General Discussion Race Reports! » Half Full REV - Olympic 40 Mile Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Half Full REV - Olympic 40 Mile Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ellicott City, Maryland
United States
REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 55s
Overall Rank = 27/123
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

As usual, got there early with plenty of time to spare. Race is an hour away so I was up and out of the house very early. My usual coffee with something on the way. Got transition area set up in leisurely fashion. I had lots of space since two registered racers right next to me didn't show. The bike rack setup was a bit different than all the other races I've been in. Rather than your seat resting on a pole, the rear tire fit in a wooden slat. So there seemed to be a bit more room to put stuff.
Event warmup:

None. We were not allowed to get in the water. Put three little rips in my wetsuit getting it on. Guess I didn't clip my nails good enough. Will have to do some repairs before I put the suit away for the season.
Swim
  • 27m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Time trial start with two of us going off every 10-20 seconds or so. Got a HUGE hug from volunteer just before I went in.

So this was a pretty good swim. I felt smooth and fast in the wetsuit. Did not have to resort to breastroke/freestyle switching for probably the first 400 yards. Then it was 20 strokes breast followed by 20-25 strokes free. Sighting was pretty good even though I forgot my prescription swim goggles at work. Had trouble seeing the turn buoys a few times since they were the same color as some cars parked in the distance behind them. I also followed the line to one of the directional buoys for awhile before realizing the most direct line to the buoys after it was different. All in all pleased with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

It's apparent I won't be completing a swim segment entirely in freestyle. So I am going to work towards 20 strokes breast/30 strokes freestyle when I start doing the combination. This will get me an extra 5 power strokes. Should help some.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. The run from swim to bike was fairly long and uphill through a parking lot. I had cut a bit of my suit in the legs off to avoid getting my feet stuck as in the past. This helped a lot!

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 50s
  • 25 miles
  • 17.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a good ride. Felt strong. Remembered to actively use my core about halfway through. This seemed to help quite a bit. Tried to be aggressive on the downhills and conservative on the uphills. I remembered to drink regularly and did go through my 20 oz bottle. I knew I would need this since the temps really increased throughout the morning. Very humid. Glasses fogged up regularly and there was quite a bit of fog for awhile.

I did lose 1-2 minutes on the bike segment when I stop to help another cyclist in need. Something had happened to her knee and no one had stopped yet. I did and was able to signal to some volunteers in the distance. Waited until they got to her and then left. (If not for this stop, I think I would have captured the 1st AG spot -- 1st AG was 25 seconds faster than me).

Loved the new shoes. I seem to feel all the power going into the pedal rather than disappaiting (sp?) through the shoe and pedal.

Not much. I am going to start Saturday morning hill rides this fall. Should help immensely.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I loosened my shoes on the bike since I saw someone in front of me do this. Not sure if such a good idea.

Had trouble racking my bike since someone put their bike in my slot.

All else went well.
Run
  • 59m 19s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty good run. The hills were hard. I only walked three times I think. Power walked when I did. Felt in control rather than ultra-weary as in last race. My mantra was "Run your race, run your race".
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the finish area with ice on the hamstrings.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall a good balanced race. Felt that effort in each segment was just right.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race! Lots of volunteers, lots of different races going on (a 5K, the olympic, the half). This is a big fundraising race for cancer. Very good vibe.
Great food afterwards, Flying Dog beer, sunny day, lots of tents, very colorful.

Will do this one again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-02-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:52 | 1640 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 23/123
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes
Course: Centennial Lake. Buoys on my breathing side!
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:50 | 25 miles | 17.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 24/123
Wind: Little
Course: Oh...the hills. Quite a challenging course with good, long hills. I do believe there were more uphills than downhills! Rural. I even noticed the goats and sheep this time.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:19 | 06.5 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 27/123
Course: Through the park, by a school, on a road, through another park, on a road. Up and down, up and down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-07 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: Half Full REV - Olympic 40 Mile Distance

2013-10-07 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4872057

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: Half Full REV - Olympic 40 Mile Distance
Great Race and congrats on getting 2nd place AG!! I did the half and it was definitely a challenging course. Very hot run yesterday so congrats on a great race in tough conditions
2013-10-08 6:14 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Dang girl, an awesome race and way to bring home the bling!!!  2nd AG in a big race is huge!  Super nice swim speed considering you were switching between breast and free!  Nice of you to stop and help the girl in need, karma will be nice to you!  And what's up with someone racking their bike in your place?  You think they would have noticed the running shoes were not theirs!  Good thing they weren't gone too, ha ha!!  What a way to wrap up your season!
2013-10-08 4:16 PM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Pennsylvania
Hey fellow Melanie!  I heard your name called for AG awards and it gave me a little start even though I knew it wasn't me just because our name isn't too common.  Great race, congrats!!
2013-10-10 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4872057

User image

Regular
Nice race Melanie...you did very well. Your swimming the 1/2 & 1/2 got you some real good results too. It takes a lot of mo-jo to ride at 17+mph and you did a great job. The run at 9:08's is a wonderful run. You deserved a 2nd place finish. The only time I come close to any bling is when I see it on the metals table. I will never place in one...so feel proud of yourself--you should! Again, nice job!!
2013-10-11 8:03 AM
in reply to: joes

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Wow! What a great race and your times were awesome all around! You are such an inspiration to me!! Cant wait till next season!! 

2013-10-11 8:04 AM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
And Yes- that was awesome of you to stop and help someone in need!! Way to go!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Half Full REV - Olympic 40 Mile Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Half Full REV - Half 70 Mile Distance

Started by southwestmba
Views: 1589 Posts: 3

2012-10-15 5:57 PM ratherbeswimming

Started by bfinney
Views: 1058 Posts: 1

2012-10-08 12:08 PM bfinney

Started by Qua17
Views: 1902 Posts: 11

2013-02-08 5:15 AM justinfss

Half Full REV - Olympic 40 Mile Distance

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 1782 Posts: 8

2012-10-15 5:55 PM ratherbeswimming

Half Full 40-mile Triathlon

Started by MarlaS
Views: 1901 Posts: 13

2011-10-05 8:44 AM ceilidh
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.