General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Outside the Lines Article on Triathlon Swimming Deaths Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-20 10:50 AM

User image

Subject: Outside the Lines Article on Triathlon Swimming Deaths
I just read the article

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9838319/trouble-surface

It was really interesting. I must say the feeling of distress and panic has often hit me in the swim. I really related to a lot of the article. In the Lausanne, Switzerland triathlon last year the wind was really blowing and the waves on Lake Geneva where as big as I have seen. It was an Olympic distance and it was an out and back starting from a pier going parallel to the shore. I am a slow swimmer and I was worried about being unnoticed in the back and away from the main pack. I was really glad that I managed to find two other swimmers and it gave me some comfort. I emerged from the swim literally sea sick from the waves.

I was also an interesting read how much different it is here in Europe. Listening to the lawsuits pile up after each swimming death. While Europe isn't immune from this there is a much greater sense of personal responsibility for ones actions. I am actually curious how many deaths there are in Swiss triathlons a year. I will try and find out and update this. I wonder if since our swims only take place in lakes, with fairly clear waters, if this is less likely. Also since the Swiss population tends to be life long athletes with also a tendency towards self reliance if there is less panic in the water.

Now in swims I wait 30 sec to a minute after the start and then go. My route is always to the outside and wide. I actually dislike staggered starts because then I get torpedoed from behind. As I tell my friends the swim is the freakiest. If something happens on the run you get a taxi, on the bike you take a train, but on the swim you drown. You do feel more vulnerable.

Let me know what you think about the article.

Paul

2013-10-20 11:25 AM
in reply to: pfomalont

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Outside the Lines Article on Triathlon Swimming Deaths
When you crunch the numbers, skydiving is still way more dangerous so triathlon is a safe sport. But I agree that any action to save even one life is worth the effort.

What I don't get is when companies like WTC try to implement strategies to PROTECT the athlete and they are ripped apart by comments of how they are watering down the IM race. So what do athletes want? Safe races or the 5 second spectacle that is a mass start. I am firmly aware this happens in TT and wave starts too, but can you give negative comments to WTC for their efforts?

Personal responsibility needs to be taken for account. Athletes need to train better instead of going into IM's as their first race. Athletes need to take their own health into consideration, gets yearly physicals, prepare for the race appropriately (warmup), etc.
2013-10-20 2:42 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by pfomalont

I just read the article

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9838319/trouble-surface

It was really interesting. I must say the feeling of distress and panic has often hit me in the swim. I really related to a lot of the article. In the Lausanne, Switzerland triathlon last year the wind was really blowing and the waves on Lake Geneva where as big as I have seen. It was an Olympic distance and it was an out and back starting from a pier going parallel to the shore. I am a slow swimmer and I was worried about being unnoticed in the back and away from the main pack. I was really glad that I managed to find two other swimmers and it gave me some comfort. I emerged from the swim literally sea sick from the waves.

I was also an interesting read how much different it is here in Europe. Listening to the lawsuits pile up after each swimming death. While Europe isn't immune from this there is a much greater sense of personal responsibility for ones actions. I am actually curious how many deaths there are in Swiss triathlons a year. I will try and find out and update this. I wonder if since our swims only take place in lakes, with fairly clear waters, if this is less likely. Also since the Swiss population tends to be life long athletes with also a tendency towards self reliance if there is less panic in the water.

Now in swims I wait 30 sec to a minute after the start and then go. My route is always to the outside and wide. I actually dislike staggered starts because then I get torpedoed from behind. As I tell my friends the swim is the freakiest. If something happens on the run you get a taxi, on the bike you take a train, but on the swim you drown. You do feel more vulnerable.

Let me know what you think about the article.

Paul

The greater level of commitment to one's sport was something interesting I observed in Europe. In the US, there's definitely much more of an inclusive, "anyone can do a Tri!" attitude than there is over there. The "I'm happy just to finish" mentality, where people without a background in SBR enter a race on minimal training and plan to swim buoy to bouy, ride their upright cruiser bike and then walk the whole run leg doesn't really exist over there. I did a group workout with a French Tri club and even though I had done dozens of tris, they were still surprised that I was participating in the sport when I hadn't come from a competitive swim, bike, or run background, as all of them had. It seems that there people seem to figure out what "their" sport is at an early age and pretty much stay in their lane their whole life. I'm not saying it's better or worse, just different.
2013-10-20 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
I thought the article was a fair and unbiased assessment of the swim deaths and some actions being taken to alleviate them. I think it's great that this is getting attention as fewer deaths is better for the sport for all of us.

