General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM FL sign up tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-19 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Subject: IM FL sign up tips
Hey guys I've decided that IMFL 2014 will be my first IM. I know it sells out quick so do you have any tips/tricks that I need to know to sign up online? I am in the navy and will likely still be on a detachment during sign up time so I don't want to miss out.

Thanks.

2013-10-19 3:36 PM
in reply to: trmat79

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: RE: IM FL sign up tips
Pray! I got lucky and got in online last year via my phone at noon. That said I do know a lot of people who tried signing up online and didn't get in. Gen entry slots sold out crazy fast.

Only thing you can really do is be online at 12 noon CST on the 3rd
2013-10-19 7:00 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Year before last I hit the send button at 12:18 and did not make it.  Will probably try again

2013-10-19 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
I was one of the lucky few that got in online this year for IMFL. I made sure my USAT card was renewed through the race date. Otherwise it will make you before finishing registration. I was also already signed into my active account. I had gone to another IM that had registration open and answered all the questions that involved typing in a word document, even had my credit card info on the word document. I then just copy and pasted the answers when filling out the IMFL form. On top of being signed in to my active account, I had the IMFL registration link pulled up and continuously refreshed it frequently the 10 minutes prior to it opening and the last minute all I did was refresh over and over again until it opened and I got a spot.
2013-10-19 10:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Houston
I was lucky enough to get into IMAZ this year on the computer.
To help with my odds I had 'registered' IMTX several times so I knew what fields had to be answered and which ones I could skip.
IMTX was still open for registration so I could go through and pretend to register until I got to the payment page.
When IMAZ opened I started trying to log in 2 minutes before it went live and kept refreshing. My husband was on another computer next to me at the same time. We just knew if one of us got to the payment page the other would stop. He got kicked out and I was able to get through. We were both trying to register me FYI.
As far as Florida, I know it sells out fast but everybody I know (20 or so folks) who were trying to get in got in. I know several people who did not get into AZ.
Good luck!

PS - Make sure your USAT card is valid through the date of the race you want to sign up for.
It is not supposed to boot you for this but I did get booted out of a half distance because it said my card was going to expire before the race.

Edited by KeriKadi 2013-10-19 10:20 PM
2013-10-20 6:54 AM

Connecticut
Originally posted by trmat79

Hey guys I've decided that IMFL 2014 will be my first IM. I know it sells out quick so do you have any tips/tricks that I need to know to sign up online? I am in the navy and will likely still be on a detachment during sign up time so I don't want to miss out.

Thanks.

I did the same as others here - Logged into my active account early, constantly refreshed the web page starting at 11:59, had all info ready to go, but what really helped was having multiple registrations going at the same time. During the registration process it took at least 2-3 minutes to navigate from page to page, I used this wait time to start another registration just in case. Eventually, the first registration failed and kicked me completely out of the system. The second registration was a click away from submitting.

I don't remember if it was my 2nd, 3rd, or 4th registration attempt that finally was successful, but I do remember that I needed to be patient. After finally filling in all the info and getting through all the screens, the site informed me that all slots were filled. I kept refreshing the web page anyway (at least 25 times) and the registration finally went through. I suspect many people experienced the same thing I did - you start the registration, get through much of it and then the system kicks you out because it is so overloaded. This "freed" up a spot that I eventually got which didn't happen until about 12:20.

Good luck

2013-10-20 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
be logged into your active account before hand and hit refresh every second from about 11:58 pm CST until the link becomes active.
2013-10-20 12:28 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Same as others here for IMAZ last year. 3 computers going and I registered on the fist one that let me start the registration. I did a trial registration prior for IMCOZ just to see what fields I needed and I also made sure everything was ready to cut and paste. My hands were shaking when I was entering things in but when I hit send it accepted I was shocked. It sold out in 40 seconds!

Good luck!

Keba
2013-10-21 3:02 PM

User image

maybe have someone at home stateside do it for you (I don't know if that is legal or not)...since Navy times, you just never know what is going to be happening at a given time...especially if you have your heart set on doing IMFL
2013-10-21 11:02 PM

User image

I went down and volunteered last year and then stood in line the next morning. Rather expensive way to do it, but it was a great experience and I was assured a slot.
2013-10-22 8:33 AM
in reply to: Dfw123

User image

Milwaukee
Originally posted by Dfw123

Originally posted by trmat79

Thanks.

I did the same as others here - Logged into my active account early, constantly refreshed the web page starting at 11:59, had all info ready to go, but what really helped was having multiple registrations going at the same time. During the registration process it took at least 2-3 minutes to navigate from page to page, I used this wait time to start another registration just in case. Eventually, the first registration failed and kicked me completely out of the system. The second registration was a click away from submitting.

I don't remember if it was my 2nd, 3rd, or 4th registration attempt that finally was successful, but I do remember that I needed to be patient. After finally filling in all the info and getting through all the screens, the site informed me that all slots were filled. I kept refreshing the web page anyway (at least 25 times) and the registration finally went through. I suspect many people experienced the same thing I did - you start the registration, get through much of it and then the system kicks you out because it is so overloaded. This "freed" up a spot that I eventually got which didn't happen until about 12:20.

