General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-03-25 10:17 AM
in reply to: ritakandel

User image

Subject: RE: Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread
Training going well. I have been able to achieve about 95% of my training plan thus far and haven't gotten sick so that is a success. I just did a Half Marathon on Saturday as a tune-up for my 70.3 in May and as part of my overall plan. My PR on that course (rolling hills and two monster hills) is 1:31 but that is back when I was a pure runner. I was able to pull off a 1:34! I was really excited about this because I would have been happy with a 1:40.

I have been following the MAF heart rate training method that Phil Maffetone teaches and I am a believer. I have been able to saty uninjured and healthy and still improve my overall aerobic capacity accross all 3 disciplines. So, knock on wood, so far so good. How about everybody else?

2014-03-25 10:42 AM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Originally posted by Lock_N_Load

Training going well. I have been able to achieve about 95% of my training plan thus far and haven't gotten sick so that is a success. I just did a Half Marathon on Saturday as a tune-up for my 70.3 in May and as part of my overall plan. My PR on that course (rolling hills and two monster hills) is 1:31 but that is back when I was a pure runner. I was able to pull off a 1:34! I was really excited about this because I would have been happy with a 1:40.

I have been following the MAF heart rate training method that Phil Maffetone teaches and I am a believer. I have been able to saty uninjured and healthy and still improve my overall aerobic capacity accross all 3 disciplines. So, knock on wood, so far so good. How about everybody else?

Nice half! You have got to be stoked with that time. Sounds like a great training so far. What 70.3 are you doing?
I am going to look up the MAF heart rate training method, HR training is not something I have a good grasp on. I would like to give it a try. I have been mixing up my runs, some being straight run and other the Galloway Method to reduce potential injury. So far so good, that is if you don't count my ongoing Achilles tendinitis and arthritis. A constant pain I have been dealing with for years... Otherwise my trainings have been pretty decent. I have manage to do about 95% of my plan for 9 out of the last 10 weeks. So, I am happy. I noticed there are only a few people using the BT training log. I have to admit, that I only upload on occasion and don't always upload my swims. It has been nice following Jill on Strava though. Keep up the hard work!
2014-03-25 11:30 AM

User image

Originally posted by ritakandel

Nice half! You have got to be stoked with that time. Sounds like a great training so far. What 70.3 are you doing?
I am going to look up the MAF heart rate training method, HR training is not something I have a good grasp on. I would like to give it a try. I have been mixing up my runs, some being straight run and other the Galloway Method to reduce potential injury. So far so good, that is if you don't count my ongoing Achilles tendinitis and arthritis. A constant pain I have been dealing with for years... Otherwise my trainings have been pretty decent. I have manage to do about 95% of my plan for 9 out of the last 10 weeks. So, I am happy. I noticed there are only a few people using the BT training log. I have to admit, that I only upload on occasion and don't always upload my swims. It has been nice following Jill on Strava though. Keep up the hard work!

Thanks. I'm doing the Ironman St. George 70.3. I did it last year and it's a killer. However, St. George puts on awesome races. The community there is totally invested in the race. Sounds like training is going well for you, keep it up! To find details about the training method I'm following just Google Phil Maffetone and go to his website. About 90% of the details are in there. Also listen to the Endurance Planet and Zen and the Art of Triathlon podcasts. They talk about this method ad nauseaum there.
2014-03-26 11:10 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

I second the vote for Maffetone training.  I started using it when doing marathons and it really made a difference on my aerobic fitness and got me a great PR on my last race.  I'm using a somewhat modified version where I kept all of my runs and bikes @ <Zone 2.0 for December through February and now am raising that to z2.5 in March.  I've again seen great improvement on my aerobic fitness going from runs that would have an average pace of 9:10 to last Monday's which was at z2.3 with an average pace of 8:17.  Was able to carry on a conversation with my training partner the whole run.