I think that swim deaths get attention because they are horrible, happen in a competition, and happen in an environment where it is difficult to rescue you quickly.

On the other hand, I think we all take far more risk each day we ride our bikes on roads with texting and inattentive car drivers...

Brian
2013-10-20 4:21 PM
in reply to: famelec

User image

Not sure why a new thread was started on this when the old one was on top this morning but here's my post from the other thread:

That article really doesn't say much to be honest. In fact, I think it's actually more surprising that theres ONLY been 44 swim deaths in 6 years, and few of those were proven to be "swim" deaths vs "medical condition" deaths that happened in the water.

I don't see how this is even a real thing. I'm sure there's been 100's of 1000's of people who have done tri's in that time frame and to have such a low number of deaths for an admittedly risky event is surprising.
2013-10-20 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good article. I was very nervous in my first OWS, even though I had been swimming in Lake George to prepare, but didn't have a wetsuit on. I swam a lot more in the lake to practice, and wore wetsuits in the other tris I did. I don't know if I would do a swim without a wetsuit. The buoyancy it gives could be a lifesaver if I ever got a cramp or swallowed water.

Also, I always start at the back side and keep an eye on the safety kayaks. I am very comfortable in the water but a good kick to the head could be dangerous so I avoid others as much as possible. But then again, I'm not trying to win. just finish safely.

2013-10-20 4:46 PM

User image

I can't decide whether I think that the article was sensationalistic of unbiased. I did enjoy reading it but it seems to be making an issue of triathlons as unbelievably dangerous and the race directors grossly negligent. There is no doubt in big races with 1000 or more people in the water if something happens it is hard to see them and then get them effective medical treatment quickly. Like someone else noted I was amazed how little accidents there were on the bike. It is too bad HR monitors don't work in the water. I bet it would be a good study to see the effects of panic during the swim on the heart. It seems that was a big point of the article.
2013-10-20 4:47 PM

User image

I can't decide whether I think that the article was sensationalistic of unbiased. I did enjoy reading it but it seems to be making an issue of triathlons as unbelievably dangerous and the race directors grossly negligent. There is no doubt in big races with 1000 or more people in the water if something happens it is hard to see them and then get them effective medical treatment quickly. Like someone else noted I was amazed how little accidents there were on the bike. It is too bad HR monitors don't work in the water. I bet it would be a good study to see the effects of panic during the swim on the heart. It seems that was a big point of the article.
2013-10-20 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4880732

User image

There are hrms that work in the water. None are Garmin gps though unfortunately.
2013-10-20 6:58 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

One tri I did this year was an individual stagger. Everyone lined up according to their bib number and we were started five seconds apart. The bib numbers were assigned based on predicted speeds. The problem with it is at the finish line where you can't really see who you've beaten and who you need to pass. I thought it worked out very well though and it sure was nicer than the melee at most swim starts.
2013-10-20 7:08 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Pro

I found the article, mostly- just pretty sad.

I do appreciate when Race Directors put safety first.  Not just on the swim, but especially on the bike as well.  Having volunteers pointing out sharp turns, uneven terrain, separation from traffic, etc.  I did one 70.3 where the RD had a separate swim wave for those who wanted extra 'coverage', and he had a fleet of kayaks out there to patrol it all.  Well done sir!

Certainly, the USAT and RDs should set good standards for safe conditions.  Sadly, no amount of safety will be able to protect everyone.  

2013-10-20 7:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'm no math whiz, but 44 swim deaths over the course of seven years doesn't seem like a huge number. I don't mean to minimize this (one death is obviously one too many) but what is the denominator in this equation? How many people participated in triathlons over this period?

I suppose it could be many hundreds of thousands. So this may be in the range of under a tenth of 1 percent. I wonder how this ranks up against deaths in adult basketball leagues (which can be brutally tough) or downhill skiing.

Again, all of these situations are tragic so don't get me wrong. But I worry that as triathlon becomes more popular there will be sensational press stories that try to tear the sport down. Many of you probably saw this Bloomberg story, which seemed pretty thinly researched:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-20/men-over-40-should-think-t...

