Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2013-12-30 1:31 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I started marathon training today. YAY! I feel like I'm home  

Oh man, I did a 10 mile run Sat with some tempo in the middle (shyte, I ran a 5:58 mile in there on total accident) then did a 14 mile long run yesterday. I had sort of forgotten about the glycogen depletion when doing a back to back like that and totally bonked at the 10-mile mark on that "long" run! That NEVER happens to me. I was super shaky and everything. Anyway, I stopped at the grocery store  and got 2 spicy chicken tenders, 1 cheese kaiser roll and 1 King Sized Snickers, ate it all and continued my run. I felt muuuchhhh better after my feast. 

OMG...I'd be lying on the side of the road throwing up.  =

2013-12-30 1:36 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I started marathon training today. YAY! I feel like I'm home  

Oh man, I did a 10 mile run Sat with some tempo in the middle (shyte, I ran a 5:58 mile in there on total accident) then did a 14 mile long run yesterday. I had sort of forgotten about the glycogen depletion when doing a back to back like that and totally bonked at the 10-mile mark on that "long" run! That NEVER happens to me. I was super shaky and everything. Anyway, I stopped at the grocery store  and got 2 spicy chicken tenders, 1 cheese kaiser roll and 1 King Sized Snickers, ate it all and continued my run. I felt muuuchhhh better after my feast. 

OMG...I'd be lying on the side of the road throwing up.  =

Yeah, I'd say my ability to eat whatever (EXCEPT JALAPENOS) whenever, is probably my greatest running talent. 

2013-12-30 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by msteiner

I think I finally got this long run phobia of mine behind me.  Had a killer 23 mile run this past weekend: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/421383695

Fun! Feelin' ready for the marathon? Yay for taper time!

Yeah I think I'm ready.  I'm looking forward to getting back to tri training more than the marathon.  

2014-01-07 9:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

4 days out from my full.  I'm not nervous yet, but I probably will be about 5 mins before go time.

Edited by msteiner 2014-01-07 9:50 AM
2014-01-07 11:24 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Me thinks you will crush it.  What does the weather look like for race day?

2014-01-07 11:47 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by popsracer

Me thinks you will crush it.  What does the weather look like for race day?

Currently it looks like this

That rain has gone from 40% to 70% to now this.  There's no telling what the forecast will actually be.

2014-01-07 4:55 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Go Matt!

I hope the rain isn't too tough, but, FWIW, one of my best marathons was in rain, and I remember that picture from this fall of you in a serious downpour, so you've got experience on your side :)  60s sound perfect!

I'm excited to hear how this goes, like Steve said, I think you will crush it. Good luck!

2014-01-07 6:10 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by switch

Go Matt!

I hope the rain isn't too tough, but, FWIW, one of my best marathons was in rain, and I remember that picture from this fall of you in a serious downpour, so you've got experience on your side   60s sound perfect!

I'm excited to hear how this goes, like Steve said, I think you will crush it. Good luck!

(Hi switch! Missing you...)

I will echo the comments about you doing well, Matt. Keep your pacing plan and remember that the race starts at mile 20.
Conserve as much energy to get to that point before trying to 'push the pace'. And please don't try to bank any time, thinking
that you are feeling 'too good' early on. Adjust on race day, as you think you need to. The rain may or may not make a difference to you, but pay attention whether you 'think' it did or not, for next time.

Best of luck.
I can't wait for the report!
2014-01-08 7:55 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

4 days out from my full.  I'm not nervous yet, but I probably will be about 5 mins before go time.

matt, good luck this weekend! a bit of nervous energy is usually a good thing. really look forward to reading your race report.

i'm nursing a broken arm right now...dom hand so going to be mostly reading for a bit.  hope all are having a great start to 2014.

