General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-02-13 1:50 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
Subject: RE: Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread
I am using the BT training log, just because it does a good job breaking down the training volume and is pretty adaptive to my needs. I also joined a mentor group just to ask newbie questions, as this is my first IM that I am attempting.

I live about 50 miles away from the race, so I am planning on driving up the day of the expo and the day of the race. Fortunately, my friends and family understand that I won't have a whole lot of time for them that weekend. I do plan on riding/running the course in the next few months to become acclimated to the course.

2014-02-13 3:07 PM

User image

Plaistow, New Hampshire
I'm planning to use the BT log for all of my training. I'm using one of the BT IM training plans as a framework and following it as much as possible. I use Strava just for fun and to look at pace and cadence and HR details, but the BT log is a much better big-picture view of my weeks and my breakdown of hours.

And, as I think someone said, it's good to look back and see what I was doing, both later in the training and also after the race.
2014-02-13 5:56 PM
in reply to: Happyinmarin

User image

Originally posted by Happyinmarin

I am using the BT training log, just because it does a good job breaking down the training volume and is pretty adaptive to my needs. I also joined a mentor group just to ask newbie questions, as this is my first IM that I am attempting.

I live about 50 miles away from the race, so I am planning on driving up the day of the expo and the day of the race. Fortunately, my friends and family understand that I won't have a whole lot of time for them that weekend. I do plan on riding/running the course in the next few months to become acclimated to the course.

Lucky you! How awesome to be able to ride the course.
I haven't used BT log, but I just starting and put everyone in this thread as a friend. Between this log and Strava, we will be able to encourage each other.
Rita
2014-02-13 10:51 PM
in reply to: ritakandel

User image

Expert
Salem
If you can't ride it you can view the whole Bike Course on YouTube - 4 different parts to the whole race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-7wQb2_5nM

It is from View the Race. If the link doesn't work just google Vineman Bike Course Video. You might already know about this, but just in case.
2014-02-14 11:02 AM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Originally posted by TriGuyBri

If you can't ride it you can view the whole Bike Course on YouTube - 4 different parts to the whole race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-7wQb2_5nM

It is from View the Race. If the link doesn't work just google Vineman Bike Course Video. You might already know about this, but just in case.

Thanks for the video link Brian. It has nice narration too. It was great to get some land marks for chaulk hill and just to have an idea what the course is like overall. Awesome!
2014-02-14 2:56 PM

1. Kate
2. 2 years
3. first iron distance
4. Time?? Hoping to make it through training without injuries. And ride the bike course without a crash.

I have been lurking for awhile to pick up anything I can about the course, but so excited about the race I thought I would join!

2014-02-14 4:07 PM
in reply to: khaddon

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Hey Kate, welcome to the thread!  It's going to be great to hear how things progress as the months fly by!

Dan, I'm down in Fremont and plan to ride the course, or parts of it, 3+ times during training.  I'll try to remember to let you know when I'll be doing that to see if you'd like to join in the fun.  It'll likely be on Thursdays to avoid all the wine-tasting-then-driving crowd that frequents the roadways up there.  Anyone else is, of course, also welcome if they are willing to make the trip :-)

Brian, I've got a question for you.  Are there changing tents in transition for the Vineman?  I haven't seen any mention of them but was planning to slip into fully padded bike shorts for the ride and a pair of running shorts for the run.  If there is not a changing tent, I'll make sure to practice more in the tri shorts.

Looks like a lot of us will be using BT for logging our training, I did decide to go with the training program available from Vineman (Dave LaTourette) as I had great results with the 70.3 plan last year.  It is a shorter plan, only 16 weeks, so I've put together my own pre-plan base training.  It is going well and I am, for the first time ever, training with a partner - boy does that make long rides/runs go faster.  She's been doing HMs during the winter so is in great running shape and is pulling me into better condition.  Thus far I've been focusing on low heart rate/aerobic base runs I've had success with in the past, but am loving the more intense shorter workouts I'm getting now.  This week - 10.7 hours (5.3, 3.3, 2.1 S/B/R).  Hard to believe that is only half the volume of peak week!!!

