General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-01 9:52 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread
I'm in! Who else is going?

2013-11-01 11:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread

I'm a first round draft choice

Bryan Dunn is also in

Edited by ChrisM 2013-11-01 11:10 AM
2013-11-01 2:11 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Veteran
I'll be there!

Second time for me!

Can't wait!
2013-11-01 4:51 PM
in reply to: JamieS

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by JamieS Second time for me!

Any words of advice for the first timers? Specific things to work into the training, etc??

How tough is the Sand Ladder, etc...?

2013-11-04 11:55 AM

User image

I wish I was, this is my second year failed lottery attempt...........Maybe next year!!!
2013-11-10 10:17 PM

User image

New user

Southern California
I'm in.

First time doing the race...I'm so excited.

Hopefully the swim is warmer than the arctic enema from my Tough Mudder race yesterday.

2013-11-10 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by JamieS Second time for me!

Any words of advice for the first timers? Specific things to work into the training, etc??

How tough is the Sand Ladder, etc...?

The first piece of training advice I have is ride hills, then ride some steeper hills and finally ride some steeper hills. The bike course is short (for an oly) at just 18 miles, but it is almost all up and down and many of the downs have sharp turns at the bottom.

The sand ladder is just a long staircase after a 2 mile run on the sand. I fast walked up it and used the cable for help. I passed a few people and a few people passed me. Just pace yourself and don't try to win the race on the ladder.

The swim is all about the weather conditions for the day. In 2010 when I did it the weather was great. The water was cold (for me) about 51. But there was very little chop or wind and clear skies. You just need to swim "across the current" and it will push you down to the exit.

These videos on the race website are pretty helpful. http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com/Race_Info/Race_Tips.htm Pay close attention to the sighting for the swim. It really helped me to know what to look for.

I can't wait to get to it again!
2013-11-10 11:11 PM
in reply to: dakota1013

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by dakota1013

I'm in.

First time doing the race...I'm so excited.

Hopefully the swim is warmer than the arctic enema from my Tough Mudder race yesterday.

It is! I did the TM yesterday too! Loved it. I had a great team and we had a blast! The Arctic Enema is much colder, but also a much shorter distance! And, you can wear a wetsuit in Alcatraz!
2013-11-11 3:24 PM

User image

Haven't done the race, but I've swam Alcatraz 3X.  My two tips would be don't do all your OWS in the early glassy flat morning.  Wait until the wind comes up and swim in the chop.  And for sighting, depending on the current you will be directed to sight to various landmarks, they usually set these things to start just before slack tide towards an ebb tide (ie. towards the GG bridge).  You'll adjust the landmarks during the swim the closer you get.  i.e., start sighting off the fine arts palace, then go to pier such and such, then sight off the yacht club, etc....

three tips, hold your goggle onto your head as you jump off the boat.  You may need them.

2013-11-19 4:56 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

What about neoprene caps?  Needed, not needed?  

Would a silicone cap under the race's latex cap be enough?

2013-11-19 5:00 PM

User image

I brought a neoprene cap for the last swim I did (alcatraz challenge swim/run).  I had it on on the boat, but after an hour my head got so freaking hot, I took it off and stuffed it down my wetsuit.  I believe I may have used two caps, not sure.  For Escape I'll use a silicone cap under the race cap, that's always worked for me.

2013-12-04 3:14 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I've seen where the run is described as a trail run.

Obviously there is the run on Baker Beach and the Sand Ladder, but how much of the rest of it is trail and how much is road?

Should I be giving consideration to using a trail shoe?  

2013-12-04 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by cgregg

I've seen where the run is described as a trail run.

Obviously there is the run on Baker Beach and the Sand Ladder, but how much of the rest of it is trail and how much is road?

Should I be giving consideration to using a trail shoe?  