2014-01-08 3:47 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Kim--Wait--what?  A broken arm?  What happened? I'm so sorry :(

---

Thanks Dale.  I've missed my BT peeps too.  I see a lot of new stuff in the works for January and 2014, including your running group which I wish I was participating in. I've been pretty active over here. but no real training per se.  I'm really looking forward to getting back into some semblance of a routine :)

I hope you all are having a great start to 2014!

2014-01-08 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The weather is looking a lot better this Saturday. Looks like I'm running out of potential excuses 

2014-01-08 4:14 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

HAHAHA!

Know what I'm sayin!  No pressure Matt ;P

2014-01-08 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by kcarroll

matt, good luck this weekend! a bit of nervous energy is usually a good thing. really look forward to reading your race report.

i'm nursing a broken arm right now...dom hand so going to be mostly reading for a bit.  hope all are having a great start to 2014.

Kim!
I hope you are doing better now. I'm so very sorry to hear about the busted wing.
No surgery?

When I broke my hand years ago during my internship, I learned to write lefty and do all my procedures lefty. Good thing I'm ambidextrous...

Feel better and keep us up to date on the recovery. OK?
2014-01-09 7:13 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by dtoce
Originally posted by kcarroll

Kim! I hope you are doing better now. I'm so very sorry to hear about the busted wing. No surgery? When I broke my hand years ago during my internship, I learned to write lefty and do all my procedures lefty. Good thing I'm ambidextrous... Feel better and keep us up to date on the recovery. OK?

tx dale, impressed you were able to write and do procedures as a leftie. i'm re-wiring the pathways but a long way from being able to write.  i fell out on a trail run while up in vt. had a closed reduction in the ed (radius, displaced, extra articular) and just transitioned from s tong splint to fiberglass cast. i see the hand guy again on monday for more films and new cast.  am now 2 wks out so assuming everything has stayed put, it's just inconvenience for another 6 wks or so. hoping to put that time to good use on the trainer.  

2014-01-10 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Holy Cow this thread got active again!

Matt - good luck this weekend...methinks you're going to crush it.  That weather looks perfect.  Beats the hell out of the freezing rain we have here right now.

Elesa - good to see you back and posting,...Happy New Year!

Kim - sorry to hear about your wing, but sounds like you're on the mend

I'm about four weeks into my training plan, other than the usual holiday distractions and a nasty chest cold, so far so good.  I had my first relatively hard trainer session this morning and I think I need to adjust my TR FTP down a bit...clearly the bike layoff has affected me.  And I found the pool, too!!! 

I thought about joining Dale's 100 mile challenge but that would've been a pretty big jump in mileage for me, so maybe by March.    I am shooting for 1K for the year, though.

2014-01-10 11:25 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I too have started back on the trainer and in the pool.  I think I've quadrupled my list of weaknesses.  But all in good time.  I focused primarily on running weaknesses and I feel really good about addressing them and feel like I have a good plan in place now.  The bike/swim is just going to take a whole other series to deal with over the coming months.   There is no end to Work your Weakness.

2014-01-13 9:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I posted my report from my Marathon.  You can find it here:
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=509187

I'll probably add more to it as I collect my thoughts.

The short version is I missed my goal with a finish of 3:35:15.  I am glad it's over and excited to get back to tri training.

Edited by msteiner 2014-01-13 9:25 AM
2014-01-13 12:21 PM

User image

Seattle

The short version is I missed my goal with a finish of 3:35:15.  I am glad it's over and excited to get back to tri training.

Ah, bummer!

Would you have changed anything with your training?

2014-01-13 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Ah, bummer!

I'm really not sure.  One guy who's pretty fast here suggested that my long runs were too slow.  I averaged around 7:45 for my pace, but expecting to go further than I have in training at 20 seconds per mile faster was too much (according to him).  Jack Daniels is pretty big on intervals during the long run, and for marathons maybe that's something that I should consider if I ever think about trying again.

Other than that I'm kind of scratching my head at this one.  Maybe I'm just not a distance runner.