2014-02-15 5:18 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Tom,

There are changing tents. At T1 the tent is located at the exit to the swim. To be honest I used the tent but if I did it again I would stay at my bike and wrap some kind of towel or changing robe to get my bike shorts on. I used bib bike shorts. It was just as dirty in the changing tent as it was by the bike. There was a very tiny small piece of carpet in the tent. Bring an old towel to use on the ground so you can step on to get your shorts on, socks and shoes then go for the rest. I think I had to run back 10 rows to get to the tent. Some people could have run 60-70 YDS or so to get to the tent in T1.

T2 the tents are located by the run out towards the far end. It gets hot and muggy in the tent. I used the Changing tent in T2 as well but it was on grass so much cleaner. I changed into Tri shorts for the run and a running shirt. I was able to set up my T2 right across from the Changing tent area as this was the setup for men 50-54.

If you can help it I would say do not use the tents. Find a way to not have to use the T1 Tent. T2 was ok. I'd try to find some kind of changing robe like they use for changing after surfing or make your own.
2014-02-15 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I knew I had a picture of the T2 Changing Tents. You can see the run exit off to the left of the picture. I think I was 4 rows for the end of T2.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (168KB - 5 downloads)
2014-02-15 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I can post more pictures of the venues T1 the day before the event, swim area, T2 Area. bike in/ bike out and run out. If you want them for perspective.

2014-02-17 5:16 PM

User image

Originally posted by TriGuyBri

I can post more pictures of the venues T1 the day before the event, swim area, T2 Area. bike in/ bike out and run out. If you want them for perspective.

That would be awesome if you could post more pictures Brian.

2014-02-17 9:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Salem
I'll work on getting pic posted.

Edited by TriGuyBri 2014-02-17 9:46 PM
2014-02-19 12:29 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Here are some pics. These are at Johnson Beach. Swim venue and T1. T1, Russian River looking up the river from T1 and the Start, Swim start, above the small Dam, hill you have to come up leaving T1, Swim Exit under the banner.

Edited by TriGuyBri 2014-02-19 12:35 AM

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (165KB - 5 downloads)
image.jpg (168KB - 3 downloads)
image.jpg (18KB - 4 downloads)
image.jpg (280KB - 3 downloads)
image.jpg (26KB - 4 downloads)
2014-02-19 12:39 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
T2 Windsor High School. Run in for laps 1 and 2, Start for Run out, Bike In, T2 going towards Run out, T2 looking toward the expo.

Edited by TriGuyBri 2014-02-19 12:46 AM

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (25KB - 5 downloads)
image.jpg (220KB - 4 downloads)
image.jpg (196KB - 4 downloads)
image.jpg (161KB - 4 downloads)
image.jpg (175KB - 7 downloads)
2014-02-20 12:21 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Thanks Brian! I remember the run in off the bike in the 70.3 as being really long. Was it also long in the full? I didn't really mind as it served as a sort of easy warmup for the run. So last Saturday night I went to a friend's 55th birthday party which was a bowling party. I like bowling so thought this would be a lot of fun. Unfortunately the approach to the lane was sticky With the result that I managed to tweak my hips/gluteus somehow. It's been a frustrating few days as it heals, but my training partner rightly reminded me that we are still just base building so it is not a total loss. I'm going to try and look at it as a stepback training week designed for recovery. Bummer though as it really felt like things were coming together on the bike and run. Anyone have any mental tricks to get through these kinds of setbacks?

Edited by TTom 2014-02-20 12:28 AM
2014-02-20 9:59 AM

Tom - Sounds like something I would do, frustrating. Before every marathon I have run, I hurt something, have to take a few days off. I think part of endurance trainging is learning how to manage the minor injuries and not letting them get worse. I tell myself if it hurts to walk, it will hurt to run, take 3-7 days off. I will usually try something nonimpact to maintain fitness. Better to let it heal than keep training and making it worse. You will be surprised how little you lose if you can keep doing something. Hang in there, don't push it, you have plenty of time.