Edited by halfironmike 2013-10-20 7:43 PM
2013-10-20 7:54 PM
in reply to: halfironmike

User image

Pro

Originally posted by halfironmike I'm no math whiz, but 44 swim deaths over the course of seven years doesn't seem like a huge number. I don't mean to minimize this (one death is obviously one too many) but what is the denominator in this equation? How many people participated in triathlons over this period? I suppose it could be many hundreds of thousands. So this may be in the range of under a tenth of 1 percent. I wonder how this ranks up against deaths in adult basketball leagues (which can be brutally tough) or downhill skiing. Again, all of these situations are tragic so don't get me wrong. But I worry that as triathlon becomes more popular there will be sensational press stories that try to tear the sport down. Many of you probably saw this Bloomberg story, which seemed pretty thinly researched: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-20/men-over-40-should-think-t...

Pretty much this ^^ for me.  I see it as a non-issue.  In fact, I'm willing to bet the number of deaths stay about the same despite efforts to "make it more safe".  People die....active people tend to die being active....the numbers stay the same.

2013-10-20 8:51 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by halfironmike I'm no math whiz, but 44 swim deaths over the course of seven years doesn't seem like a huge number. I don't mean to minimize this (one death is obviously one too many) but what is the denominator in this equation? How many people participated in triathlons over this period? I suppose it could be many hundreds of thousands. So this may be in the range of under a tenth of 1 percent. I wonder how this ranks up against deaths in adult basketball leagues (which can be brutally tough) or downhill skiing. Again, all of these situations are tragic so don't get me wrong. But I worry that as triathlon becomes more popular there will be sensational press stories that try to tear the sport down. Many of you probably saw this Bloomberg story, which seemed pretty thinly researched: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-20/men-over-40-should-think-t...

Pretty much this ^^ for me.  I see it as a non-issue.  In fact, I'm willing to bet the number of deaths stay about the same despite efforts to "make it more safe".  People die....active people tend to die being active....the numbers stay the same.

Agreed or x2 take your pick

I wonder how many people have died on the couch watching TV in the last year?

2013-10-21 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
In response to your observation about law suits, Americans (in general) are total weenies when it comes to personal responsibility for ones actions and the risks of living. It makes me sad.

Edited by La Tortuga 2013-10-21 7:18 AM
2013-10-21 9:59 AM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Interesting article for sure. Even more interesting is that two of my friends from my Tri Club are pictured in the IMLP swim start photo

2013-10-21 10:37 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
My honest take on it is this:

If athletes took the time to actually properly progress in the sport we would not have these issues. No need for the EKG and other 'tests' before racing.

1st season: Sprints only
2nd season: Sprints & Olympics
3rd season: Half Ironman
4th season: Entertain the idea of a full

You don't put a student driver in a Ferrari on the Autoban. Same concept.
2013-10-21 10:58 AM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Marvarnett My honest take on it is this: If athletes took the time to actually properly progress in the sport we would not have these issues. No need for the EKG and other 'tests' before racing. 1st season: Sprints only 2nd season: Sprints & Olympics 3rd season: Half Ironman 4th season: Entertain the idea of a full You don't put a student driver in a Ferrari on the Autoban. Same concept.

I agree with you. What is your opinion about athletes who are really strong in one particular sport? An example, I have 3 friends who are strong athletes but each in their own way and they all have their sites set on a HIM next June. One is a very experienced marathon runner - she just ran 3:02 in Chicago. Another is a strong swimmer, swam competitive in college and coaches the local swim team, the other owns a gym and has experience bike racing. All are solid, goal oriented, strong athletes but they have zero experience racing triathlon and have significant weaknesses (swimming being the weakness for 2 of them) in at least one of the other sports. 

They are going to do what they are going to do but I WISH they would see the sport as more than just a distance.

2013-10-21 11:05 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Marvarnett My honest take on it is this: If athletes took the time to actually properly progress in the sport we would not have these issues. No need for the EKG and other 'tests' before racing. 1st season: Sprints only 2nd season: Sprints & Olympics 3rd season: Half Ironman 4th season: Entertain the idea of a full You don't put a student driver in a Ferrari on the Autoban. Same concept.

Interesting take. That's pretty much the approach I took, except that I entertained the idea of IM before I ever did my first tri. Then I built towards that distance over 4 years. Had some bad swim experiences early on, especially in my first race, but by the time I got to IM I was good to go.