2014-01-13 1:58 PM

User image

Seattle

Ah, bummer!

I'm really not sure.  One guy who's pretty fast here suggested that my long runs were too slow.  I averaged around 7:45 for my pace, but expecting to go further than I have in training at 20 seconds per mile faster was too much (according to him).  Jack Daniels is pretty big on intervals during the long run, and for marathons maybe that's something that I should consider if I ever think about trying again.

Other than that I'm kind of scratching my head at this one.  Maybe I'm just not a distance runner.

It sounds like you were endurance limited. Not really speed.

Did you do any hill work or at least do long runs on terrain similar to the M?

2014-01-13 2:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Ah, bummer!

It sounds like you were endurance limited. Not really speed.

Did you do any hill work or at least do long runs on terrain similar to the M?

I thought I had, but apparently I was off by a fair margin.  The hilliest course I ran had 440ish ft elevation in 21 miles, where this course was about 1kft elevation.  So some more hill work probably would have helped.

Endurance was definitely an issue.  At mile 20 I was breathing fine and was able to talk.  I just lacked the ability to go.  It was frustrating knowing I had a lot of running left to do.

2014-01-13 5:40 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Dang, Matt...thought you were going to nail that one.  Well, marathons are a crazy thing and it takes years of practice to really get a hang of the right training and tapering strategies.  Maybe it was just an off day...who knows? 

I look forward to seeing how this running focus helps your tri season.

2014-01-13 6:35 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Dang, Matt...thought you were going to nail that one.  Well, marathons are a crazy thing and it takes years of practice to really get a hang of the right training and tapering strategies.  Maybe it was just an off day...who knows? 

I look forward to seeing how this running focus helps your tri season.

You nailed it there. I think it's exactly what makes the marathon so difficult. There are so many variables. And if one of them is not quite right, you don't get to go out and try again next week.

But hey, it's about the journey, not the destination.

2014-01-13 6:41 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Matt--I posted in your RR, but just wanted to say again I'm sorry things didn't go the way you hoped.  Marathons really are a unique beast, and though we can't know for sure, I bet a "flat and fast" course would be a very different deal.  

2014-01-14 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by switch

Matt--I posted in your RR, but just wanted to say again I'm sorry things didn't go the way you hoped.  Marathons really are a unique beast, and though we can't know for sure, I bet a "flat and fast" course would be a very different deal.  

It's funny, because as soon as I finished, I had at least 3 people from the local tri group telling me "you would nail 3:15 on a flat course", but ultimately it wasn't about getting the number.  The goal was aggressive intentionally to push myself in training.  Marathons are tough, but I can't deny the results of my training.  I think I'm in good shape heading into tri season.  

That and I'm not exactly looking to dive into another marathon

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  

of 53

RELATED POSTS

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVIII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35194 Posts: 1084

2008-06-03 8:15 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35097 Posts: 957

2008-05-20 8:51 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVI) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 33998 Posts: 1003

2008-05-08 9:14 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XV) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35566 Posts: 1005

2008-04-27 6:23 PM lastcall2003

The Mike Ricci July Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by vortmax
Views: 5533 Posts: 61

2006-08-02 3:35 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
It sounds like you have a very common condition that many runners and triathletes experience called patello-femoral pain syndrome. We have seen that runners with core weakness experience this.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : March 21, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
March BeginnerTriathlete of the Month Interview with Mike Ricci

date : June 4, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 2
One year ago I weighed 238 lbs. and got winded walking up one flight of stairs - literally. I ran across a brochure for a triathlon...hmm. It seemed like an impossible task, but I was intrigued.
date : May 16, 2005
author : infosteward
"After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."

date : April 17, 2005
author : Team BT
How to be a BOPer or MOPer in a FOPer world. As a middle of the pack athlete, I have adopted some things I do to assure a victorious feeling at every event I finish.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you turn a weakness into strength? It begins with effecting a fundamental change to your triathlete self-image.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!