General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hamstring Advice.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-04 7:17 AM

Subject: Hamstring Advice....
Hi All,

I've got my first sprint coming up on Sunday and have been training for the past 3 months for it, following the 3 week build, 1 week recovery process with incremental increases (up to 10%) built in. This has worked well and I've stayed injury free, however very annoyingly this week when I've gone in to taper I managed to slightly strain my hamstring going up the stairs at home!

I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience of racing with something like this and how much they pushed it - I still want to try and get the best time I can (getting round injury excepting shouldn't be an issue), but don't want to over-do it and not finish by making it worse.

It does seem pretty minor, just discomfort but walking etc is still fine and no swelling or bruising. I'm following RICE as much as I can as well.

Any thoughts welcomed - even if its just confirmation to my current thought that I'll just need to base on it how it feels on the day!

Thanks,

Nick

2013-10-04 7:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Hamstring Advice....
I would be cautious. I apparently tore a hamstring almost 15 years ago when I slipped while running on ice, and have been dealing with aftereffects (tightness, muscle weakness and imbalances that have affected other areas, pain when racing or doing speedwork) for well over a decade. I have spent over three years doing literally everything in the book (stretching, strengthening, PT, yoga, foam rolling, deep tissue massage, ice, etc. etc.) and spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on treatment to get to the point where I can run pain-free most of the time. Probably a more serious tear than yours, but if it's already strained/torn then it's more vulnerable to additional injury. For some reason this muscle takes a long time to heal and is prone to re-injury and irritation even from non-athletic things. I've aggravated mine several times if I have to "brake" with that leg when I almost trip on my cat!

Swimming shouldn't be an issue; biking probably won't be for a minor strain; running, especially running hard, could be. So if you do decide to compete, I would take the run very, very easy, especially when heading out after the bike leg, stopping to stretch gently if needed and being prepared to shut it down and just walk if necessary. If you feel okay after the first half mile or so, you can see how it feels if you pick up the pace a bit. I've actually found with my chronic issues that I often feel better running after biking than from just a run warmup in a run-only race. It takes me a long time to loosen up and for me the first two legs serve as a kind of warmup. I have really good endurance though so it might not work for others! I'd avoid wild sprinting for the finish line and such, just try to keep a nice steady pace and normal relaxed stride as long as you're pain free.

If you're having any discomfort with easy running prior to the race, then I either would not race, or commit to walking the run instead.

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-10-04 7:37 AM
2013-10-04 8:26 AM
in reply to: Nick27

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
No swelling or bruising is a good sign. A grade 1 tear should not present any bruising.

Its an injury very common with soccer players due to the sprint/run mixture they do in matches and training. 3 weeks recovery is often fine. 1st week of complete rest (RICE) and then active rehab in the next two weeks.

In your case the first thing you would be doing as active rehab would be your sprint race.

If you are determined to do the race then think about some taping or strong compression support for the hamstring. And dont push it at all.
2013-10-04 11:51 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

Thanks both for the advice - I'm definitely still wanting to compete so will go with both to take it easy on the run and build if I can (or be ready to stop).

In the meantime I'm icing it and have compression shorts to use on the day to give additional support.

badmo77a - ironically I've played soccer regularly since I was 5 (I'm English...) and never had a problem with hamstrings even though as you say they are such a common injury!
2013-10-04 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Tough one on which to give advice, as I can't tell how serious it is.  I just had the same situation, and I wasn't even sure how serious it was - and it was MY leg...

My approach with a very similar sounding injury was 10 days no running, 1 week of progressive build (0.8, 1.8, 2.4, 3.8 mile runs - the last was 3 days before a sprint with a 3.4 mile run), then a light jog with two 90" pickups to a modified race pace (NO STRIDING, just higher cadence) to see if it felt completely fine during that.

It did, so I decided to race with a modified plan.  Drill the swim and bike (neither of which bothered the strain - oddly enough) and then just go steady with a high cadence on the run.  No heroics, no sprints at the line, etc.  Just short strides and high cadence and a commitment to STOP at the first sign of a tweak.  Went fine.  Left a minute or two on the run, but was still good (and one of my best s/b combos).

So, I did race but only about 20 days after the slight strain.  Had it been several days after the event, I would not have chanced the race (didn't want to lose a whole winter of training, which a pulled rather than a slightly tweaked hammy will do to you).

I get wanting to race, and only you know how the leg feels.  BUT, I'd be really careful.

Just my tuppence.

Good luck!

Matt

2013-10-04 3:26 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Nick27

Thanks both for the advice - I'm definitely still wanting to compete so will go with both to take it easy on the run and build if I can (or be ready to stop).

In the meantime I'm icing it and have compression shorts to use on the day to give additional support.

badmo77a - ironically I've played soccer regularly since I was 5 (I'm English...) and never had a problem with hamstrings even though as you say they are such a common injury!

I am also English (tips top hat) and play in a winter league here in Canada (indoors).

Its a common problem for pros. Whos game is based on top speed and endurance mixed.(http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php)

I have never had a hamstring problem from football. Lucky I guess. Pain in the arse (pun intended) to tweak it climbing stairs.

Hope the sprint goes well.

2013-10-04 4:31 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

Strained mine back in July during a tri. This week is my last of 7 weeks of PT. Be very careful.
2013-10-04 8:47 PM

Expert
Being a sprinter, I've torn up my hamstrings many times (no longer do 100m, but was a national qualifier in the 800m). Last year I hurt my left hammy during a track workout, couldn't sprint for about 8 weeks, but had no problem with sprint tris. Just took it easy and avoided the temptation to kick it in at the end.

2013-10-06 6:59 AM
in reply to: vonschnapps

Thanks guys for all the advice.....did the tri this morning and went with what everyone said - normal on the swim and bike and easy on the run. Good news is that it feels fine afterwards, I did the run about 2-3 minutes slower than I could but resisted the temptation to push as a couple of people suggested.

Overall though the Bike & Swim went v. well so even losing the time on the run I came 6th overall and 1st in my AG (21-30) so very pleased!

Thanks again for the advice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hamstring Advice.... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Practical advice not medical advice requested

Started by sTRIve
Views: 994 Posts: 3

2011-10-07 8:48 AM cdban66

Hamstring pain

Started by Mark G
Views: 405 Posts: 1

2005-07-08 10:29 PM Mark G

Sore Hamstrings

Started by rock8888
Views: 3036 Posts: 9

2005-07-06 3:55 PM madeye

pulled hamstring -- advice?

Started by madeye
Views: 1255 Posts: 10

2005-05-20 12:41 PM Dr Hammer

hamstring woes

Started by CindyK
Views: 710 Posts: 7

2004-11-07 12:08 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 17, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Pain in the hamstring region can be very frustrating and challenging for triathletes - healing may take several weeks and there are many factors that may complicate the eventual outcome.

date : April 14, 2010
comments : 1
I have been having a right hamstring issue over the last four weeks or so. I'm pretty sure I just pulled it pretty good but would like some advice. How long does it take for it to completely heal?
date : May 25, 2009
I strained my left hamstring over two years ago and thought I had gotten past it. Yesterday, it hampered me quite a bit and it felt like it was on the edge of giving out again.

date : April 11, 2007
comments : 1
This is a “hip-butt” injury, which describes the location of the insertion of the hamstring tendon at the base of the pelvis on the ischial tuberosity very well. They are difficult to treat.
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.