2013-10-21 11:23 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
At the American College of Cardiology 2009 Scientific Sessions, cardiologist Dr. Kevin Harris and his colleagues presented a study in which they determined competing in triathlons to be more dangerous than running marathons. They found that 1.5 sudden deaths occur for every 100,000 participants in triathlons. “Comparatively, a study by Dr Donald Redelmeier (University of Toronto, ON) of more than three million marathon runners showed the rate of sudden cardiac death to be 0.8/100 000 participants.”

What causes death among marathon runners? Coach Joe English of Portland, Ore., identified four major circumstances, which he discusses in depth on his blog. These are: “heart disease in runners over 35 years; genetic heart defects in runners under 35; hyponatremia or low blood sodium levels; and heat related illnesses, such as heat stroke.”

According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2006, 13.10 cars out of 100,000 ended up in fatal crashes. The rate for motorcycles is 72.34 per 100,000 registered motorcycles.

Greater risk driving to your event then taking part in it.
2013-10-21 11:36 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by halfironmike

I'm no math whiz, but 44 swim deaths over the course of seven years doesn't seem like a huge number. I don't mean to minimize this (one death is obviously one too many) but what is the denominator in this equation? How many people participated in triathlons over this period?

I suppose it could be many hundreds of thousands. So this may be in the range of under a tenth of 1 percent. I wonder how this ranks up against deaths in adult basketball leagues (which can be brutally tough) or downhill skiing.

Again, all of these situations are tragic so don't get me wrong. But I worry that as triathlon becomes more popular there will be sensational press stories that try to tear the sport down. Many of you probably saw this Bloomberg story, which seemed pretty thinly researched:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-20/men-over-40-should-think-t...

I think the issue is when you compare it to marathon deaths which are at a much lower rate
the concerns are of what is going on in the swim and can we do anything to help mitigate the risk - which I do not think is unreasonable.
will I stop? no
do I understand the risks? yes

2013-10-21 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I agree with the progress of building into the sport.

Yet some of the deaths in tri swims have been experienced triathletes (last year at AG National for example) not newbies doing a race perhaps over their ability/experience.

2013-10-21 11:54 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Originally posted by badmo77a

At the American College of Cardiology 2009 Scientific Sessions, cardiologist Dr. Kevin Harris and his colleagues presented a study in which they determined competing in triathlons to be more dangerous than running marathons. They found that 1.5 sudden deaths occur for every 100,000 participants in triathlons.

It's good to see some actual data here. Thanks for sharing. Does anyone know of comparable info on basketball, tennis, skydiving or other sports? It would be great to find out the comparative numbers.

Having said all this, I definitely understand why the swim can be particularly troublesome for some people. It's probably the weakest sport for most triathletes, and swimming laps in a pool is not sufficient preparation for the unmitigated chaos of an OWS. I'm lucky -- my brother was about my age growing up and we spent most of our summers wrestling and trying to drown each other at the local community pool. That kind of rough-housing in the water came in useful when I got into this sport.

2013-10-21 12:05 PM

User image

Pro

you would think that Tri's are a lot safer than my other sport

<<<------------ (see avatar)

but I've had a lot more "holy $hit I almost died" experiences while cycling (including recently during a race), than I do flying.

2013-10-21 12:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-10-21 12:33 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Outside the Lines Article on Triathlon Swimming Deaths Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Upcoming Outside the Lines special on swim deaths in triathlon

Started by rdailey1
Views: 2806 Posts: 17

2013-10-22 9:09 PM Stuartap

Triathlon related deaths article by cardiologist

Started by texasgrrl
Views: 1934 Posts: 9

2012-09-13 2:45 PM erik.norgaard

Swim deaths article and preventative measures

Started by Socks
Views: 624 Posts: 1

2012-03-12 8:28 AM Socks

Outside Magazine's Erin Beresini on Triathlon Swim Deaths.

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 3752 Posts: 20

2011-10-11 5:17 PM Tom Demerly.

Article about swim deaths

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1109 Posts: 6

2008-10-21 9:52 AM kagoscuba
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2009
author : runrgrl2007
comments : 7
One slight problem. I don't know how to swim at all. When I say 'at all', I don't even dog paddle because I am scared to death of water. But I am going to do this.

date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.
date : October 20, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 9
Twenty of the total 25 deaths associated with triathlons as recorded by USA Triathlon occurred during the swim portion of the events. So, what’s the deal with swimming?

date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
comments : 0
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”
date : July 9, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 3
What do you bring to the starting line? What are you going to leave on the course? What will you take with you across the finish line?

date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.