Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Challenge Penticton Half... Who's in... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-07 11:40 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Challenge Penticton Half... Who's in...
So, how did the day go for those of you in Penticton? I heard the weather was ... challenging

2015-09-07 12:17 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by triosaurus

So, how did the day go for those of you in Penticton? I heard the weather was ... challenging

It sure was!!

Swim was great, nice calm water. The water on nearby skaha lake did not look NEARLY as forgiving though, so glad it was in okanagan lake!

T1 went well, started biking RIGHT into a fierce headwind, and there were 40 full distance and 380 some half distance athletes already on the road ( half distance started 30 minutes after the full ) as well as the pros, but I wasn't worried about them.

All I did for over an hour at the start of the race was try to stay left as I passed what seemed like a parking lot of people. How the half distance athletes could be expected not to be in the drafting zone, your guess is as good as mine, so I just kept passing to make sure I wasn't in anyone's for 20 seconds, though to be honest a few people were making it tough with having 3-4 athletes wide, and some RIGHT ON the yellow line, not making any passing progress either :p

Once the half distance route turned off, around 35k in, things got a lot more quiet.

We had a hard headwind for the first 56k or so til the turn for richter pass, had a little help on richter pass, but before you knew it, headwind again. Must have been there for 1/2 to 2/3 of the race.

We had the skies open up a few times with rain, we got hail, I heard reports of thinger and lightning, but was too distracted by the stinging hail to notice.

One area where were were doing a bunch of technical descending on crap roads ( white lake ) was when I saw the worst of the rain, making the visibility much more poor as it was getting all over my visor.

Turns out I'd biked my way into 5th, and one guy I had passed managed to pass me back when we hit some more climbing. ( didn't matter, I knew he'd outrun me anyways )

The run, things got warmer, hot even at a few points. Lots of people passed me as expected. I didn't go too hard on the bike, in fact my plan went REALLY well, I just biked for longer than planned cause of the conditions, but stayed at the planned heart rate of 150-155, with a 153 average.

First half of the marathon was going pretty well for me, had a 2:10 split, but at this point I had a SLIGHT bit of tightness in the stomach, so I had to stop eating from aid stations, cause I knew what that meant.

This meant I lost more time as well, and missing the stations cost me bigtime in terms of energy. I was taking more walk breaks ( instead of just the aid stations ) to try to mitigate the damage, but I faded fast and hard, and 6k out I thought my race was over. Also, as soon as I tried to jog up a slight incline, me achilles felt like they were starting to cramp, so that was a walk moment too.

3.5k out I felt done, 30 seconds breaks were over, I was deathmarching, a good long 5-6 minutes straight, calculating how long it would take to finish at that pace.

Turns out it's just what I needed, light headedness cleared up, and I actually was able to run the last 3k not only without stopping, but did 3 of the fastest kms of the entire marathon.

Total time: 11:56:46

Swim 1:11:04

Bike 5:54:55 ( More like 5:48:something as this included both T1 and T2 times for some reason, which according to my garmin totalled about 7 1/2 minutes since I had to pee coming off the bike, and wasn't fast enough to pee myself )

Run: 4:50:48

Considering the fact that I had only trained the run to the point of the half marathon, and had a half marathon PR 5 weeks out, only managing a single 20 mile run after that, since I only DECIDED to do the full distance race 6 weeks out, and averaging 3-8 hours a week, only doing more volume for about 3 weeks before the race taper, I feel like I did pretty darn well for my first Iron Distance race, and I stepped up from just a sprint at the beginning of this year! :D

Sept 3rd I had to see the orthopedic surgeon about my leg hardware ( I've got 2 titanium rods on my leg from a femoral neck fractude requiring hip surgery to insert the rods to repair it ) and the hardware is all coming out this winter!!

Hope I can recover quickly and start next season strong!
2015-09-07 9:29 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Nicely done, Dustin.
It looks like you had a great day, and have managed to overcome the injuries that you've been dealing with.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Challenge Penticton Half... Who's in... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Challenge Penticton 2013 Who's in!?! Pages: 1 2

Started by dfquigley
Views: 6358 Posts: 32

2013-08-30 8:34 AM RunnyBunny

Good place to stay in Penticton.

Started by AndrewYak
Views: 1637 Posts: 6

2010-02-07 11:21 PM kari16

Anyone doing Penticton Peach Classic Triathlon?

Started by mararunner
Views: 870 Posts: 3

2009-07-17 9:17 AM mommytriz

First Half - Who's in?

Started by airborne
Views: 914 Posts: 6

2007-11-05 1:28 PM jeng

Penticton Peach Classic

Started by DerekWL
Views: 921 Posts: 2

2007-06-09 2:33 PM Vaiza
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.