Koz Events
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 37m 42s
Overall Rank = 165/385
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 17/40
Pre-race routine:

Get there early, get bike on rack, have a few snacks chill, fill up water bottle on bike put on wet suit add water.
Event warmup:

Go into the water and get wet prior to the race not much else for warmup
Swim
  • 40m 33s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was a little disappointed in my swim, both in the time and my overall ranking based on other competitors. Just never felt strong in the water.

I' will continue to improve on the swim.

There really was a lot of running on this swim.

I made sure I didn't make a "hard" effort cause this is just the start of a long day.
What would you do differently?:

I think I would have swam more bigger sets in the pool 500s, 1000s,
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Had a little trouble with getting the left shoe snug,,,,,,, I know I know, new equipment that you've only got 20 miles on before the race isn't the smartest thing. :)

Nothing really I had the 4th best T1 in my ag.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.98 mile/hr
Comments:

While my bike time is still slow it's improved a lot over the last year. I was very pleased with my effort on the bike. The first loop I felt fatigued and some very light muscle spasm or light cramping, I kept my effort at what I had planned and things smoothed out and it felt very comfortable the last 3 loops. The last half of the last loop I backed off quite a bit. I was real pleased for the most part on my hydration, nutrition and effort on the bike. After the swim and the first part of the bike I thought I was in for a long day.

A good friend said he thought that eating more on the bike is a good idea and I followed his advise. I had 6 gu's and one protein bar,plus my patented extra strength Gatorade. I was focusing so much on keeping my effort down on the last part i forgot to eat so I did some quick chowing just before I hit T2. I will neither confirm or deny any rumors about peeing on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

7th in ag

had a good or two tucked into my water bottle I take on the run,,,, possibly a hat too
Run
  • 1h 57m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I really felt like I nailed the run the best I possibly could,,,, did a great job of holding back at the start and building gradually until the last 1/2 mile or so I was doing all I could to hold on,,,,,,,,, passed a lot of people on the run and only had a a few people pass me.

after i entered the seal training area I took my shoes off to dump some sand out and when I put them back on I snugged the laces up a bit and on my right foot I snugged a little too much and ended up removing some skin and flesh from my right heel and my pinky toe a week later and they are still pretty tore up.... but hey, I saved 20 seconds or so for not putting on socks, right! ;)
Post race
Warm down:

Pam found me right away and had my sandals and I put them on right away, went walking around until I found the beer garden and did a proper inspection of the brew,,,, very very good. High quality micro brew,,, hmmmmmmmmmm goood

What limited your ability to perform faster:

On balance, I turned in a far faster time than I could have hoped for. I was hoping to break 6 hrs. The one thing I thought I would do better in was the swim and that was by far my worst event based on my pre race expectations.....

All day I did a great hob of staying within myself and not going too hard until the very last part of the run,,, and I passed someone in my ag in the last 100 yards,,,, yeah, that always feels good. :)

Event comments:

This was a great race, small, fun, cool people running it, incredible location, run course was just way too cool.

Race Web Site http://superfrogtriathlon.com/

Age Division Results http://www.geminitiming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/sf_age_2013....

Overall Results http://www.geminitiming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/sf_fl_2013.h...

This is a fun and fast race, beautiful beach run, and some of the best post race food and beer, really really good beer.

Highly recommend this race. They also have a sprint and an Oly in the spring, I think VegasDiver and I are going to do that one. It's a bay swim so it shouldn't be too cold of a swim.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:33 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/40
Overall: 0/385
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full ProMotion
Course: rectangle, 2 loops with a beach entry and a beach run in between loops and a beach run to T1
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:57:01 | 56 miles | 18.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/40
Avg HR 130 Max speed was 24.9
Wind: Little
Course: 4 loop pancake flat
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 4
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:57:17 | 13.1 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/40
Dur HR Dis. Speed Pace Total distance Total duration 1 0:14'21.2 145 1.49 6.2 9'40 1.49 0:14'21.2 Laps 2 0:16'55.0 150 1.69 6.0 10'00 3.18 0:31'16.2 Laps 3 0:09'31.2 153 1.01 6.3 9'27 4.18 0:40'47.4 Laps 4 0:10'20.0 153 1.12 6.5 9'14 5.30 0:51'07.4 Laps 5 0:44'56.8 157 4.77 6.4 9'25 10.07 1:36'04.2 Laps 6 0:05'01.8 161 0.55 6.6 9'05 10.63 1:41'06.0 Laps 7 0:14'48.8 163 1.60 6.5 9'16 12.22 1:55'54.8 Laps
Course: Sandy beach run for about 5 miles, most was nice hard packed except for a few hundred meters of really loose sand. Part of it was on the Military base that they use for Seal Training, it was a real honor and privilege to race there, with so many military including some spec ops folks.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-08 8:13 AM

