General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long distance blues and recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-04 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: Long distance blues and recovery
Sprint, Olympics, I'm back to training full force the next day.

HIM? Not so much. And I suspect (and will find out at IMTX) that its twice as not so much in a full.

After three 70.3 races this year, the pattern is:

Increasing chronic and acute TSS into taper week - hold for a week - watch TSB shoot up and perform on race day (at least, show up ready).

Then the next couple of days off, feeling great but any significant stress leaves me winded.

Recovery swim (1000 m) 3 days out, bike (20 miles) 4 days out and run (8 miles) 5 days out on the Friday and I feel great.

Then comes Sat/Sun, with flat workouts, loss of motivation, "forced" intervals etc.

Speedwork the following Monday seems to put things back on track, but its uphill for another week before motivation fully returns.

Wondering on other's post HIM experiences. I'm 46.

2013-11-04 5:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: Long distance blues and recovery
What you mention is very typical of a week post-(insert big race.) You are super focused on training, then peak for your race, race day you leave it all out there, but then sometime shortly after you lose your peak. You may have no goal in the next couple monthes to work towards. All of a sudden there is this empty space where the training was that you don't really know what to do with. Often lack of motivation soon after a big race is a good sign that you need a bit more rest.

I find that the more wrecked I am, either physically or mentally, after a big one, the longer and more drawn out it can go. After an IM for me, the harder I try to force the issue the longer it takes. After my first I still had my peak a week later and did back to back centuries since I felt so great, but man when I 'landed' it was seriously ugly!

The baest way I found for the week post IM is to plan your recovery before the race. Plan meals and what you are going to do. For me it was buying a new book I wanted to read and would finally have the time for. Fill your cupboards with lots of healthy food, a a few treats as well. Doesnt erase the slight blahs, but it helps!

Edited by LittleCat 2013-11-04 5:52 PM
2013-11-15 6:33 AM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
Wow I thought I was the only one who felt this way. After the Vineman 70.3 I didn't feel like doing anything and really cheated myself out of training. There were no goals or races to look toward too until recently but I definitely had the blahs. I caught myself rambling on to co-workers about our sport and found I was getting excited just talking about it so yea.....back into training I go. They were looking at me like I was a weirdo
2013-11-16 1:44 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Originally posted by LittleCat

What you mention is very typical of a week post-(insert big race.) You are super focused on training, then peak for your race, race day you leave it all out there, but then sometime shortly after you lose your peak. You may have no goal in the next couple monthes to work towards. All of a sudden there is this empty space where the training was that you don't really know what to do with. Often lack of motivation soon after a big race is a good sign that you need a bit more rest.

I find that the more wrecked I am, either physically or mentally, after a big one, the longer and more drawn out it can go. After an IM for me, the harder I try to force the issue the longer it takes. After my first I still had my peak a week later and did back to back centuries since I felt so great, but man when I 'landed' it was seriously ugly!

The baest way I found for the week post IM is to plan your recovery before the race. Plan meals and what you are going to do. For me it was buying a new book I wanted to read and would finally have the time for. Fill your cupboards with lots of healthy food, a a few treats as well. Doesnt erase the slight blahs, but it helps!

yeah - i have to agree with this - did my 1st iron distance race in August and still sort of feeling the blues after it! I put it fully down to not having a solid goal in place - I really can't decide on waht to do next and because of that I'm not as motivated to get out near as much!
All the baove is great advice and I'd add insetting a new goal - shorter term if you need to to help you through it! easier said than done sometimes though!
2013-11-25 4:37 PM
in reply to: grahamclarke_6

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
I had the blues 2 weeks after IMFL. I feel like I have no focus. Nothing on the horizon.
I plan on signing up for a few 70.3's for next year but, Ironman was epic, I feel like nothing
can ever replicate finishing my first Ironman.
Im planning on Lake Placid in 2015, but thats a long way off.

My friend suggested buying a Tri Bike, that should give me plenty of motivation for the next race.
Hopefully my wife will agree. lol...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long distance blues and recovery Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How long is too long for long runs?

Started by Bevie
Views: 2566 Posts: 20

2013-06-11 11:16 PM brigby1

Recovery from Ironman - how long?

Started by jashac
Views: 4083 Posts: 10

2010-11-30 10:32 AM sjboyne

Recovery time from long rides/runs

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1122 Posts: 6

2008-08-14 10:10 AM KathyG

Blue Devil Iron Distance anyone?

Started by HookedOnTri
Views: 945 Posts: 6

2005-12-04 5:57 PM TH3_FRB

Gong Long vs Iron Distance

Started by Steve-
Views: 1548 Posts: 8

2004-12-04 9:34 AM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.

date : December 22, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
I only had 6 weeks to prepare, so I pushed myself pretty hard while I was training. After my first figure competition, my trainer had me take a week off just to rest and recoup. Was this needed?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : May 21, 2007
author : katzchen55
comments : 11
If you are suffering from depression like me, take heart - you are not alone. You can use exercise and triathlon training as depression therapy.
date : April 17, 2005
My question is on nutrition in a long race. Most intake will occur on the bike, but I'm curious as to the details. I didn't do real well in this area last year and really need to improve.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?