So training's going well for me.  I've been dealing with a nagging glue/upper hammie issue that is quite frankly making me cranky.  I've struggled to pin down the cause and the Dr's can't really put their finger on what it really is.  Got some new stretches/strengthening exercises from my PT that seem to be helping, so fingers are crossed.  I don't start my actual training plan until April 6, so am doing my aerobic build right now still with the last few weeks of training coming in at about 11.5 hours.  I'm working on form in the swim, not really aerobic endurance, following the theory that the better form will drive a more efficient stroke and improve my times with no added effort.  Good theory, but dang, swimming is (for me) hard and by far the most complicated of the S/B/R.  Just got my Tribike refit dropping the handlebar by another 10mm, so adapting to that, and also added some arch support to the bike shoes to see if that would help the nagging hip issue (fitter speculates that since I have high arches, I may be collapsing it on my left side during the downstroke which would cause an uneven rotation of the hip and issues there). 

So, lot's going on in training, but loving it.

2014-03-28 10:25 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Swimming:  Endurance workouts vs. drills. 

In all my past training that I've done on my own, I've only done endurance sets, mostly a series of 100's or a straight swim, with most sets being in the 2000-3000 yard range.  This worked out well for me and I was really pleased with the results in my HIM where I posted a 35:10 for the swim which was a pace of 1:40/100.  I felt I could do better but didn't really know how to go about the 'better' part.  I hired a coach for a few sessions and got some advice, but it really didn't get me a feeling of improvement, and the times didn't change all that much.

For this training cycle I am really fortunate to have a training partner who is an excellent swimmer who readily can identify areas of improvement and provide drills that help me fix my stroke issues.  I can really feel the difference doing the drills - how my pull is impacted, where my rotational issues lie, the imbalance that comes from single-side breathing, etc. (needless to say, I've got many different areas to work on).  I'm adopting the approach that this will make me more efficient, gaining speed without extra effort, and will let me leave the water feeling more energetic when I go to the bike.  Right now it is a bit of a struggle mentally as I've lost some of my endurance in the water - noticeably so - such that I'm breathing heavy after doing a couple of not-so-hard 250's on 4:30, but I'm going to stay the course as I really do believe this will have a long term payoff.

So to get a little discussion started, what approaches have you taken in the Swim training area, what has helped you see the most gains, and what - if anything - are you doing different this cycle?

2014-03-29 9:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by ritakandel

Thanks. I'm doing the Ironman St. George 70.3. I did it last year and it's a killer. However, St. George puts on awesome races. The community there is totally invested in the race. Sounds like training is going well for you, keep it up! To find details about the training method I'm following just Google Phil Maffetone and go to his website. About 90% of the details are in there. Also listen to the Endurance Planet and Zen and the Art of Triathlon podcasts. They talk about this method ad nauseaum there.

Thanks for the info. I would love to do St George some day. It is so beautiful there.

2014-03-29 9:33 PM

User image

Originally posted by TTom

Swimming:  Endurance workouts vs. drills. 

In all my past training that I've done on my own, I've only done endurance sets, mostly a series of 100's or a straight swim, with most sets being in the 2000-3000 yard range.  This worked out well for me and I was really pleased with the results in my HIM where I posted a 35:10 for the swim which was a pace of 1:40/100.  I felt I could do better but didn't really know how to go about the 'better' part.  I hired a coach for a few sessions and got some advice, but it really didn't get me a feeling of improvement, and the times didn't change all that much.

For this training cycle I am really fortunate to have a training partner who is an excellent swimmer who readily can identify areas of improvement and provide drills that help me fix my stroke issues.  I can really feel the difference doing the drills - how my pull is impacted, where my rotational issues lie, the imbalance that comes from single-side breathing, etc. (needless to say, I've got many different areas to work on).  I'm adopting the approach that this will make me more efficient, gaining speed without extra effort, and will let me leave the water feeling more energetic when I go to the bike.  Right now it is a bit of a struggle mentally as I've lost some of my endurance in the water - noticeably so - such that I'm breathing heavy after doing a couple of not-so-hard 250's on 4:30, but I'm going to stay the course as I really do believe this will have a long term payoff.

So to get a little discussion started, what approaches have you taken in the Swim training area, what has helped you see the most gains, and what - if anything - are you doing different this cycle?