I used my normal road shoes last time and it was fine. All of the "trail" is hard packed dirt. A trail shoe wouldn't be bad, but definitely not needed.
2014-03-14 6:03 PM
in reply to: JamieS

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY
I'm in. My second time. Did it last year...amazing experience. Course conditions were very difficult last year in the water. Hopefully the move back to June will help.
2014-04-16 3:51 PM
in reply to: Dlyon

User image

Bump, next race up for me.  Trying to get down to goal weight, got close for NOLA 70.3 last weekend, but post (and pre race) gastronomic opportunities put a dent in that.....   Time to start getting in some rough water!

2014-05-09 5:47 PM

User image

Veteran
A little more than 3 weeks to go! Hope everyone is ready!!!

I've been thinking about the day of and remembered that I really wished I had a light in the morning when setting up transition. It certainly was dark out there before getting on the bus to head to the boat. This year I will be sure to have a light.

If I remember any more tidbits of information, I'll be sure to post.

2014-05-18 9:25 PM

User image

2 weeks to a ghirardelli sundae! I mean.... The race. Finall booked air and hotel. Going to get a quick swim at aquatic park Saturday morning.
2014-05-21 9:09 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Oh dear Lord, this is getting real, quickly!  

A few questions for you veterans of this race:

• swim booties?  needed, or don't bother?  Did I already ask this previously? I'm not typically a freeze baby type, so I'm not worried that I might be cold.
  • bike check-in.. is it morning of only, or can/do we check bikes into transition the day before?
  • hills on the bike.... I've looked at elevation maps, I've watched some YouTube videos... but, really, what should we expect?

What time Saturday morning?  Is it open to everyone, or is this something being organized by a local group that you have to sign up for?

I'm looking forward to a sourdough soup bowl at Fisherman's Wharf, and taking a tour of the prison.

2014-05-21 9:12 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by ChrisM

I'm a first round draft choice

Bryan Dunn is also in

Thank Jeebus he aged up!!

2014-05-21 11:55 AM

User image

Haven't done escape but done a few swims

Booties - No.  Your feet will go numb and you won't even notice them.  

Check in - Far as I can tell from teh race info race morning only

Hills - expect hills    Steep ones.      But I think they're pretty short.

Saturday - I am just getting in the water 8 ish for 15 minutes or so, or until the ice cream headache goes away.

We're doing a cruiser bike ride across the GG bridge Sat and Alcatraz Sunday after the race before flying out. 

2014-05-21 1:53 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Have you already reserved your tickets to tour Alcatraz, or are you going to get them that day?

I'm staying at a friend's house for the duration, and he is chauffering me around.... I'm going to see if I can talk him into swinging down for the Saturday swim.

Are you renting the cruiser bikes?  Why do I forsee that turning into a fixie race across the bridge, lol??

I am getting in the water at least once, if not twice, this weekend.  Lake Erie is currently the same temp as we'll be swimming for the race, so at least I can get my mind acclimated a little.

2014-05-21 2:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I think it's best to reserve on line for Alcatraz.  At least we are since we really only have one opening.  It is kind of cool doing it after the race, when it gets real choppy and nasty, and saying "yeah, I swam that" (even tho conditions were much calmer).       We're gonne shoot for a 1:30 ferry to alcatraz Sunday and think good thoughts  

The cruiser bikes across the bridge were my wife's request, and are my way of making it *seem* like the weekend is not only about me. 

Actually the weekend is jam packed with family and race stuff.   Fly in Friday nite, Swim AP Sat am, hitch a cab/Lyft to Sports Basement to get my buke from tri bike transport at 9-ish, ride back to fisherman's wharf, pick up rental bikes, noodle around  and get to race expo for pickup/ 1 pm meeting, ride over bridge to Sausalito (hopefully taking our time), ferry back to FW, turn in bikes, dinner, up at 4, race til (hopefully) 10:30, back to FW, shower, walk to ferry terminal, alcatraz til 4:30 ish, Bart to SFO, home.

