General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-28 11:30 PM

Subject: IM nutrition
Well I've had some experience in the past with nutrition for long races but was never really able to get it down real good. I was thinking that for next year's Ironman I want to rely primarily on liquid nutrition supplemented by some gels and solid food on the bike ride. While on the run I know I'll only be able to tolerate drinks based on my experiences. I've been thinking about using infinit nutrition for my primary fuel on the ride. How has it worked for my fellow IM athletes and how does this general plan sound going into my winter training? I know throughout the year I'll have to experiment with my nutrition to some extent.

2013-10-29 8:52 AM
in reply to: Trigirl91

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: IM nutrition

I've used Infinit for years - both the HIM and IM distances. The pros are that it's easy and simple, customized to you and your needs (so easy on the stomach for most folks), and is able to be concentrated. So instead of carrying 6, one-hour bottles for a long ride, you can carry 2, three-hour bottles just by increasing the powder to water ratio. 

The cons are that it's a little pricey (if you can, wait to buy when they have their off-season 40% off sale) and can get a little boring. I find myself on rides longer than 5 hours needing a different taste in my mouth, so will bring along a Payday candy bar or Sports Beans or a gel with a completely different flavor.

I typically don't start using it until workouts hit the 3-hour mark but you could definitely test it out on shorter stuff. I've never used it on the run but I know others have - again you might need a back up as I've read about people just getting sick of the taste after 10 hours of nothing but the same drink.

2013-10-30 11:09 AM
in reply to: Trigirl91

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
i second the use of infinit
i have a formula for both the run and bike.
great customer service and PM if you need a coupon code

2013-11-04 3:09 PM
in reply to: cxk9758

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by cxk9758 i second the use of infinit i have a formula for both the run and bike. great customer service and PM if you need a coupon code

How do you arrive at what formula works for you?

PM sent

2013-11-20 2:00 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I used infinit last month for my first HIM and loved it. Sat really well in my stomach and loved the tast.

In reference to the concentrated bottles- I would test this out in training first. I think my flavor profile is a little too high because I tried to concentrate a 3 hr bottle into a 20oz bottle and it was just nasty! for my HIM, I made (2) 1 1/2 hour bottles and will likely do that for my IM and refill at Special Needs with Powder.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM nutrition Rss Feed