I have challenges in the swim because I breath on one side only. I have incorporated more bilateral breathing, but it is tough. I usually do some speed work sets of 50's or 100's or just a straight swim. I started using paddles hoping it would help my speed. It was a mistake because now I have shoulder issues which I did not have prior to paddles. It has slowed me down some. I have been pretty consistent at 2:00 minute 100's, now I am moving towards 2:08-2:10. Prior to the paddles, I was having success working on specific form; my reach, pull, elbow, relaxed breathing, etc. It seems that elongating my stroke with a focus on a strong pull has improved my speed the most. Right now, I am hoping my shoulder feels better soon.
2014-04-18 4:35 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

I'm a couple of weeks into the official plan now and training is going well.  This week was about 13.3 hours with a long ride of 4 hours/66 miles in a combination of flat and hilly (total climb of ~2700 ft.) terrain.  Felt good about it and the transition run afterwards was OK as well.  The swim is progressing with a continued focus on form more than speed, although a recent workout called for 20x100 on 10 seconds and I managed and average of 1:42/100 which for me is the best I've done - so hopes are high.

So by now everyone should have hotel reservations, etc.  Where will you be staying?  I'm at the Flamingo in Santa Rosa which is about a 30 minute drive to the start of the race.  My training partner and family are staying in Healdsburg which is about the same distance.  Now that I'm in official training mode, I'm looking over course maps/elevations and checking up on past race reports.  Anyone else started obsessing yet?

2014-04-19 3:54 PM

User image

I'm a couple of weeks into the official plan now and training is going well.  This week was about 13.3 hours with a long ride of 4 hours/66 miles in a combination of flat and hilly (total climb of ~2700 ft.) terrain.  Felt good about it and the transition run afterwards was OK as well.  The swim is progressing with a continued focus on form more than speed, although a recent workout called for 20x100 on 10 seconds and I managed and average of 1:42/100 which for me is the best I've done - so hopes are high.

So by now everyone should have hotel reservations, etc.  Where will you be staying?  I'm at the Flamingo in Santa Rosa which is about a 30 minute drive to the start of the race.  My training partner and family are staying in Healdsburg which is about the same distance.  Now that I'm in official training mode, I'm looking over course maps/elevations and checking up on past race reports.  Anyone else started obsessing yet?

I have had two weeks of not so good training. Between sick children and spring break, my training has suffered. I rode today for 40, supposed to be 55 Trans 10, but my quads were dead and my neck was in pain. I did take my kids rock climbing the past three days in Joshua Tree, so that is why my quads were dead. I had an accident at a trampoline gym with my kids on Monday. I hurt my neck and thought I broke my nose, but the nose isn't broken however my neck still hurts. That's what I get for still thinking I can do what I did 30 years ago. I was doing a 2 1/2 somersault into a foam pit, but landed on the pad ( straight up, straight down). I am taking tomorrow off, and hope Monday that I am back on track again. Been through the obsession thing and will probably return as we get closer. I am staying in Santa Rosa North area. Did a sprint tri last weekend and Michellie Jones (Ironman World Champion) was in my AG. Of course she killed it. It was her first time ever to do a AG event. She retired from pro. Anyway, it was a decent race, nothing to exciting for my performance though. Happy Easter Everyone! Here's to a new beginning on Monday.
2014-04-19 10:59 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
If you are staying at the Flamingo try this for Supper; take out from the Hotel Restaurant. I had it two nights in a row; including the night before the race. It was good eats.

MOSTACCIOLI DIANE 19.50
‘Angus’ Filet Mignon Tips, Creamy Dijon Mustard Sauce
Cremini Mushrooms, Reggiano Cheese
2014-04-21 12:53 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Rita, seems like you are really getting the double whammy right now!  I'm with you though; never remembering that I'm not a kid anymore . . .  Hopefully all gets back to 100% soon and your are back on track with your training!

Brian, that sound like a pretty nice meal.  I will definitely give it a go.  I get up there on Thursday, and don't leave until Sunday, so who knows, I too may end up having it two times!

