General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Making Sense of Power Numbers - NP, IF, TSS etc Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-23 7:47 PM

User image

Los Gatos
Subject: Making Sense of Power Numbers - NP, IF, TSS etc

I've been considering making the investment in a power meter but before I spend the money, I've borrowed a friends PowerTap wheel, just to get a feel for what power might do for me.

I took it out for my first ride this afternoon and I now have a whole pile of new metrics to analyze - power, normalized power, intensity factor, training stress score....

Two questions:

a) what are the key metrics I want to be displaying on my Garmin *during* my ride?

b) what the the key metrics to analyze *after* the ride?

By the way, I do have an estimate of my FTP (measured using TrainerRoad "virtual power" on my trainer) so my IF and TSS numbers should be somewhat meaningful.

Thanks,
SM

2013-10-23 8:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Making Sense of Power Numbers - NP, IF, TSS etc
This is a really loaded question so ill keep my answer short and let you respond with what else you want to know.

During the ride this is what I have on my display:
Time
Avg Watts (3sec)
Normalized Power
Lap Power
Cadence
Distance
Grade (only to know if I am on a false flat)

I look at my AVG, NP, and lap power the most and glances at cadence some to make sure I am not fatiguing.

After the ride I look at everything during my intervals, but when racing I focus on VI, and certain amounts of peak power over time.

If I am riding a course where it matters I will check in my watts/kg every once in a while, but that number isn't important to all courses.

There is A LOT of data in power meters to analyze, but don't get caught up in analyzing every ride, its really not needed. I would analyze your key sessions and maybe longer rides to see how consistently you ride. Find the data points that have meaning and you understand really what they mean and signify throughout the ride. Races look at the whole shebang.

If you have some free time and want reading material get "Training and Racing with a Powermeter" its the equivalent of a semester long class in college for power meters if one such existed.

EDIT: I don't look at TSS scores too much as everyone's bodies handle those stresses differently and the numerical values given can have different impacts on every individual IMO.

Edited by bcagle25 2013-10-23 8:44 PM
2013-10-23 8:30 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Champion
MA

Read all you can including a couple of power books for triathletes before you invest in a PM otherwise you have an expensive bike computer.

I usually have three screens that I have set to scroll through with 3 or 4 lines per display.

PM helps you be honest in training to push hard in your hard intervals and to keep it checked back  when doing easy work. Another key it helps is to learn pacing by learning to keep your vi lower.

PM will help you learn to work hard and make solid gains on trainer over winter if you aren't able to ride outside all year.

2013-10-23 8:30 PM
in reply to: smallard

User image

Training peaks website has some articles you may want to check out. Reading one of the power books goes into more details, but you can sort of get the jist of it by reading some of these. Scroll down to the cycling articles and you'll see some of the power related ones there.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles.aspx
2013-10-23 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

a) I'm not sure what you want to display, but powerwise i show 3s average power and normalized power(group rides) average power(solo efforts).  i also show the grade since false flats can kill your ego...

b) as of right now nothing.  you need to ride with a meter for at least a month or two just gathering data before the numbers even mean anything to you.  right now you have nothing to compare the data from your ride to, so looking at it means nothing.  I use golden cheetah for my analysis and it works pretty well.  i would also recommend getting a copy of "Training and Racing with a Power Meter"; it goes over everything you may ever want to know.

2013-10-23 9:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
These days I display very few metrics during a race, but I analyze several. If you ride smoothly many metrics are redundant during a ride so no need to display during the actual race.

Here's what I display and analyze after

Display:
3s rolling average
Average lap power (set to manual lap)
Elapsed time
(I don't display anything else during the race)

Analyze after a race
NP, VI, TSS, others depending on interest level at the time (quadrant analysis etc)

Analyze at various times during the season
TSS (pretty regularly), IF (when planning training sessions), Cadence (once in a very long while I will take a look at this)

2013-10-23 11:25 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
1. During the ride is a personal choice depending on your priorities. I always have my 3sec average power and cadence displayed on my 910xt. I use my power zones for training so I like to know where I'm at with just a glance.

2. After the ride can be a bit more complicated. One of the best resources is the book 'Training and Racing with a Power Meter' by Dr. Coggan and Hunter Allen. It's more based on straight cycling but most things apply to everyone and there are a few chapters specifically for triathletes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Making Sense of Power Numbers - NP, IF, TSS etc Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Makes sense of LT test data?

Started by chris-alfonso
Views: 790 Posts: 7

2011-11-27 7:43 PM colinphillips

power meter question: how do to use TSS?

Started by trix
Views: 2769 Posts: 5

2010-08-11 10:51 AM JorgeM

Sometimes my body makes no sense...

Started by dgunthert
Views: 700 Posts: 4

2009-08-31 11:06 AM dgunthert

10K PR, and making sense of latest LT test Pages: 1 2

Started by bshehan
Views: 2087 Posts: 26

2007-08-08 2:35 PM JohnnyKay

Experts on HR/LT chime in and make sense of my numbers

Started by The Beast
Views: 797 Posts: 3

2006-05-07 7:07 PM The Beast
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.
date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?