2014-02-20 10:14 AM
in reply to: khaddon

User image

Originally posted by khaddon

Tom - Sounds like something I would do, frustrating. Before every marathon I have run, I hurt something, have to take a few days off. I think part of endurance trainging is learning how to manage the minor injuries and not letting them get worse. I tell myself if it hurts to walk, it will hurt to run, take 3-7 days off. I will usually try something nonimpact to maintain fitness. Better to let it heal than keep training and making it worse. You will be surprised how little you lose if you can keep doing something. Hang in there, don't push it, you have plenty of time.

Tom, in the Base building phase I usually do 3 weeks high volume and then 1 week low volume (rest week). Maybe take this week as a rest week and tell yourself that it is simply in line with your training. Take the rare opportunity to sleep more which your body will thank you for. I just read an article about how some of the most impressive performances (i.e. Craig Alexander in Kona and Sebastian Kienle in 70.3 Worlds) have come after periods of forced rest (they were significantly injured or sick early in their season). This may actually be just what you needed!
2014-02-20 10:40 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Originally posted by TTom

Thanks Brian! I remember the run in off the bike in the 70.3 as being really long. Was it also long in the full? I didn't really mind as it served as a sort of easy warmup for the run. So last Saturday night I went to a friend's 55th birthday party which was a bowling party. I like bowling so thought this would be a lot of fun. Unfortunately the approach to the lane was sticky With the result that I managed to tweak my hips/gluteus somehow. It's been a frustrating few days as it heals, but my training partner rightly reminded me that we are still just base building so it is not a total loss. I'm going to try and look at it as a stepback training week designed for recovery. Bummer though as it really felt like things were coming together on the bike and run. Anyone have any mental tricks to get through these kinds of setbacks?

I knpw the feeling as I sit here reading this with a heating pad on my back. I tweaked something this past weekend riding motocross. That sport and triathlon training do not necessarily go hand in hand I will be out htis whole week - hopefully this weekend I can get on the bike.
2014-02-20 11:30 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
The bike into T2 is quite long and also mostly on concrete. I walked in. Of course my right outside foot was hurting pretty bad by the time I got off the bike. Once you get to T2 it is all grass until you head out on the run.
2014-02-21 1:08 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I've got my stretches and strengthening exercises underway and am seeing improvement. Swam Tuesday but did only pull drills and worked on weak side breathing with paddles and buoy as I wanted to give the lower body some rest. Today though did 500 in drills then 15x100 on 2:00 as my main set averaging 1:44/100 there so getting back on track. I recently had my 910 replaced as the elevation readings were really wacky, and I'm finding this new unit is a bit more finicky on the lap button. Going to have to figure that one out as I had a few laps today that showed up as 2:00 which means the button didn't work when I pushed it to start the interval. Like they say if it ain't one thing, it's another! Next challenge - easing back into the bike and run.
2014-02-27 7:29 PM

User image

Your first name? Joe
How long have you been doing triathlons (of any distance)? 4 years
What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you? This will be #2.
At registration time, what's your finish goal? I would like to go under 14 hours
Any words of wisdom about this race specifically or this distance in general? I have done Vineman 70.3 and it was an awesome experience. Great course...we will have a great time!

I am in sacramento if anyone in the area wants to ride some time.

2014-02-27 8:46 PM
in reply to: Joetrujillo1978

User image

Welcome to the thread Joe. Hope you are enjoying all the rain you've been getting. Hopefully it keeps us from walking the swim in July!
2014-02-28 1:18 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Hey Joe, welcome to the group! Looks like Brian is the closest to you (Roseville) so you guys may be able to pretty easily hook up for a ride. Some of us will be riding all or parts of the race course during training so if scheduling permits you may want to join in on that since it is just a couple of hours from you.
2014-02-28 1:38 PM

User image

Tom, I would love to join. Keep me informed.
2014-03-25 9:45 AM

User image

Not a lot of activity on the forum... How is everyone's training going?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by lisac957
Views: 51873 Posts: 708

2013-10-07 2:39 PM TTom

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jmkizer
Views: 30627 Posts: 240

2012-10-19 11:59 AM rpoulter

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by ironjim
Views: 38557 Posts: 449

2011-11-19 6:52 AM jmkizer

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by velasqu7
Views: 12517 Posts: 61

2010-08-02 11:56 PM AbbieR

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by chile7473
Views: 24257 Posts: 224

2009-12-13 9:03 PM Focker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.