2014-04-21 8:03 PM

User image

Rita, seems like you are really getting the double whammy right now!  I'm with you though; never remembering that I'm not a kid anymore . . .  Hopefully all gets back to 100% soon and your are back on track with your training!

Brian, that sound like a pretty nice meal.  I will definitely give it a go.  I get up there on Thursday, and don't leave until Sunday, so who knows, I too may end up having it two times!

After a full day of rest and chocolate Easter bunnies, I was excited to get out and run today. I ran my longest run WO so far this training. It was 11 miles with 1400 feet of elevation gain and post run I feel like I did a marathon. I did a run/walk since I have been so exhausted lately and to preserve my achillies so my pace was only a 11:30mm. Cardiovascularly I felt good, my body just felt slow. Every time I saw someone on a bike I was so jealous. I am so stiff and feeling defeated right now. Any words of wisdom?
2014-04-21 9:17 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Rita, you are coming off of a tough week and did your longest run yet WITH a good dose of hill work.  I think it is natural for you to feel like it was hard work.  On the plus side, you said the cardiovascular side of things felt good, and that's a solid win since what we are training for really relies on the endurance part of the equation.  I'd suggest you make your next run on a flat course that you've done before and see how you do there.  If it is your next run session, however, you still may feel a bit sluggish after the run you did today!

2014-04-27 4:45 PM

User image

Rita, you are coming off of a tough week and did your longest run yet WITH a good dose of hill work.  I think it is natural for you to feel like it was hard work.  On the plus side, you said the cardiovascular side of things felt good, and that's a solid win since what we are training for really relies on the endurance part of the equation.  I'd suggest you make your next run on a flat course that you've done before and see how you do there.  If it is your next run session, however, you still may feel a bit sluggish after the run you did today!

Thanks for the pep talk! My last three training days have been better. I am healing and feeling closer to normal. Hope this week brings on great training for everyone!
2014-04-27 5:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Rita, glad to hear things are (getting) back to normal.  For me training is a constant battle with injury or overuse and I have to keep reminding myself that the current pain will just be a memory in the not to distant future. 

Training is continuing to progress well with 12 hour weeks being the norm, but looking forward to this stepback week that is less than 10 hours!  The only fly in that ointment is that Thursday is a 3200 swim/2:30 bike/1:00 run as a combined workout.  That'll be interesting . . .  So, last week the moon and stars, and more importantly my training partner's and my schedules along with "take your kids to work day", aligned and we decided to  drive up and ride the course.  The ride was to be 3 hours so we chose to do the back half of the course and plotted a 55 mile route.  Good news - they have repaved Eastside road and it is smooth and fast!!  Reports from the full Vineman last year reported it was as bad as Westside road and, from personal experience, that was really bumpy with 2" deep potholes, cracks and lots of lumpy areas.  I joined up with Westside on this ride about halfway through Westside and no sign of repaving there, but there was an earlier posting saying it had been repaved as well.  I hope that is true because the really bad part was the first half and that is what they would have had to have repaved. 

The course is as beautiful as I remembered with the grapevines coming in nicely.  I was reminded of how challenging the rolling hills were, so would suggest you find training routes that have rolling hills.  Chalk Hill seems to get less formidable each time I've ridden it and this time I rode up it while staying down on the aerobars.  The backside downhill of Chalk Hill is a blast with a short steep part and then a long gentle downhill that you can really fly on.  They have not done any repair work on the road to bridge transitions so be careful there if you go out and ride it, especially on one of the bridges on Chalk Hill.  It is bad enough that riders or race organizers have marked it with paint in the past, but the paint is kind of faded.  It was there that I heard a rider last year was taking care of getting in some nutrition/hydration in the 70.3, hit the transition, lost control and went over the side of the bridge.