User image

Subject: SuperFrog Triathlon

Nutrition:6 Gu's on the Bike and a protein bar, 2 Gu's on the run I could have had another Gu or two, felt a need for food at the end of the run. I also drank about 16oz of tripple strength Gatorade on the bike. Had my own water to start the run and took a little from the aid stations. The water bottle on the run I think is a time saver. Ran through all the aid stations. I would make a point to have a little more nutrition and I thought I had a lot. Taking it in on the Bike as a friend suggested worked well.

Things to Consider: I'm really glad I did a swim the day before, I hadn't done a beach start into waves before and I completely exhausted myself going through the waves. I'm glad I learned that on Saturday and not Sunday. 

My plan was to meter my efforts and to make sure I started at an effort that I could continue to increase throughout the 70.3 miles and I would have to say I really nailed that aspect of it. Really stoked about the HR data on the run, wish I would have hit the lap button on the turns on the bike.

A friend who I've raced against for years and never finished ahead of I passed on the run, he's a stud biker and had a 21 minute lead going into T2, I saw him on the beach when I came out of the Seal Training Area. 

Pre race training, I didn't do any bricks leading up to this, the only place I feel it hurt me was some blisters on my right foot, I didn't do enough sock-less running before the race and ended up with a big hole on my heel and my right pinky toe, I also tightened up my right shoe too much as well.

Post Race: In the future after a long hard day like this be more concerned with getting quality recovery food/drink into the body. I got a little cold and sore throat a couple of days afterwards and I think that may help the immune system fight that stuff off better.

Photo's VegasDiver took https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151927589755908.1073741831.251504095907&type=1

Edited by crusevegas 2013-10-08 8:34 AM

2013-10-11 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4872935

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: SuperFrog Triathlon

Nice race Vegas!

I have never done waves like that.  Super smart of you to do that practice swim. 

Bike sounds like it was solid.  Good job sticking to your plan, getting your nutrition in, and out;)

Sockless for a 70.3 run?  Tough guy, huh? Would you do that again?  Did you lube your shoes?

Really solid run, btw. Congratulations :)

2013-10-15 6:15 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Subject: RE: SuperFrog Triathlon

Originally posted by switch

Nice race Vegas!

I have never done waves like that.  Super smart of you to do that practice swim. 

Bike sounds like it was solid.  Good job sticking to your plan, getting your nutrition in, and out

Sockless for a 70.3 run?  Tough guy, huh? Would you do that again?  Did you lube your shoes?

Really solid run, btw. Congratulations

Thanks Switch, that was my 5th half (all sans socks) and this one really tore my right foot up, glad I had comfortable slippas after the race

On the other half's it wasn't a big deal on the feet, this one was, for two reasons, I think, I didn't do as much sock less running prior to the race and I think the sand played a part as well. At one point about mile 3ish I took my shoes off to shake some sand out and over tightened the right one. 

For SuperFrog with that sandy beach run, I might consider socks due to the sand. My running shoes I just put a little baby powder in them and that's just to help the feet slide in. 

Considering PigMan in the next year or 3, looks like a fun race. VegasDiver said that would be fitting for me,,,,,, hmmm, how did she mean that? lol

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SuperFrog Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Superfrog Triathlon

Started by chile7473
Views: 2107 Posts: 8

2009-04-06 2:24 PM StandsWithFist

Superfrog Triathlon

Started by thegomer
Views: 2329 Posts: 5

2008-04-13 5:13 PM LaurenSU02

Superfrog Triathlon

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 1929 Posts: 1

2008-04-10 12:43 AM TriBodyboarder

SuperFrog Triathlon

Views: 1630 Posts: 1

2007-09-25 7:10 PM TriBodyboarder

SuperFrog Triathlon

Views: 2007 Posts: 2

2006-09-27 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon