless of the distance they are racing as the primary goal is to build aerobic capacity. The best indicator for triathlon performance, at all distances, is one's threshold pace/power so training during the general phase should primarily focus on improving performance at threshold. With running, this is most often accomplished with one key run (at threshold) and several easy runs as the body is generally not able to tolerate large doses of intensity with running due to the eccentric contractions involved. So instead of manipulating the intensity side of training load, volume is increased to increase training load. With swimming and cycling, generally athletes can tolerate much more intensity due to them not being load bearing and since time on the bike and in the pool is generally limited during the general phase, intensity should often be higher. With these, it is generally most beneficial to focus workouts around threshold and VO2max type efforts as these tend to be the most effective ways to raise threshold power on the bike and pace in the pool.

Then, as race season progresses, an athlete should look at their key events and determine what intensities will be specific to their race demands; for Ironman, this will be lots of long, easy efforts, HIM would be tempo efforts, short course would revolve more around threshold efforts. While it is still valuable to maintain non race intensity efforts (say a long moderate ride for short course athletes or threshold paced swimming for IM athletes) the key workouts should revolve around race demands.

I find that this chart is useful when considering training intensity in training:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/power-training-level...

Shane

2013-10-02 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
    Calgary
    Thanks Suzanne and Shane - I appreciate the thoughtful responses.
    Don
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building Base? Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Best bike tips for building base?

Started by Gospedration
    Views: 848 Posts: 9

2012-01-18 7:21 AM jsnowash

Keep building base or race

Started by juxin
    Views: 841 Posts: 7

2010-11-30 9:54 PM AdventureBear

Building Base

Started by sax
    Views: 666 Posts: 6

2009-08-24 9:23 AM running2far

build base or speed work? Pages: 1 2

Started by newbie13
    Views: 1232 Posts: 30

2007-11-15 2:30 PM indygreg

Building base on the bike

Started by sauna66
    Views: 1200 Posts: 19

2006-05-22 9:27 PM TH3_FRB
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : April 20, 2009
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 0
    I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 22, 2008
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    This month, the focus will be on building your aerobic base while improving or maintaining stroke technique.
    date : October 22, 2008
    author : Curt Chesney
    What training do you do during your off season? Any advice on what to aim for? Should I focus on building a better base?

date : October 11, 2007
    author : Ron
    This part of the program is the conditioning phase using several bodyweight exercises including pushups, pullups, dips, squats and situps.
    date : October 11, 2007
    author : Ron
    Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
    author : Total Immersion
    comments : 3
    Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
    date : June 5, 2006
    author : mikericci
    How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : April 2, 2006
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.