There was a 25 minute transition run after the ride and although I told myself I was going to keep the pace slow off the bike, I was constantly fighting running a pace 30-45 sec/mile faster than I wanted to.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you get yourself to slow down?  Last year during the Vineman 70.3 I failed miserably to keep it slow at the beginning of the run and it came back to bite me on the butt starting at about mile 8.  In the 70.3 I got away with it, but in the full, that is a recipe for disaster.  This will be a definite goal for this training cycle, and I'm going to incorporate a lot of 1-3 mile transition runs in to figure it out and train myself to do this right!

How is your training going??

Edited by TTom 2014-04-27 5:40 PM
2014-04-28 12:29 PM

User image

Rita, glad to hear things are (getting) back to normal.  For me training is a constant battle with injury or overuse and I have to keep reminding myself that the current pain will just be a memory in the not to distant future. 

Training is continuing to progress well with 12 hour weeks being the norm, but looking forward to this stepback week that is less than 10 hours!  The only fly in that ointment is that Thursday is a 3200 swim/2:30 bike/1:00 run as a combined workout.  That'll be interesting . . .  So, last week the moon and stars, and more importantly my training partner's and my schedules along with "take your kids to work day", aligned and we decided to  drive up and ride the course.  The ride was to be 3 hours so we chose to do the back half of the course and plotted a 55 mile route.  Good news - they have repaved Eastside road and it is smooth and fast!!  Reports from the full Vineman last year reported it was as bad as Westside road and, from personal experience, that was really bumpy with 2" deep potholes, cracks and lots of lumpy areas.  I joined up with Westside on this ride about halfway through Westside and no sign of repaving there, but there was an earlier posting saying it had been repaved as well.  I hope that is true because the really bad part was the first half and that is what they would have had to have repaved. 

The course is as beautiful as I remembered with the grapevines coming in nicely.  I was reminded of how challenging the rolling hills were, so would suggest you find training routes that have rolling hills.  Chalk Hill seems to get less formidable each time I've ridden it and this time I rode up it while staying down on the aerobars.  The backside downhill of Chalk Hill is a blast with a short steep part and then a long gentle downhill that you can really fly on.  They have not done any repair work on the road to bridge transitions so be careful there if you go out and ride it, especially on one of the bridges on Chalk Hill.  It is bad enough that riders or race organizers have marked it with paint in the past, but the paint is kind of faded.  It was there that I heard a rider last year was taking care of getting in some nutrition/hydration in the 70.3, hit the transition, lost control and went over the side of the bridge.

There was a 25 minute transition run after the ride and although I told myself I was going to keep the pace slow off the bike, I was constantly fighting running a pace 30-45 sec/mile faster than I wanted to.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you get yourself to slow down?  Last year during the Vineman 70.3 I failed miserably to keep it slow at the beginning of the run and it came back to bite me on the butt starting at about mile 8.  In the 70.3 I got away with it, but in the full, that is a recipe for disaster.  This will be a definite goal for this training cycle, and I'm going to incorporate a lot of 1-3 mile transition runs in to figure it out and train myself to do this right!

How is your training going??

Great report on your training Tom. Nice to have that local intel on the roads. Did you happen to take a look at the Russian River? How's it looking? I have heard that even with the drought the river still looks normal and swimmable.

2014-04-28 12:38 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Rode over the river and at that bridge it was not close to swimmable, but not to worry. They have a dam just below the swim start that makes a nice, full (enough), still section for us to swim in.  I just wish the temps on race day would be as cool as it was during the ride last week

Edited by TTom 2014-04-28 12:39 PM
2014-05-01 9:18 AM

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
I am planning on doing a similar 55 mile ride in two weeks on the course. Where did you start your ride? Down by the swim, or just from the High School?

Dan
2014-05-01 5:12 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Dan, I started at the corner of Airport and Skylane, and parked in an industrial park on Laughlin (which is the left turn off of Airport at Skylane (changes name there).  There was plenty of parking in the back so didn't think anyone would complain, and the park is shared by many businesses so not likely there is a facilities guy to complain.   I did this intending to finish the ride on Old Redwood/Fulton/Airport but there is construction going on at the 101/Airport overpass that makes the road pretty crappy for riding, so just stayed on Shiloh to Skylane on the return.  Here's the route I rode from my Garmin : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/486506717

Also, I made up a turn by turn with mileage.  The column "miles" indicates the mileage at which you make the turn onto the listed road.  Eastside shows two turns as you turn onto it and then further down there is a Y and just wanted to make sure I paid attention.  The same is true for Wohler, but they closed off the road there allowing you only to go to the left.  And I would recommend just taking Shiloh to Skylane at the end just for safety's sake.

