World Triathlon Corporation/Miami Tri Events
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 06m 21s
Overall Rank = 420/3133
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 54/335
Pre-race routine:

Although Canada was my "A" race, and this would make for a long season (started at Oceanside in March), I added this race mostly to have fun racing with friends and to see a few folks that had moved to or lived in Miami that I hadn't seen in a while.

Would also be the first race on the new BMC bike.

Had a secret goal of going sub 5, but premier purpose was just to have fun. I thought it would be too hot for me to go very fast, so wanted to take all the pressure off of my performance.

Flew in early Friday, stayed at the Intercontinental right at the race site. Checked in, picked up bike from tri bike transport and then headed to Garcia's on the river for dinner with some old dear friends.

Saturday was mostly a relaxation day, check in the bike, walk around the expo a bit, and just get ready for tomorrow. It was our first trip to Miami, would have been nice to see a little more of the city, but maybe next time. From the transition area seemed like a VERY crowded race, and it was. 3100 people. Probably the biggest tri I've been in.
Event warmup:

Nothing, Nada. Got up early and hit starbucks in the lobby. Just sat chilling before heading over to transition to drop off the run gear. Because we were so close, and my wave was not until after 8, had time to hang out with friends and then go back to the hotel again.
Swim
  • 30m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had no idea what to expect from this swim. I figured it would not be wetsuit legal like last year, and decided against buying a speedsuit since I basically don't do non-wetsuit legal races. So I'd be racing in my tri bibs and tri top. They're tight, but now skin tight, so I would be paying a penalty.

Like Oceanside, there is no warm up other than the 3 minutes between waves. I jumped in and got to the front, didn't even bother with swimming around at all. Simple triangle course marked by orange and yellow buoys, two sets marked 1 through 8.

Took off at the gun and other than some incidental contact it was pretty clean. Soon enough we were onto prior waves, and lots of folks were right on the buoy line. Rather than fighting it, I decided to just take an outside line and swim to the left. Added a little distance, but no biggie. Lots of sea grass on the far side of the course, but I am used to hitting much thicker kelp, so I just swam over it.

Held my typical HIM/Oly pace, just tried to maintain a consistent strong pace throughout. Never really got tired. Soon enough, I made the third turn and headed for home. Getting out of the water, I couldn't see the clock, and I was not wearing the garmin in the water, so I had no idea what my swim time was.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. For a Non ws swim I am happy with it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

Long run from the swim exit to T1. 3:00 or so seems to be average. Not having a wetsuit to deal with is quite nice.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 26m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Simple out and back course. first 5-8 miles through downtown Miami, some sketchy road surfaces and three railroad crossings, only two of which (?) were covered. Then a straight northwest leg and a straight north leg, return. Would be head/cross wind going out, tail/cross wind coming back.

Settled into the planned power. Basically easy for 10 minutes, then 220-230 or if feeling good 225-235. If windy, could up it 5 more watts. On the way out, had the garmin lapping every five miles and hitting consistent 13 minutes, sometimes 12s.

I had heard stories of Florida drafting, and it was sure there. I never had much problem with it though, as I was traveling at a decent 22 mph clip and passing tons of people, legally slingshotting around them. The drafters got in y head in Canada, not sure why, so decided that I wouldn't let the here. Did a pretty good job, except once. I really don't like people drafting off of me. Came up on 2 guys that were on very nice bikes, clearly working together. Came around them but not fast enough, sure enough 300 yds or so looked back and there they were. I sat up, pulled over, and as a stereotypical Californian said "don't fucking draft off me dude!" No comment, just a look. Problem was, now I was behind them, but still faster.

So, smart guy I am, I drop back to a legal distance, drop the cassette into the 53/12 and hammer for all I am worth around them, rightly figuring they were too lazy to speed up and latch on. After a couple minutes they were far in the rear view, but that cost me. Power files show a 500+ watt spike there. Whoops...... Took me a couple minutes to recover and get the heart rate down from 155 back to 148.

Hit the turnaround at the 1:13 mark, which surprised me, and had the tailwind for a good 5-8 miles, cruising at 26 mph +. Turned left towards town and it appeared that the winds had shifted a bit, more of a headwind than a tailwind. About 50 miles in passed my friend Chris that had started a half hour ahead of me, so I knew it was a good day.

