General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2014-09-15 9:30 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

New user

Springboro, Ohio
Gold member
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
Originally posted by miamiamy

Originally posted by rwekin

Random question for those using Tri Bike Transport.

Are you guys removing your rear bottle cages for transport? This is my first race that offered tri bike transport so it's new to me. I thought I saw that we were to do this and quite honestly I just remember how annoying it is to put that thing on there tightly in the first place so I'm checking with others before I take it off.

Obviously, I don't want it to break in transport (duh) but also obviously I don't want to be unable to get it secure with my little hex wrench in the hotel and drop the whole kit and caboodle over a set of train tracks (duh again).

Clearly this is the useless place my empty brain has decided to obsess on this week. But any feedback is appreciated.

I used TriBike Transport earlier this year at IM Texas. When I dropped it off I asked that same question. However, they only removed my pedals and said that the rear bottle cages did not need to be removed. The bike arrived without a problem in Texas from Ohio, and returned in just as good condition. My sticky fuel bottles were still on the back of the bike when I picked it up at home after the race. I'd hate to see some thing happen to your bike, but that, at least, was my limited experience with them.

Excellent - Thanks!. Obviously anything can happen. But I think I'm going to try that same thing. If they say they have to come off I'll do it then and it is what it is. Did you do the bike valet - is that how your bottles were still there after?

Yes. So once I was done with the race, I got my morning bag and went back to the hotel. Actually, the following morning I went back to retrieve my gear bags, but the bikes and gear weren't back yet when I got there. I wasn't able to wait around there because I would have missed my flight. So they just collected my stuff when it arrived and put it in the gear bag I also shipped. When I got my bike and bag back at the LBS the bottles were still on the bike and my stuff was all in the transition bag. It was simple.

2014-09-18 8:28 PM
in reply to: rwekin

New user

Hello everyone!!! Ironman Chattanooga is just around the corner!!! wanted to share a short web series we have done with Pro Anna Cleaver!

http://youtu.be/z4AGP2sdxBs

Check out the rest on her YouTube page! Also give Element Visuals a like on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @elementvisuals1

Hope to catch some of you on the course!! Good luck to all a safe event!1

Regards

Craig&Brianna

Element Visuals
2014-09-19 1:08 PM

User image

9 days!! yikes! I remember when the count-down was 365+ days!
2014-09-19 1:37 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Wait.... What??? 

9 days????

From today????

2014-09-19 2:20 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Originally posted by Sous

Wait.... What??? 

9 days????

From today????

yep! single digits baby!
2014-09-19 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
It seemed like it was so far off then...

2014-09-19 4:16 PM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Originally posted by runswithcrazydog

It seemed like it was so far off then...

I guess it's time to hit the pavement.
2014-09-23 12:40 PM

In case any other BT'ers want to say "Hi" or share in the misery mid-race:

I'll be:

• Wearing the orange Team Challenge kit
  • Tangerine orange Schwinn bike with disc cover (Kirby decal and a "Slow Poke" turtle decal)
  • On the run, bright orange visor.
  • Possible orange sleeves depending on temperature

So much orange...

How will I recognize you other BT'ers?

-Ho

2014-09-23 1:59 PM
in reply to: Major Ho

User image

i'll be wearing a Team RWB shirt on the run

unfortunately, none of my other stuff is readily identifiable - my trek is the 2014 carbon fiber color scheme (white with brown markings)
2014-09-23 2:50 PM
in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

This is a longshot but in the chance that Brian Myrick is still visiting this site. I have a friend who was in Ironman Lake Tahoe and is trying to work it out to get to Ironman Chattanooga this weekend. It's a very fast turn around and he cannot get there until Saturday. The materials are very clear that there is no packet pickup on Saturday. So we are reaching out to see if there is any special consideration that can be given. It's a long shot. But if Brian Myrick is here and feeling benevolent that would be great.

Or if anybody on this board happens to know how to reach any of the WTC staff on the ground in Tennessee that would actually be helpful. I'm sure they are burning the candle at both ends in Chattanooga. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Amy
2014-09-23 3:13 PM

User image

He actually got a call back from somebody so disregard the above plea for assistance.

See everyone in Chattanooga!

2014-09-24 6:40 AM

User image

He actually got a call back from somebody so disregard the above plea for assistance.

See everyone in Chattanooga!

are they working with him to do that? (out of curiosity)
2014-09-24 8:48 AM

User image

When is everyone arriving into town? We are driving in late Thursday night, kids are doing the fun run Sat AM.

I'll be wearing "got chicked" tri kit, black and pink.

Did last pool swim this AM before the race! Y'all enjoy taper week and embrace the day on Sunday!
2014-09-24 8:59 AM
in reply to: #5049022

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Safe travels everyone - heading out of KC early tomorrow morning and will be in town by late afternoon. Look forward to seeing you all on the road.
2014-09-24 9:48 AM
in reply to: nmk62303

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by nmk62303 When is everyone arriving into town? We are driving in late Thursday night, kids are doing the fun run Sat AM. I'll be wearing "got chicked" tri kit, black and pink. Did last pool swim this AM before the race! Y'all enjoy taper week and embrace the day on Sunday!

Headed out in tomorrow morning about 0500.  Hope to be able to hit the end of packet pick up tomorrow afternoon to get that out of the way.  

I will be rather anonymous on the bike.  Black Pearl Izumi jersey with white sleeves (on the jersey not stand alone arm sleeves).  Ridding a black Felt B12 with white logos a 404 front and 404 with an aerojacket in the rear.

On the run I'll have a royal blue and florescent yellow Pearl Izumi singlet and florescent yellow compression socks and obnoxious Zoot Noosa shoes.