Good luck

Just a tip on this.... only fill in *ed/required info..... leave the optional stuff blank... and type fast

2013-10-22 9:30 AM
in reply to: kskonkol

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by kskonkol
Originally posted by trmat79 Hey guys I've decided that IMFL 2014 will be my first IM. I know it sells out quick so do you have any tips/tricks that I need to know to sign up online? I am in the navy and will likely still be on a detachment during sign up time so I don't want to miss out. Thanks.
I did the same as others here - Logged into my active account early, constantly refreshed the web page starting at 11:59, had all info ready to go, but what really helped was having multiple registrations going at the same time. During the registration process it took at least 2-3 minutes to navigate from page to page, I used this wait time to start another registration just in case. Eventually, the first registration failed and kicked me completely out of the system. The second registration was a click away from submitting. I don't remember if it was my 2nd, 3rd, or 4th registration attempt that finally was successful, but I do remember that I needed to be patient. After finally filling in all the info and getting through all the screens, the site informed me that all slots were filled. I kept refreshing the web page anyway (at least 25 times) and the registration finally went through. I suspect many people experienced the same thing I did - you start the registration, get through much of it and then the system kicks you out because it is so overloaded. This "freed" up a spot that I eventually got which didn't happen until about 12:20. Good luck
Just a tip on this.... only fill in *ed/required info..... leave the optional stuff blank... and type fast

I don't think that is true anymore, I believe once you hit register you have 10 minutes to fill in the form and the slot is held, which is why they are selling out so much faster as it is the start of the process that locks the slots versus the end when you pay.  Correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I understand.

2013-10-23 9:05 PM

User image

Along with what others mentioned, know right away if you're willing to pay double the price for a foundation slot. It seems like once general registration closes, a lot of people give up right then and there. The foundation slots are pricey, but I believe a portion is tax deductable and give you a decent shot to get in assuming you go for it right away.

Given the overall cost of doing an IM, an extra $600-700 to do the race you really want to do is not insurmountable for most people.

2013-10-24 12:35 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by kenj

Originally posted by trmat79 Hey guys I've decided that IMFL 2014 will be my first IM. I know it sells out quick so do you have any tips/tricks that I need to know to sign up online? I am in the navy and will likely still be on a detachment during sign up time so I don't want to miss out. Thanks.
I did the same as others here - Logged into my active account early, constantly refreshed the web page starting at 11:59, had all info ready to go, but what really helped was having multiple registrations going at the same time. During the registration process it took at least 2-3 minutes to navigate from page to page, I used this wait time to start another registration just in case. Eventually, the first registration failed and kicked me completely out of the system. The second registration was a click away from submitting. I don't remember if it was my 2nd, 3rd, or 4th registration attempt that finally was successful, but I do remember that I needed to be patient. After finally filling in all the info and getting through all the screens, the site informed me that all slots were filled. I kept refreshing the web page anyway (at least 25 times) and the registration finally went through. I suspect many people experienced the same thing I did - you start the registration, get through much of it and then the system kicks you out because it is so overloaded. This "freed" up a spot that I eventually got which didn't happen until about 12:20. Good luck

I don't think that is true anymore, I believe once you hit register you have 10 minutes to fill in the form and the slot is held, which is why they are selling out so much faster as it is the start of the process that locks the slots versus the end when you pay.  Correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I understand.

This is what we thought but while filling out info my husband got booted.
2013-10-24 2:21 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by KeriKadi
Originally posted by kenj

This is what we thought but while filling out info my husband got booted.

You are talking about registerin gin 2012 for 2013?

They changed things in July or August of 2013 for IMs in 2014.

2013-11-03 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I hope you were able to get in. I saw the athlete line Thursday morning and the volunteer line this morning and I'm not sure how many spots made it online but I'm guessing not many.

2013-11-03 3:29 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Foundation slots still available. 

2013-11-03 4:27 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
, California

Originally posted by Jason N Along with what others mentioned, know right away if you're willing to pay double the price for a foundation slot. It seems like once general registration closes, a lot of people give up right then and there. The foundation slots are pricey, but I believe a portion is tax deductable and give you a decent shot to get in assuming you go for it right away. Given the overall cost of doing an IM, an extra $600-700 to do the race you really want to do is not insurmountable for most people.

Or just go do a race with some hills :P

2013-11-04 9:09 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Jason N Along with what others mentioned, know right away if you're willing to pay double the price for a foundation slot. It seems like once general registration closes, a lot of people give up right then and there. The foundation slots are pricey, but I believe a portion is tax deductable and give you a decent shot to get in assuming you go for it right away. Given the overall cost of doing an IM, an extra $600-700 to do the race you really want to do is not insurmountable for most people.

Or just go do a race with some hills :P

That's what I was thinking! IM Canada is still open. Certainly better scenery and probably better weather. Of course it will involve some climbing on the bike and the run course isn't flat so it will make it harder to brag about an IM PR.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM FL sign up tips Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What are some tips on signing up for fast selling out IM

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 1996 Posts: 13

2012-12-03 1:20 PM dmbfan4life20

Fl. IM sign up 2008

Started by twolives1
Views: 1115 Posts: 7

2007-10-16 10:48 AM cbost2678

IMLP 2008 sign-ups

Started by JohnnyKay
Views: 1365 Posts: 6

2007-05-07 1:55 PM TimmyMay

IM 70.3 FL Qualifiers for IM WI

Started by TriDDS
Views: 1061 Posts: 1

2006-10-17 7:29 AM TriDDS

IMCDA 2006 Sign ups

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1260 Posts: 3

2005-08-16 9:48 PM PGoldberger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.

date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
comments : 0
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!