General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TrainingPeaks Performance Manager & Tapering Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-17 7:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: TrainingPeaks Performance Manager & Tapering
Can anyone do a quick help for me on this?

I'm learning the uses of CTL, ATL, TSB in the Performance Manager. I've enough data at least over run and swim to have a decent couple of years of data, and only recent (this week) addition of HR data especially to start getting data for the bike. I believe my zones are appropriately set.

Attached is my performance monitoring chart for the last 90 days. What is readily evident is that I've been training and racing in the last 40 days or so with a negative Training Stress Balance. I can say that prior to paying attention to this chart, physically I"m keenly aware that I'm training less than fully fresh. This was part of my plan - train to the limit then taper.

I'm racing HIM Miami in roughly 10 days. My taper has begun, and will accelerate in the next 7 days (meaning I'm reducing volume, increasing intensity in my plan).

Maybe too late for this race, but should I be aiming to hit a positive TSB for race time?

Thanks!

(pf-chart.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
pf-chart.JPG (120KB - 20 downloads)

2013-10-17 7:44 AM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: TrainingPeaks Performance Manager & Tapering
Reduce Volume and MAINTAIN intensity I believe is what you meant to say.

The point is to reduce that fatigue and maintain the fitness.
2013-10-17 8:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

As Dan implied, during build cycles before a taper, you're accumulating both fitness and fatigue.

The PMC in TP is an attempt to quantify your fitness and fatigue levels allowing it to be better managed.  Think of TSB as an indication of your fatigue level (freshness).  A positive number means you're fresh, and a negative number means you're fatigued.  The goal of tapering is to get rid of the fatigue while maintaining your fitness.  Basically, tapering exploits the fact that fatigue dissipates more quickly than we lose fitness.

Assuming your zones are set accurately, most people perform best with a positive TSB, because theoretically, they're more fresh and less fatigued.  Just how large of a positive number can vary from person to person.  Also, watching the balance in each sport can be useful too.  If you have a positive 10 TSB in swimming and biking, but a negative 5 in running, you may have a +15 TSB overall, but not race as well as if you had a +5 in all three disciplines for the same total +15 TSB.

Other variables that can affect all of this are nutrition, amount of sleep, other stressors such as work and family, and an individual's natural ability to recover.

So, it's easy to see why it can take some experimentation to determine what the ideal numbers are for an individual.

Of course, all of this is dependent on the accuracy of the data you feed into the system.

ETA:  I also agree with Dan's comment that you should reduce volume and maintain intensity, not increase it.

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-10-17 8:35 AM
2013-10-17 10:03 AM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by Marvarnett

Reduce Volume and MAINTAIN intensity I believe is what you meant to say.

The point is to reduce that fatigue and maintain the fitness.

Yes thanks.
2013-10-17 10:04 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by TriMyBest

As Dan implied, during build cycles before a taper, you're accumulating both fitness and fatigue.

The PMC in TP is an attempt to quantify your fitness and fatigue levels allowing it to be better managed.  Think of TSB as an indication of your fatigue level (freshness).  A positive number means you're fresh, and a negative number means you're fatigued.  The goal of tapering is to get rid of the fatigue while maintaining your fitness.  Basically, tapering exploits the fact that fatigue dissipates more quickly than we lose fitness.

Assuming your zones are set accurately, most people perform best with a positive TSB, because theoretically, they're more fresh and less fatigued.  Just how large of a positive number can vary from person to person.  Also, watching the balance in each sport can be useful too.  If you have a positive 10 TSB in swimming and biking, but a negative 5 in running, you may have a +15 TSB overall, but not race as well as if you had a +5 in all three disciplines for the same total +15 TSB.

Other variables that can affect all of this are nutrition, amount of sleep, other stressors such as work and family, and an individual's natural ability to recover.

So, it's easy to see why it can take some experimentation to determine what the ideal numbers are for an individual.

Of course, all of this is dependent on the accuracy of the data you feed into the system.

ETA:  I also agree with Dan's comment that you should reduce volume and maintain intensity, not increase it.

Thx. Very helpful.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TrainingPeaks Performance Manager & Tapering Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To Taper or NOT to Taper.....

Started by bmeere
Views: 841 Posts: 8

2011-07-18 4:57 PM TriMyBest

TrainingPeaks and WKO+ program

Started by JollyRoger
Views: 937 Posts: 10

2010-11-22 7:48 AM JollyRoger

logging workouts: TrainingPeaks vs BT

Started by michgirlsk
Views: 4926 Posts: 11

2010-02-15 9:59 PM Thrash1

To taper or not to taper???

Started by cycle_todd
Views: 1238 Posts: 11

2009-02-12 1:15 PM JorgeM

Sports Performance Bulletin, Peak Performance articles

Started by Spider
Views: 1162 Posts: 1

2008-03-11 1:57 PM Spider
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 27, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
You may find your taper plan changing from week to week, based on how your body responds to the actual taper.

date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?

date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 16 week sprint triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.
Program details of the 16 week sprint triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.

comments : 6