Other Resources The Political Joe » First female Marines attend infantry course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-01 12:10 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: First female Marines attend infantry course

Fifteen female Marines began the training following graduation from boot camp at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C., as part of ongoing research on the incorporation of women into combat-related jobs.

http://marines.dodlive.mil/2013/10/01/firs-female-marines-attend-infantry-course/

Another one of those subjects where I have mixed opinions. Mostly in the "good for them" camp though... what do you think?

2013-10-01 12:23 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: First female Marines attend infantry course

i think it's awesome.  they aren't altering the requirements so women can pass.  there is nothing mixed about this to me.

2013-10-01 1:22 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I'm very conflicted. 

Being able to pass the requirements in bootcamp and being able to serve, day-in day-out, are two very different things.  I hope it ends up being a good thing for everyone involved--the women, the men and readiness on the whole.

2013-10-01 2:36 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by switch

I'm very conflicted. 

Being able to pass the requirements in bootcamp and being able to serve, day-in day-out, are two very different things.  I hope it ends up being a good thing for everyone involved--the women, the men and readiness on the whole.

could you please elaborate?  if men and women are getting the same exact training to prepare for infantry service, why on earth would they not have an equal chance at succeeding at it?

2013-10-01 2:52 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by mehaner

I'm very conflicted. 

could you please elaborate?  if men and women are getting the same exact training to prepare for infantry service, why on earth would they not have an equal chance at succeeding at it?

Because war is different than training. It just is.  General Barrow gives a much better explanation than I ever could.

I hope I'm wrong.  I'd like nothing more than to see this go smoothly and for women who want to be in these roles be able to serve, and be rewarded for their service, in the same ways as men.  I think men and women have different strengths, and I have severe reservations for both the women AND THE MEN serving with the women that this is in everyone's best interest.

2013-10-01 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

I'm very conflicted. 

Because war is different than training. It just is.  General Barrow gives a much better explanation than I ever could.

I hope I'm wrong.  I'd like nothing more than to see this go smoothly and for women who want to be in these roles be able to serve, and be rewarded for their service, in the same ways as men.  I think men and women have different strengths, and I have severe reservations for both the women AND THE MEN serving with the women that this is in everyone's best interest.

i get that, but none of the men have ever been to war, either, and are going on the same training.

2013-10-01 3:14 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Demi Moore was totally hot in GI Jane.

But seriously, I think it's great. They're brave patriots and I wish them well and thank them for their service. I dislike the attitude that these women don't know what they're getting into and we need to protect them from themselves making this decision.

2013-10-01 3:27 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I'm very conflicted. 

i get that, but none of the men have ever been to war, either, and are going on the same training.

Lots of men who make it through training won't make it as infantry either. 

I hope at this point in my tenure on the forum, people understand where I am on women's rights and feminism in general.  I hope I come across as being very "pro-women."  It is just that in this particular instance I really feel that men and women have different strengths and just because you can make it through training, doesn't mean that the best thing for you, your fellow servicemen or your country is to be put in combat roles. 

I would like nothing more to be wrong, and now time will tell.   I just hope there aren't a lot of people--and missions--hurt along the way.

2013-10-01 3:47 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I'm very conflicted. 

I hope at this point in my tenure on the forum, people understand where I am on women's rights and feminism in general.  I hope I come across as being very "pro-women."  It is just that in this particular instance I really feel that men and women have different strengths and just because you can make it through training, doesn't mean that the best thing for you, your fellow servicemen or your country is to be put in combat roles. 

I would like nothing more to be wrong, and now time will tell.   I just hope there aren't a lot of people--and missions--hurt along the way.

Then if you do not think they would do as well on the battlefield, then why support them doing the training? Or am I misunderstanding your point?

2013-10-01 4:25 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by jford2309

I'm very conflicted. 

Then if you do not think they would do as well on the battlefield, then why support them doing the training? Or am I misunderstanding your point?

I actually don't think we should have women in infantry school, or any other tip of the spear training programs, because I don't think they should be in those positions.

But what are we going to do?  What choices do we have?  Lots of proponents point to successful integration of women in combat roles in other countries' militaries.  There are women who want to be in these positions; they think they're capable, some men even think they're capable, and they're also saying that they're not getting the same opportunities for promotion because they don't have the same opportunities to serve as their male counterparts.  I don't want them to fail, but I have a hard time believing this is going to be a net gain.

I applaud the military for keeping the training the same and not lowering the standards for these women.  (That would have been a grave mistake.)  As we now move toward integrating these women into these roles we will hear about the success and failures of this program.  What I know from men who have served in infantry positions, and PLEASE SOMEONE WHO HAS, JUMP IN HERE, is that the training exercises pale in comparison to the rigors of real combat scenarios.  I find this stuff interesting, so I have read a lot of first hand accounts--some from women. Packs in training that were 80lbs, become 120lbs with radios and water for days in combat, for example.  How many women do you know who can hump a 120lb pack for days in rough conditions?  Who's gonna need to pick up that weight when she can't?   

We could move on to more specific, grim war possibilities like what is the rest of the squad going to do when they hear that woman getting raped by the enemy. 

I guess best case scenario is that we hope that they're able to think of her like any other dude on the squad...

Do these women know what they're getting themselves into.  Sure, I wouldn't assume that they don't, and I suppose as well as any person who hasn't been in combat can.  Does that mean they are going to be a net asset to their squad?  Does it mean they are as able as a man to do their job--their job in combat, not in training?  Does it possibly mean that men's lives are going to be at more risk by having women serve along side them?  We'll see.

I think there is a place for women in combat support roles, but I don't think having women in "tip of the spear" positions like infantry is in anyone's best interest.

2013-10-01 5:49 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm very conflicted. 

Why do you hate women?

OK, seriously.  I think i'm in the same boat as you.

My only first person experience was with women on combatant ships.  It seemed like half of them mysteriously got pregnant the month before every deployment.  It sucked.  :-/

2013-10-01 7:17 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Full Metal Jacket is on cable. Sitting here with my son eating sushi and enjoying life. For all it's faults, this truly is a great county.
2013-10-01 7:22 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhillyFull Metal Jacket is on cable. Sitting here with my son eating sushi and enjoying life. For all it's faults, this truly is a great county.
did you mean to post this in the "shutdown" thread
2013-10-01 7:50 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhillyFull Metal Jacket is on cable. Sitting here with my son eating sushi and enjoying life. For all it's faults, this truly is a great county.
did you mean to post this in the "shutdown" thread
I can't say my daughter, sorry. Would that have made you happy? All I have is boys, and at 51, man am I done.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » First female Marines attend infantry course Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : June 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What are all these new funny-shaped saddles all about? Are they more comfortable than older designs? Will they keep me healthier so I can train on my bike longer? Should I change my saddle?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : January 30, 2006
author : amandacmuller
In all of my tri-clothing research, I could never find a trisuit that would offer support where I needed it. I found that my choices were limited.
date : September 26, 2004
author : Browe79
This man’s story was so inspiring that my brother and I committed to doing an Ironman by the time we turned thirty.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.