General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf pain 2 days before half ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-25 10:21 AM

Subject: Calf pain 2 days before half ironman
Hi guys.

I got very scared yesterday while I am registered for the Miami Ironman 70.3 in 2 days.

Yesterday I felt some pain similar to a know in my calf and asked somebody to massage it. When he pressed on the knots I felt some pain, but a lot less than how it feels when rolling the muscle. However, after a couple of minutes after he finished it, I started to feel the pain dissipated into a larger area (without feeling the knot anymore, but the pain was stronger). Yesterday evening was really bad; it was hurting even when I was just trying to walk. Now, in the morning it feels better: doesn't hurt that much to stretch it and I can walk, but it still hurts.

I don't even want to consider not participating at the race. It would be very helpful to get some advice about how to quickly recover from this pain. I spent a lot of time on the web, but the advices are so different and I don't really know whom to believe. (should I rest or should I go for a short relaxing run?; hot water or ice?, what kind of food should I eat?).

Mentions:
- I did have a calf strain at the end of July (when I changed my shoes), but haven't had it ever since the beginning of August when I took a week of. I did roll my muscles to get rid of the knots at that time, but now my friend just pressed with his fingers on the knot and as I said, even though the pain at the time of pressing was smaller, it hurts very badly now.
- I haven't had any very intense training in 3 weeks so I don't understand how that thing appeared in my calf.

Thank you very much in advance

Edited by lpavel 2013-10-25 10:22 AM

2013-10-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: lpavel

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
Subject: RE: Calf pain 2 days before half ironman

Honestly, that's how I feel after a fairly deep massage -- point pain/knots are gone but a general soreness/stiffness remains. For me it usually lasts only a day.

If it were me, I'd skip running and riding, and go with compression (compression calf sleeves if you have them. or maybe ace bandages if you dont have sleeves). And *gentle* calf stretching every few hours. No extended sitting -- get up and walk a bit. All these things will get blood moving to promote healing without causing further trauma.

Good luck at your race!
2013-10-25 1:34 PM
in reply to: rockymtnhigh

Thank you very much!
2013-10-25 8:49 PM
in reply to: rockymtnhigh

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Sounds like a calf pull. Your HIM may well suck. I would plan on going out very lite on the bike and plan on walk or run walk on the run. It usually takes 6 weeks for a calf pull to recover with only walking and liter spinning on the bike, don't push off the wall hard on swim. Then start with walk/jog for the next month then usually good to go 10 weeks later. Ya it sucks. I am there right now at week 5. That said I will walk 20 miles a week with a calf pull if I can walk without pain. If their is pain, that is causing damage and extending the recovery period.
2013-10-28 5:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

How did it go?
2013-10-28 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4884464

My calf hurt until the morning of the race when it felt perfectly. What I saw helped a lot was aspirin. I finished the ironman in 6 hours 30 mins (it was my first triathlon of any kind) and I feel very happy.... Even though my body is still in a lot of pain.

2013-10-28 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
Originally posted by lpavel

My calf hurt until the morning of the race when it felt perfectly. What I saw helped a lot was aspirin. I finished the ironman in 6 hours 30 mins (it was my first triathlon of any kind) and I feel very happy.... Even though my body is still in a lot of pain.

But its a good pain!

Congrats on a solid race.
2013-10-31 6:14 AM

User image

I'm guessing this is your first long distance tri.

I've come to consider stuff like this "normal" for me. A couple/few days before the race I can barely walk some times, then the day of I feel better than I have in months.

Add that to the taper PMS and it makes for a wonderful week prior to the race

Congrats on your race!

2013-11-04 3:57 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
If you used aspirin as a pain reliever that's one thing, but if you used it (unknowingly) as a blood thinner you might have a condition that you would want looked at. I've never had 'em, but varicose veins in the calf are not uncommon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf pain 2 days before half ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Favorite Ironman/Half-Ironman Course

Started by slowfatbeginner
Views: 10023 Posts: 22

2011-12-10 9:20 PM MUSKOKAFIVEOH

Half-Ironman/Ironman Recovery

Started by chasingkona
Views: 4166 Posts: 7

2009-09-19 6:15 PM KathyG

Half Ironman and Ironman Nutrition

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1332 Posts: 6

2007-05-03 8:56 AM KathyG

marathon and half-ironman (or Ironman)

Started by Butcher
Views: 1278 Posts: 5

2007-01-05 9:25 AM Butcher

RECOVERY from Half Ironman/Ironman

Started by gammy999
Views: 1261 Posts: 4

2005-09-13 11:28 AM Hudnick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Deep calf pain can be a tricky problem to deal with, and it’s appropriate that you are paying attention to this pain before it becomes a more debilitating injury.

date : August 5, 2010
comments : 4
Calf pain can have multiple causes. In your case, the most likely cause seems to be from a calf muscle strain. If you have had Achilles problems you can be predisposed to a calf injury.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : January 5, 2009
I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.