General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS Palm Springs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-31 6:19 PM

User image

Subject: HITS Palm Springs

In for the Oly.  Anyone else doing any of the distances?

2013-11-01 12:15 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: RE: HITS Palm Springs
Oly then doing the open with my daughter, can't wait! Are you coming in the day of or before Chris?
2013-11-01 11:11 AM
in reply to: cjhild

User image

Originally posted by cjhild Oly then doing the open with my daughter, can't wait! Are you coming in the day of or before Chris?

Yeah, need to stop at the outlets!       

2013-11-01 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by cjhild Oly then doing the open with my daughter, can't wait! Are you coming in the day of or before Chris?

Hopefully they have the parking structure done, parking has been worse than normal during construction.

You did Miami 70.3 right? Did you purchase or see in person the finisher jacket? Based on the pictures I don't think I like it. Thinking ahead a little early to the jacket for Silverman in 2014.
2013-11-01 12:29 PM

User image

Originally posted by cjhild

Hopefully they have the parking structure done, parking has been worse than normal during construction. You did Miami 70.3 right? Did you purchase or see in person the finisher jacket? Based on the pictures I don't think I like it. Thinking ahead a little early to the jacket for Silverman in 2014.

Didn't see the jacket.  MY wife went to the store and bought a hat for me while I was getting the bike stuff (no finisher's hat :^  ).  Based on that color, not sure I'd want a full jacket!   You can see the merch on the IM site now.   There is a decent finisher shirt that I am going to wait until it goes on discount. 

2013-11-04 4:10 PM

User image

I will be doing the 70.3. It's my first half distance race. Training has been going well but tweaked the knee last Sunday at the HB 10 mile run. So been laying off running for the past week.

2013-11-04 4:59 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by StevenC

I will be doing the 70.3. It's my first half distance race. Training has been going well but tweaked the knee last Sunday at the HB 10 mile run. So been laying off running for the past week.

I won't be out there Saturday, but good luck! I am hoping it won't be too cold on the weekend.
2013-11-04 5:23 PM

User image

thanks. I am also planning on doing the open on Sun with my 9 year old daughter. Do you think the water temp will be ok for 100m? She has a spring short suit but not ideal for swimming.
2013-11-04 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

thanks. I am also planning on doing the open on Sun with my 9 year old daughter. Do you think the water temp will be ok for 100m? She has a spring short suit but not ideal for swimming.

Awesome! I am glad to read that our girls are in different age groups otherwise I would not be sharing any information with you at all, lol. My daughter has outgrown her full wetsuit, we just ordered her a shorty. I decided that it would be best for her to use the shorty anyway. With all of the stress of her first race (open water swim, murky water, more people in the water at the start, etc) I feel it would be better for her to sacrifice a little warmth for the mobility the shorty will provide. I think they are going to freeze, but it's a short event, their adrenaline will be through the roof, and they will be having fun. I will have the blanket ready when she finishes. I usually feel a little restricted in my wetsuit and that is a bit of stress that I have to push through on race day.
2013-11-05 7:33 PM

Los Angeles
I'm doing the sprint; wanted to do the olympic one but this year was not that great in the time I had for training.

By the way, what hotel are you guys staying. I'm at the Embassy suites. How hard parking is in the morning of the race?
2013-11-06 11:59 AM
in reply to: Maui

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by Maui

I'm doing the sprint; wanted to do the olympic one but this year was not that great in the time I had for training.

By the way, what hotel are you guys staying. I'm at the Embassy suites. How hard parking is in the morning of the race?

I live in the area so I am not staying at a hotel. I have done the March race at the same location put on by Klein Clark. I have always arrived REALLY early, as soon as they start letting you in. The parking fills up and you just end up parking further away which can end up being some distance. I am usually there before 5:00 am for the 5:30 am packet pickup that Klein Clark does. I am a "get there early guy" and that has worked for me here. I have been the first or second car parked in the closest spot to transition each time I have raced there.

2013-11-06 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
I unfortunately am not doing this race this year. I took first in my AG last year for the open, and sucked at the Sprint earlier in the day.

This is a good race, and is fun, I am just burnt out after coaching soccer this year (for the first time).

Parking, I always get there early and have not had to park too far away. It is nice that each person has their own marked transition spot. I hope the water is not too cold for you guys.
2013-11-07 11:53 AM
in reply to: spjon25

User image

Eh, I have done 3-4 races at Cahuilla, never shown up particularly early, there is plenty of parking.   Yes, you may be around the lake a bit, but hop on the bike and it's less than 3-4 minutes...  I like to be able to hang at starbucks and enjoy my coffee... and use a nice clean loo

Especially true at HITS where you have an assigned area and don't need to show up early for a good spot.

2013-11-07 12:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Too early for a weather check? December 8th- 64 degrees, Rather cloudy
2013-11-07 12:05 PM

User image

Does anyone know if people will be able to leave the parking lot during the race on Sat? My family was going to watch me during the swim and onto bike and then leave for breakfast and find me out on the run course later. I don't want them to get stuck in the parking lot with no chance to get out.
2013-11-07 1:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by StevenCDoes anyone know if people will be able to leave the parking lot during the race on Sat? My family was going to watch me during the swim and onto bike and then leave for breakfast and find me out on the run course later. I don't want them to get stuck in the parking lot with no chance to get out.