Phew

If you want to meet up, my phone for text is (310) 993-9689....  Again, about 8 ish but no set plans yet.  Although I am going straight to Starbucks after for hot coffee.  That is definite

I got in local chop here two weekends ago, but waited too long last weekend, by the time I had an opening the kite surfers were out it was so windy.  Don't need that much chop training.   Probably get in twice between now and race, even if for 20 minutes.  It's low 60s here, so temps are kinda similar.  NOAA today says the Bay is 58, http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/physocean.html?id=9414290   There is quite a swing depending on the time of day.

Also, weather should be sunnty and cool.  perfect racing weather

Edited by ChrisM 2014-05-21 2:22 PM
2014-05-21 2:36 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Woah, you've put a ton more planning into it than I have, lol!

I know that I'm flying in on Thurs, flying out on Tues.... and racing on Sunday.   I haven't put together too much else.  I suppose I need to think about  that, lol.

I have to get over to get my bike from TBT, too... I haven't looked at where they will be in relation to transition.  I take it that they are not right next to each other and thus getting the bike race morning is a bad idea?

Got ya added to my phone.  My number is (216) 749-2788.  Meeting up would be cool.   I still have to confirm with the friend I'm staying with that he even wants to go see Alcatraz (which I think is a must).

I'm seriously getting stoked for this race.  The hills on the bike have me a little worried, but I'm excited for the rest of it.  I'm not worried about the chop on the swim at all (I actually like some chop), I just want to get accustomed to the water temps.... which I was expecting to be much closer to 53-55.  That chart makes me happy!

2014-05-21 2:50 PM

User image

Well, we're only there for such a short time, we have to plan it out if we want to do something.   You've got way more leeway.  Oh, I forgot, Ghirardelli sundae on Sunday after the race    

You wouldn't need an alcatraz reservation for a weekday.  But I heard the night tour is awesome, we can't do it but look into it

Good thing you asked about bike pickup, because TBT is only open Fri and Sat for bike pickup.  It's at a shop called sports basement, about a mile from transition.   It's a great shop, spend some time in there.

2014-05-21 3:12 PM

User image

I am in, first-time participant but I've spectated before.  Chris and I nearly always end up at one race together every year.  Driving up Wednesday.  At Chris's suggestion, I'm going to do the Alcatraz tour too, but before the race.  I am going either alone or with however many of my as-yet-unmet friends have also signed up for Thursday morning.     Friday I decided to go (pay for) Swim with Pedro from the island -- I am not nervous about the swim but rather I want to do it more while I'm up there  -- wanted to take some pictures in the water to show my friends who think I am crazy and to see how the currents were running that week, meet some other racers, just make it a little more touristy and fun before the actual race so that I don't spend the whole swim "sightseeing" in the bay.  I also swam with Pedro last month along the Crissy Field route.  The water is cold of course but was not bone-chilling cold.  High 50s in the water that morning, and it was raining.  I wore 2 latex caps, and Pedro gave us all wax earplugs -- first time I tried that, and it does keep you warmer.  The bike course as you expect has longish hills that are steep in places, but I don't think they go into double digits for any length.  I am not going to think about what the actual numbers are and am just going to keep pedaling (39/26 is my low gear, 650c) -- I find that strategy is better for steep hills than freaking out in advance.  On the whole it is a beautiful course and everyone seems to be having a lot of fun (even if suffering). 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by phatknot
Views: 6816 Posts: 37

2013-03-05 1:04 AM jldicarlo

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Mike_in_SD
Views: 12604 Posts: 63

2012-08-17 9:50 AM Bigrthanur

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by brobinson
Views: 4155 Posts: 13

2011-06-08 8:39 AM IMtrikev

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by zukker
Views: 11466 Posts: 52

2010-05-18 8:23 PM cbteague

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 20942 Posts: 234

2009-06-13 8:53 AM TriDDS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : December 19, 2006
author : Team BT
Alcatraz 2005 provided by crusevegas
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 4, 2006
Alcatraz 2005: Transition triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.
date : July 4, 2006
comments : 1
Alcatraz 2005: Swim triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: