General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quinoa - Saponin ... anyone else have reaction? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-27 9:29 AM

User image

Pro
NJ
Subject: Quinoa - Saponin ... anyone else have reaction?

For the second time in recent months I've had an apparent reaction to quinoa. Now these weren't controlled experiments so I may be unfairly blaming quinoa but it was the one consistent item in both meals. In each case, I became quite ill within 4 hours. I attributed the first incident to simple food poisoning. Now I've had 2 occurrences. A little bit of internet research suggests that the culprit may be saponin, a naturally occurring substance on the grain/seed. Quinoa should be washed to remove saponin, which I do routinely at home. In the cases where I became ill the food was prepared by others. I haven't asked my hosts if they washed the quinoa in the prep process. 

So my question is..has anyone else experienced this? If so, have you been able to eat quinoa again after a reaction? The little I've found on the internet suggests that once the allergic response is triggered you're at high risk for future reactions. In my case, it wasn't a systemic histamine type reaction but rather a GI response. Heavy nausea and vomiting. I'm not keen to repeat the experience. 

2013-10-28 1:23 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: Quinoa - Saponin ... anyone else have reaction?

Yes, I have a history of GI distress associated with quinoa.  Oddly, I ate it for several years with no issues.  Then one day out of the blue, I had with a meal and got horrible sharp pains in the tummy for several hours.  No naseau or vomiting, just a very bad churning in my stomach that felt like a stabbing pain.

Like you, I experimented to make sure it was the quinoa.  After I decided that was the culprit, I stopped eating it.  I even had problems months later when I accidentally ate it in a 10 grain hot cereal without realizing.  Sure enough, those same strange sharp tummy pains occurred, I looked more closely at the package and there was quinoa as one of the ten grains.

That was about ten years ago and I've been too afraid to try it again.  I hadn't heard of Saponin.  I'm pretty sure I was thoroughly washing mine but it was ten years ago.  Maybe if I'll get brave enough to try to again after being totally sure it's washed to see what happens.

2017-06-20 11:54 PM
in reply to: #4885465

Subject: RE: Quinoa - Saponin ... anyone else have reaction?
yes. heavy nausea, gas, sore stomach- no vomiting though. Twice in last week. quinoa the common factor. leaving it well alone now! Thanks for your post. thought I was going mad!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quinoa - Saponin ... anyone else have reaction? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Quinoa

Started by sdanaher
Views: 2120 Posts: 12

2009-03-07 8:09 PM rowdypaint

Quinoa Pages: 1 2

Started by lisac957
Views: 4046 Posts: 27

2008-12-16 5:55 PM Comet

Quinoa

Started by NightOwl
Views: 3335 Posts: 15