For Sunday, I believe not until the run starts, and maybe not even then.  There is only one road in/out of the lake.  Saturday may be different for the hal/full though

Edited by ChrisM 2013-11-07 1:07 PM

2013-11-11 6:04 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
See you there, kids! I'm in for the sprint. The weather was perfect last year, so fingers crossed!
2013-11-13 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
The whole family was down this weekend with a stomach virus. I lost 3 pounds, vomiting, diarrhea, and painful stomach cramping. Had a great workout Friday and then it all went in the shitter...literally. Maybe an easy run tomorrow? Hope all of your training is going better than mine.
2013-11-13 4:54 PM

User image

sorry to hear that. like the quote goes, "only one stomach flu away from my ideal weight"

Hope you feel better. Got a great swim in today. Makes it easier when it's 85 degrees and sunny.
2013-11-14 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

sorry to hear that. like the quote goes, "only one stomach flu away from my ideal weight"

Excellent quote, I have been using it a lot over the last day around work and getting lots of laughs.

Hope you feel better. Got a great swim in today. Makes it easier when it's 85 degrees and sunny.

Thanks, I was still rocking the pity party yesterday. Short, easy run at lunch, may be able to get back to training soon!

The weather out here is crazy right now, 90 degrees yesterday and today at lunch time. If the weather holds to anything close to this we will have a very nice race weekend.
2013-11-15 11:59 AM

User image

Decided to head out Friday afternoon, gonna stay in Joshua Tree Friday and then drive through the park Saturday.  I've ridden the bike through there (and back), but never really got to just experience it.  Also want to do the tram.  And the outlets.  Although that was my wife's request last year I got some killer deals on running stuff at the Nike outlet.

2013-11-15 6:26 PM

User image

Glad you are doing better. We are heading out with whole family Friday around noon. Wife was just out there with friends so we can avoid the outlets. Joshua is such a great experience. I used to spend more time there years ago hiking and camping by myself and with friends. Would be great to do on bike as well.

Fighting IT band pain from long run last week. Doing a ton of stretching and foam rolling. Saw my PT guy today and we did some ART massage as well. He thinks he can get me to a good place in the next few weeks. Going to just keep my runs short for the next 2 weeks and push thru on race day. Any other advice welcome. Will check thru the boards as well. Thanks
2013-11-25 12:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Here's the deal on open practice swimming at Lake Cahuilla this year I just got from Mark Wilson, the RD. It's a little different than at previous tris.

The lake is open any time for practice swimming Friday and Saturday. (And especially for newer OW swimmers, I'm a huge proponent of getting in the lake and comfortable the day before the race so the swim will be nothing but fun with no freakouts).

The agreement with the lake management for swim safety is that a group have a designated lifeguard on shore with a buoy. Per Mark's suggestion, an easy way to do this is to organize your group, and have one person on shore for a few minutes, then swap. Everyone in even a small group can get plenty of time in the water this way. (We'll check with Mark, but I assume we'll borrow HITS-supplied lifeguard buoys).

As people might recall, at HITS PS last year, there was open swimming 12-4 Fri, Sat. At the Desert tris, they have open swimming 3-4 the day before races.

This year at HITS, we can swim any time Fri or Sat as long as we organize our own groups.

FYI, the athlete guide estimates the water temperature to be 60-63, so a lot of us will need multiple caps!

See you there!

Edited by Pacific John 2013-11-25 12:22 PM
2013-11-26 12:02 PM
in reply to: Pacific John

User image

About 90% I am out.   Dealing with some lingering foot issues, are not getting any worse, but not getting any better as long as I keep running, so I probably need to take a couple weeks + off, to beneit next season.  No point in delaying recovery for a small Oly.

2013-11-26 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

About 90% I am out.   Dealing with some lingering foot issues, are not getting any worse, but not getting any better as long as I keep running, so I probably need to take a couple weeks + off, to beneit next season.  No point in delaying recovery for a small Oly.

Crap, sorry to hear that. When is your next scheduled race after this one?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS Palm Springs Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course : Official Thread

Started by chrismcturnan
Views: 1224 Posts: 2

2012-11-04 10:29 PM spjon25

HIT Palm Springs Pages: 1 2 3

Started by chrismcturnan
Views: 4736 Posts: 65

2012-12-03 10:58 PM amymengel

HITS Palm Springs $150 for Half Iron til Monday!

Started by obohlman
Views: 1250 Posts: 6

2012-09-01 11:28 PM STut

For those interested-HITS Palm Springs Discount

Started by spjon25
Views: 2041 Posts: 6

2012-08-09 8:02 PM obohlman

Tour de Palm Springs/Palm Springs Half Marathon

Started by jackson61802
Views: 3190 Posts: 7

2011-01-14 6:06 PM TriBabe2006
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT talks one-on-one with HITS race director, Mark Wilson

date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Bench Press - Dumbbell, Palms Facing-In strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 24, 2006
author : Team BT
Wrist Curl-Palm Down strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.