General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing an indoor trainer... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-29 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: Choosing an indoor trainer...

So.... a timely question given the Northern Hemisphere is heading into winter. What are the factors one should consider in choosing an indoor trainer? What do you like or not like about the trainer you use? Is there a better trainer for longer distance training (ie Ironman or HIM)?

For those who use Trainerroad (which I highly recommend), is there a specific program that is good for Ironman build? How about just base building over the winter for a late summer or early fall "A" race?

I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine which I love. stable, indestructible. I've also purchased the Sufferfest videos to play along. They provide plenty of intensity, and I often play them at 90% power to try to keep my HR down into Z2. As the winter progresses, I will punch it back to 100% to try to push up the FTP, then back down to longer aerobic efforts in the spring. For the early winter I plan to cycle through the winter maintenance plans (with Jorge's winter plan for the cycling-focused block). Beginning in late April I'll start the 20 week intermediate IM plan and hope that the snow is gone this year.

2013-10-30 5:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Choosing an indoor trainer...

I think your setup is about as good as it gets, without spending the money on a real (vs. virtual) power meter.  I have the exact same setup (KK, TR, and Sufferfest).

As for training plans to build out to IM distance...not sure.  However, you can't go wrong with Jorge's off season plan to work on your FTP.  The intermediate IM plan is a good one but for your sanity I sure hope the snow melts!

Edited by jmhpsu93 2013-10-30 5:37 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing an indoor trainer... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Choose my trainer setup!

Started by csikes
Views: 1996 Posts: 17

2012-10-13 9:37 AM bart123

Bike trainer- need help choosing one

Started by hollyhampton
Views: 899 Posts: 7

2011-11-14 1:59 PM JollyRoger

Choosing A Bike Trainer

Started by DiOnMaui
Views: 1904 Posts: 11

2010-11-16 11:16 AM DiOnMaui

Bored on my indoor trainer

Started by crazylegs
Views: 1398 Posts: 22

2005-05-09 1:33 PM clflgrl

Indoor bike trainer around $300+/- any suggestions?

Started by sp1173
Views: 912 Posts: 8

2004-10-11 9:49 AM sp1173
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
With a hectic schedule and the desire to throw in other forms of exercise, I went from following one of the training programs to doing my own. Would it be better to follow a training plan?

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.