Hope everyone has safe travels and hope to run into a few of you throughout the weekend.

2014-09-24 12:31 PM
in reply to: nmk62303

User image

heading out tomorrow night after work - the perils of starting a new job and having no leave...no cushion for leaving early...lol!

as a note, if you are heading down from the DC (and north way) and going down I-81 - its homecoming at Virginia Tech this weekend, so there may be traffic to be wary of

2014-09-25 9:45 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
We arrived last night. Me are actually staying in our RV on the south side of town, I bel we are actually in Georgia. Heading into the race site shortly.
2014-09-25 10:17 AM
in reply to: kenj

User image

i'm extremely jealous of everyone posting their photos from the Ironman Village etc right now
2014-09-27 10:51 AM
in reply to: #5053441

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Headed to drop Mr. Felt off. I guess we are really going to do this thing! Got a pic with "The Voice of Ironman" last night, hopefully that's a good omen.

Good luck to all tomorrow!
2014-09-27 3:44 PM

User image

Regular
Wow, its officially go time. Had a great day today and feel good about tomorrow. The practice swim was a great moral booster. Water was good temperature and was really humming along. I don't think I will wear a wetsuit tomorrow based on how good water temp was.
Luckily after inspecting the tires on my bike last night, found several cracks on each tire, one would certainly have caused a problem on race day. Had to run around town to find tires but thanks to Owen's Cyclery for fixing my problem at the last minute. Good luck to everyone! I will be wearing a Green/Black tri kit from Chattanooga Tri Club. On run I will have yellow newtons, black calf socks and black long sleeve t shirt (de soto skin cooler).

J
2014-09-28 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

I heard about the tacks and oil on the course.  I pray everyone is okay.  Made me sick to my stomach to hear this news.  Don't people realize it's not just flat tires, it could cause serious accidents and injuries.  Very sad indeed.

2014-09-29 2:58 PM

User image

New user

Cleveland, TN
Brian Myrick (RD)...thank you! You put on an amazing race. I am a local and have done two other ironmans besides IMCHOO and by far this was my favorite. I will be doing this race for many years to come (just not next year cause the wife asked me to take a year off). The course was tough but fast and most importantly fun.

I'm so glad we had tons of local supporters (besides the one jerk who spread oil & tacks and the pick pocket who was run down and caught).

I've enjoyed all the comments and talk here much more than the crazy talk on Facebook. Thank you for helping me get to the finish line for the 3rd time in 3 years.

Y'all come back and see us in Chatt again soon!
2014-09-30 10:21 AM
in reply to: cmonty16

User image

I had a great race day in Chattanooga. Thank goodness I did not hit a tack on the bike course.

It's a good race and a great city. I hope everyone had fun.

On the off chance the RD is still popping in here a bit I'll put my feedback here. The big thing that I think could be really improved is the start. The swim itself is amazing. But I have three things that can be improved.

First, It will be hard but I honestly believe that not having a place to warm up before a swim this long just isn't a good idea. It will be tough to figure out because of the current but I truly think it's a very important safety item.

Second, there should be a way to see the swim course before you leap into the water so you have a mental plan of where you're going. This year we came from behind the tree line and within 5 seconds were splash into the river. Perhaps if there is a warmup area created this will be possible from that point.

Last point. I personally think the lining up for start position is stupid. This is a race and there shouldn't be a potential advantage for just getting up obscenely early. Set a time, organize corrals by estimated swim time or age group or whatever and make the line. There was plenty of space for this at the swim start area. Yes, people will lie about their time. But it won't matter because people trickle into the river and the river is so wide that the swimmers spread out immediately. Some folks were allegedly there at 3 am. That's just ridiculous.

2014-09-30 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
BEST DAY EVER!

I have nothing to compare to as this was my first IM. I'm glad I had the opportunity to make a training day early on and experience the course for myself. The FB anxiety, whining and pandemonium was ridiculous. This course was wonderful and everything about the day was more than I expected. The spectators, volunteers and WTC employees were incredible. I disagree about the swim start being a problem. I started at 7:43 which I think was somewhere in the middle so maybe there's a difference in perspective. Although that probably put me in the congested group exiting because I am a decent swimmer. Again, I have no previous experience for comparison so for me everything was good. I was so amazed to see the huge spectator crowds cheering for everyone as if they knew them. It was awesome!

I registered for 2015 at check-in on Thursday. Brian Myrick - you put on a fantastic event!
2014-09-30 10:45 PM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

Regular
Ill second some of the things said above. I live in Chatt, so was able to preview the course more than a few times.
1. Without even seeing the swim start until go time I thought the swim venue was fantastic. I swam immediately to the center of the river then aimed for the bridges. I've never had that much free water. Didn't even see another person until the barges just before bridges. I was close to the front of the line ... maybe 200 people in.
2. The swim exit was awesome...so many spectators cheering!
3. The bike course was very good / excellent weather. I was lucky and didn't have trouble with tacks or oil. Chickamauga was a great spectator amp up...kind of like LaGrange in Louisville race.
4. The run was very challenging, because I suck at running. Hills or no hills its always hard for me.
5. I thought the bike and run support was excellent (exceeded my expectations)
6. Volunteers were plentiful / amazing
7. I thought this was a great first time event, can't wait to do it again.

I would say the one thing I would fix would be porta potties at bike special needs (no where to re-lube the chassis so to speak).
Brian I thought it was fantastic, great job, and I didn't mind the extra four miles. I had a personal best here and met all goals for the race with a smile.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30607 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61103 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173196 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40385 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: