Murakami City
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 1s
Overall Rank = 194/699
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 9/37
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15, grabbed a yogurt drink and a cup of coffee and headed out the door for the 40 minute drive from the hotel to the race site. I ended up getting a good parking spot and took my time finishing up breakfast and then getting all of my equipment sorted out.
Event warmup:

I rode about 15 minutes, ran about 10 and spent a really short time in the water because I did not get the timing quite right. I thought I had until 9:20 to warm up, but they pulled everyone at 9:00 so they could do the opening ceremony. After that, the next hour was spent watching the Japan pros (men first and then women) do their swim leg. The race itself did not start until 10am.
Swim
  • 29m 17s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the 4th wave which was made up of men 50 and older and anyone doing the relay. I started at the very back and was the last one to start swimming. I started very relaxed and swam with my head up the whole course. I was able to almost completely avoid contact by staying slightly to the outside of the masses. All in all, this was my best swim by far. I felt relaxed and in control the whole distance. I usually walk in the last 15-20 meters of the swim because the water is shallow and it helps me regain my balance. On this course, the water was over my head just 2 meters from the shore so I had to swim all the way in. I was kind of wobbly and off balance for the first 10-20 meters after coming out of the water. The same thing happened in similar conditions a year ago.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing given my current swim abilities. I could have cranked up the pace some for the second half, but I think it was better to take the relaxed approach to save my energy for the bike and run.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

This was the first time I ever had problems getting my wet suit off. I was still a little wobbly by the time I got to my bike (a good 150-200 meters away from the swim exit, but closest to the bike start line). I somehow managed to get the ankle of the wetsuit doubled over and stuck on the timing chip band. I finally sat down and pulled it off. I did take some time to dry my feet, etc.

As always, I could have gone faster...maybe next year.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 26s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.68 km/hr
Comments:

It is a pretty fast course, but the winds were constant, mostly cross winds coming in off the ocean and they were definitely stronger on the way back. I had a best case goal of holding 185-190 watts, but settled in at 170 because my heart rate was low zone 4 (threshold) and stayed there.

Should I have gone faster? I don't think so. If I had pushed harder, I think I would have paid for it on the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

I put socks on and changed from a bike jersey (full zip and easy to get out of) to my favorite running shirt

yeah....go a little faster....stick with one top for the race duration.
Run
  • 44m 48s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 29s  min/km
Comments:

Okay...by now it is pretty warm....like 85 and the reflected temps coming off the street are 90+. I took it a little easy for the first kilometer and tried to gauge how I was doing from a heart rate and body temperature perspective. I then cranked the pace up a notch and pretty much held on. At about the 6km mark I had to work harder to keep that pace and my heart rate climbed up to what I know from experience is the border for overheating. I did my best to relax and focus on pacing and it worked.

Nothing given my current run fitness level. If the course distance was really 10km (and I am a little suspicious), I broke my previous 10km PR by about 80 seconds and my previous best was run in 65 degrees.
Post race
Warm down:

I just walked a little to stretch my legs and then got into the food line to grab something to eat. I found a nice tree to sit under and enjoyed curry rice and a beer. I then picked up my post-race bag and grabbed a very quick shower (outdoor and very cold water) and got in line for the shuttle bus back to transition area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only my current fitness level and that is work in progress. This was my fastest ever Oly by 2-3 minutes. Of course, the mostly flat course was a big factor.

Event comments:

They did a great job with this race. There were lots of volunteers and lots of aid stations. The aid stations only offered water, but that was fine by me. For an Oly, I get my nutrition in on the bike (2 diluted gels and a bottle of diluted sports drink is enough to get me through every time). The finish area was set up really well and they did a great job with the food and beverages.

One other note: there were far more non-Japanese participants at this race than I have ever seen, i.e., 30-35 whereas I usually see 3-5. The competition level was also I think a notch higher.

Last updated: 2013-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:17 | 1500 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/37
Overall: 269/699
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto full
Course: The course was behind a breakwall and consisted of a single long loop of 750 meters.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:26 | 40 kms | 32.68 km/hr
Age Group: 12/37
Overall: 226/699
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: The course is just a 20km loop that runs along the coast. There is some up and down during the first 5-7 km, but people refer to the course as being flat. Anyway, it is a really nice course with some good views of the ocean. The road itself is mostly in quite good condition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 99
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:44:48 | 10 kms | 04m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 5/37
Overall: 183/699
Course: The course takes you into the center of the town of Murakami and you end up finishing on the grounds of the city hall - actually pretty nice. In town they have a loop that you go around 2.5 times. There were quite a few town residents and other supporters in that loop area cheering and encouraging the runners.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-01 10:51 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: Murakami International Triathlon

2013-10-02 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4868699

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Subject: RE: Murakami International Triathlon
Great race seems like you were relaxed the whole race
2013-10-02 4:02 PM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Expert
Noosa
Well done Dan! Great swim bike and run, no weak areas for you!
2013-10-04 10:17 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job on an Oly PR and that 10K time was smoking!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Murakami International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

San Diego International Triathlon - International Course

Started by cjhild
Views: 2377 Posts: 3

2009-07-05 6:38 AM BabsVa

Started by julioyadriana
Views: 1647 Posts: 1

2009-06-28 2:39 PM julioyadriana

Started by seakiteair
Views: 1675 Posts: 1

2009-06-28 12:57 PM seakiteair

Started by Scottt
Views: 1672 Posts: 2

2007-06-27 11:49 AM KellyM

Murakami International Triathlon

Started by mwdowns
Views: 1664 Posts: 2

2005-09-27 6:36 AM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.