Coming back into town I realized I would be under 2:30. Previous best HIM bike was 2:47 this spring at Oceanside, so it was a great ride. I don't feel like I ovderbiked. I knew, however, that hitting the planned run paces would be tough, since it was getting hot, and had already decided to be a little more conservative.

It was such a good bike for me I actually gained AG spots from the swim (my strength) to bike. That's only ever happened once before, and that was n Oly that I absolutely hammered the bike as I was injured and didn't care much about the run. Never in a long course or race I was doing semi seriously before.

Nutrition was about 450 cals of Infinit and one gel

actual 18th AG
AP 218, NP 222, VI 1.02

Not much
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Came into T2 and saw not all that many bikes there.
Run
  • 2h 03m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Plan for the run was start out about 8:50 and negative split form there as the miles went by. I wasn't sure I could do that, it was hot, I was tired. But ran the first mile right on at 8:47. Then hit the first causeway climb, we would do 4X Pace dropped to 9:20. OK, so re-evaluate. I can hammer to try to hit my gal paces which I know I won't make, or I can find a pace that will allow me to run the entire thing without starting the walks, even on the hills. I figured I would probably get a better time that way

I was carrying a hand bottle to avoid dehydration like in Canada, and at every aid station had them put water and ice in there. It worked great. I was going to take gels from the aid stations, but it was so hot I couldn't stomach the idea. I just lived off water and coke on the course. Seemed to work ok, although I was starving about an hour after finishing.

Met the goal of not walking the run at all other than aid stations, even when that was all I wanted to do. Especially the last climb. I was soaking wet as I had been pouring water on my head and arms. I wore de soto arm coolers that seemed to help with the bit of a breeze,. Thought of taking the shoulders off the tri bib top, but never did

At the end of the first loop, about 10K in, I finally looked at the time, and saw I was 4:02 into the race. Giving me 58 minutes to go 7 miles. Nope. Not happening. So I stuck with the plan. I knew I just had to get over and back from the last bridge then it was all flat. Skipped the last two aid station and just ran as strong as I could for the last two miles.

actual 110th AG so not all that bad after all

I was 2:03, my fastest half mary run is 1:55. at Oceanside. So I am not disappointed with this run
Post race
Event comments:

Fun race, glad I did it. not sure I'd go back. Plenty of other races to do. But now I have the sub 5 fever! I didn't know my total time until about a half hour after finishing. 7 minutes... A speedsuit probably gets me a couple of those, maybe 1 or 2 on the bike, and 3-4 on the run? Maybe.... Definitely my 2014 goal

Last updated: 2013-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:34 | 2112 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/335
Overall: 141/3133
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:01
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:26:38 | 56 miles | 22.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/335
Overall: 140/3133
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:03:45 | 13.1 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 54/335
Overall: 420/3133
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-10-30 10:53 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Miami

2013-10-31 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4888764

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Miami
Great work Chris! Congratulations on a strong race!

Shane
2013-10-31 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Congrats, Chris! SBR Utopia had a good time following you (and Arend and Marc). I definitely see a sub-5 in your near future.

I assume the power numbers should have been more like 218/222, right? Nice work keeping that VI down, despite your 500W surge
2013-10-31 2:10 PM

User image

Great job Chris. Way to make the proper adjustments on the fly.
2013-10-31 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race

You are forgetting 1 detail. You were by far the best dressed guy on the course. I saw the pic of you and Arend.

I have no doubt sub 5 is well within reach.
2013-11-01 8:23 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario

Great job Chris - have to agree with Marc.  Sub 5 seems very, very achievable for you at this point.

2013-11-01 4:34 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Awesome race Chris!  It was great to meet you.

You have sub 5 in your near future for sure!

2013-11-04 1:36 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Great Job Chris and awesome time on the course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Miami Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Miami

Started by piperfl
Views: 2786 Posts: 9

2010-11-04 3:34 PM DavidCarr

Ironman 70.3 Miami

Started by trix
Views: 4247 Posts: 19

2010-11-02 8:59 AM trix

Ironman 70.3 Miami

Started by trirun26
Views: 3193 Posts: 13

2010-11-02 10:29 AM Boom808

Ironman 70.3 Miami

Started by jfdjrr
Views: 2058 Posts: 5

2010-11-01 6:58 PM TrkHilo2k

Ironman 70.3 Miami

Started by jimmy raybon
Views: 2770 Posts: 5

2010-11-01 10:11 AM piperfl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.