General Discussion Triathlon Talk » medial calcaneal neuritis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-01 7:08 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: medial calcaneal neuritis
I've had PF for 2.5 years. I have done PT 4 times, wore a boot, got orthotics, had the PRP injection. I feel like I could write a book on the subject. My pain is very localized to the inside of the bottom of the heel. I looked up medial calcaneal neuritis and that is the exact location. Anyone familiar with this that could chime in and share experiences? It's so very localized to that area. I no longer have the 1st thing in the morning issues. Just a constant pain in one spot. I'm beyond frustrated. And I'm wondering how it gets diagnosed. MRI? nerve test? And is surgery the only option? Thanks!

Jami

2013-11-28 10:55 PM
in reply to: jdotten

Subject: RE: medial calcaneal neuritis
I had medial calcaneal neuritis. I thought that it was PF (I'm a runner), so I was doing all the stretches and strengtheners and icing. I tried night splinting and PF sleeves. I really got no relief and it was just getting worse. I had a really sensitive spot my heel that was about halfway between the underside and the side of my foot.

I finally was able to see a podiatrist. I pushed on the nerve for my foot and I howled! He gave me a cortisone shot and said that it probably wouldn't do any permanent good. I felt ok for about about 2 weeks, but then the pain returned. He tried another cortisone shot with the same result. Finally I decided to do radio frequency nerve ablation because I was in so much pain. I just had that 6 days ago. So far my results have been pretty good. I have a greatly reduced level of pain, but I'm still having twinges. I read online that sometimes patients have pain for 1-2 weeks after the ablation.

After my diagnosis, I really didn't find a lot of information about medial calcaneal neuritis that wasn't written by podiatrist. Most of what the podiatrists were writing seem to indicate that killing the nerve was going to be the only real permanent solution. I really haven't found anyone who gives any other solution. At one point, I felt like the level of pain that I was at could be ignored over the long run, but then it got progressively worse. I haven't been able to get my running back on track, so I finally did the ablation out of desperation.

I didn't have the MRI, but apparently the relief that I had from the cortisone shot around the nerve is supposed to be an indicator that it was nerve pain.

I would love to hear any other information you've been able to find.

Sarah.
2013-11-28 10:59 PM
in reply to: ssschuerch

Subject: RE: medial calcaneal neuritis
I also had a weird thing happen with my foot that also seems to point at an irritated nerve. One morning my foot pain was horrible, and I really couldn't understand why. I was about in tears. Finally I was holding my foot in my hand, and I realized that I had a sticker stuck to my foot on the skin right over my irritated nerve. It was just like a little kid's art stickers, but just having it touch my skin seem to send my nerve into overload! Almost as soon as I took it off, my foot felt so much better. Still painful, but not nearly as bad.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » medial calcaneal neuritis Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Medial knee pain when cycling ONLY

Started by runk8run
Views: 4716 Posts: 9

2012-09-12 7:01 AM runk8run

medial gastrog strain in calf muscle

Started by nattri1
Views: 1013 Posts: 3

2011-10-28 8:44 PM tcj103

Medial Heel Pain

Started by firegirlred
Views: 561 Posts: 1

2011-09-02 10:22 PM firegirlred

Medial Knee pain when riding outside

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 860 Posts: 4

2011-06-19 2:39 PM pschriver

Medial quad pain

Started by couch2kona
Views: 1238 Posts: 1

2010-07-13 12:41 AM couch2kona
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 23, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
Does wearing minimalist shoes put more stress on the ankles, shins and knee joints with the loss of padding from conventional running shoes?

date : September 9, 2010
comments : 1
What causes shin splints and what can I do to treat them and do compression socks work?
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How do I know if my cleats need to be adjusted? And how do you know in which direction to adjust them? I have been having medial knee pain and edema but my LBS says the cleat placement is fine.

date : December 28, 2009
I think I have pes ansurine tendonitis. I have had tender to-the-touch pain on the medial aspect of both knees after riding. The pain is more acute the couple of days after a ride.
date : March 5, 2006
The pain is palpable after a run mid shaft, medial to bone around the interosseous border. Resistive movement does not effect it. Most pain is with load bearing during a run.