General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Solid food on the bike for IM... is there any value in having protein? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-23 1:54 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: Solid food on the bike for IM... is there any value in having protein?

I've done almost all of my training and racing all year with liquid nutrition (Perpetuem), but heading into my first IM, I'm thinking that I may want to supplement with some solid food, if nothing else to have to squelch any hunger pangs I may get in addition to the secondary calorie source.

I already have all of the basics covered - hydration, electrolytes/salts, and mostly calories, so I was wondering if there was any value in long course for using something like a protein bar as the solid food.  I'm thinking of something like a CliF Builders bar (20g protein).

I know - nothing new on race day, and it's too late at this stage to test it out on a training ride, hence asking here.  

2013-10-23 2:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Solid food on the bike for IM... is there any value in having protein?

Protein tends to be better at quelling 'hunger pangs'.  But, otherwise, there is no value to using protein (or solids, at all).  Carbs are your 'need'.

Edit:  BTW, Perpetuem has protein.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2013-10-23 2:04 PM
2013-10-23 2:08 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Solid food on the bike for IM... is there any value in having protein?

Groovy, thanks!

I suppose I can bring one along just in case I need to get the belly to shut up, otherwise, I won't worry about it.

2013-10-23 3:11 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Keep in mind that solid food takes longer to digest and requires more blood circulated to the digestives system to digest. This is blood that is taken away from the muscular system and thus you will not deliver as much fresh oxygen to working muscles. Just some food for thought.
2013-10-24 5:31 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
I've done primarily solid fuel for both of my IM's and that usually includes some protein. I eat a range of food, breakfast bars, granola bars, cheese crackers, payday candy bars. It can be nice to have something "not sweet" with you. With the range, I'll pick what I want to eat at the time and not worry too much whether it's primarily carbs or primarily protein.
2013-10-24 7:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
I ate all sorts of things on the bike in IM that I hadn't trained with. But I had trained with solid foods ie power bars.I get hungry riding and eat solid food to stop the hunger. That said, I kept it to liquid and gels on the run.

2013-10-24 8:28 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by bcagle25 Keep in mind that solid food takes longer to digest and requires more blood circulated to the digestives system to digest. This is blood that is taken away from the muscular system and thus you will not deliver as much fresh oxygen to working muscles. Just some food for thought.

To add to Ben's comment... protein is also tougher to digest.  Solid food with a lot of protein is going to require more digestion than liquid intake.  That stated, your pacing at the IM distance should allow for better absorption and digestion as you're not working as hard as you would at a shorter distance.  Try it in training and see if it works.  Also know that what works in training doesn't always work on race day.

A PB&J might work okay.  Drinking a protein shake would not.

2013-10-24 8:38 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Two ideas: 1. Amrita Bars. 2. Muscle Pharm Protein Gels.

The bars if you want whole food. They're made from all natural ingredients....some protein and carbs....I was introduced to them by another member and I really like them.

The gels are all protein...only 110 calories so it won't sit in your stomach but it may help if hunger pangs are your concern.
2013-10-24 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4883170

User image

New user

Orlando
I have done two IM races. During both I for the most part just consumed fluids and shot blocks and never really felt hungry. There were usually bonk breakers or some solid bars handed out on the bike, but I usually saved those for the walk...I mean run.
2013-10-24 8:56 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

Connecticut
Originally posted by medeiros13

Two ideas: 1. Amrita Bars. 2. Muscle Pharm Protein Gels.

The bars if you want whole food. They're made from all natural ingredients....some protein and carbs....I was introduced to them by another member and I really like them.

The gels are all protein...only 110 calories so it won't sit in your stomach but it may help if hunger pangs are your concern.

I use Amrita bars on the bike almost exclusively; so far it is the only food source I found that delivers energy without upsetting my stomach. Each bar has about 220 calories so I don’t need as many of them as I do gels. The mix of carbs and protein seem to work well for me.
2013-10-24 10:09 AM
in reply to: Dfw123

User image

Extreme Veteran
I use Larabars. Coconut Pie is my fav.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Solid food on the bike for IM... is there any value in having protein? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Having Trouble Kicking Junk Food?

Started by SevenZulu
Views: 1962 Posts: 25

2010-03-30 3:10 PM GLC1968

Am I having delusions of grandeur? Pages: 1 2

Started by acumenjay
Views: 3512 Posts: 38

2009-06-03 3:55 PM Baowolf

food, food, food...diet, diet, diet Pages: 1 2

Started by montyb49
Views: 3072 Posts: 30

2006-11-16 9:19 AM tkbslc

I am having some swimming issues...help, please.

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 1542 Posts: 8

2005-01-11 10:27 AM kepola

Well I am having some trouble!!

Started by royj
Views: 930 Posts: 3

2004-05-30 1:18 AM royj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : April 29, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Should triathletes consume more grams of protein than the usual formula, since they are exercising more?
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : December 15, 2008
Learn about the risks of protein underconsumption, eggs and your eyes and the differences between organic foods vs 'regular' foods.
date : November 16, 2008
Learn more about protein intake, iron, post exercise food, recovering with carbs and protein, rest days, fluids and sodium.

date : September 12, 2007
This article on protein supplements answers your questions as to the relevance of protein shakes, refueling after workouts and designer protein versus natural sources.
date : June 14, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 4
Solid nutrition principles for those not wanting to put a lot of thought into eating healthy.

date : November 14, 2004
In this day and age of energy bars, protein powders and weight gain shakes, many athletes forget about “real" foods such as peanut butter. Peanut butter is perhaps the best sport food around.