Miles RoadR/L 
1.0 Up Skylane to ShilohL 
2WindsorR
2.75ReimanL
3.25 StarrR 
4 Windsor RiverL 
5.15Eastside 1L
8.4Eastside2R
9.65 Wohler1R 
10.5Wohler2L
10.7WestideR
19.9KinleyL
21.4Dry CreekL
28.3 CanyonR 
30.5Hwy 128R
41.8Chalk HillR
49.9 FaughtL 
51.1ShilohR
51.9Old Rwd HwyL
52.8FultonR
53.1AirportR
54.7 N. LaughlinL 

If you start down by the swim it turns into a ride closer to 70 miles, so for me that is a later in the season possibility.  Oh yeah, once you get back on 101 South, there's an In and Out Burger at the Guernville road exit (left side of the freeway).  Kinda hit the spot after the ride!

Edited by TTom 2014-05-01 5:12 PM
2014-05-01 5:19 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Today was an educational day regarding the effect of heat on performance.  My plan call for a combined S/B/R day with an 1800 swim/2:30 ride/1:00 run.  Swim went fine, bike was OK but pushed it a little hard and at the end it was warming up.  The run started out OK but it rapidly became clear that keeping my HR in z2 @ 9:00 pace was just not going to happen.  Kept up the pace and ended up doing 6.7 miles with the last 2 having my HR at or above z5 - clearly a recipe for disaster in any longer run - with a finishing temp of 93 degrees!  Gonna have to make sure to acclimate to running in the heat (afternoon) the last few weeks before the race!  Also, this underscored the need to not push the bike too hard, but I didn't feel like I was pushing too much at the time.  I guess it is a good thing there are lots and lots of training miles between here and the starting line to get this stuff ironed out!

2014-05-02 2:13 PM

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
Tom,

Thanks for the turn by turn. I know exactly the In N Out you are talking about. I live in the North Bay, and am pretty certain I know where each In N Out is on 101 going north.

70 is a little much as well, even though it is doable.

Dan

2014-05-03 9:14 AM

Hi all - I am back from running Boston and ready to get back to Vineman training. No injuries so far which is always the challenge for me with higher running miles. I am planning on an easy run today and back on the bike for a longer ride tomorrow. What is eveyone else up to?

Tom - I tried to do an easy run after work this week. I am in AZ so 90 plus degrees. It was not pretty. On the posisitve side I guess the heat training prepares you for whatever the weather will be in July. Thanks for the info on the course. I love hearing some of the road is paved as I fear hitting a pothole.

Happy weekend training!

Kate
2014-05-03 12:58 PM
in reply to: khaddon

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Hey Kate - how'd Boston go? Give us a quick race recap! What were the highlights of the trip? I just signed up for the California International Marathon to go for a BQ, so interested in your experience. I haven't raced a Marathon in a couple of year's, but at least it is in December so won't have to worry about the heat there!
2014-05-03 7:32 PM

Boston was great. It is worth the work to qualify and the effort to get there from the west coast. For me the highlight is being in a city that is so marathon happy for the weekend. The Boston people are so nice and the other runners are from everywhere with stories to tell. While my family is supportive they do get tired of race talk so to have a few days of other freaks that can talk about it all day is fun. The course is the challenging, every part is what you read about....the downhill start, the biker bar, the Wellesley tunnel, BC....I finished near some amputees with an American flag so the finish was crazy with screaming crowds. Great weekend to be in Boston and while I suffered some never againitis for a few days I did book a room for next year so we'll see....This was the first time I ran a marathon with so much cross training and I was curious to see how it would go. I did 3 runs/2-3 swims/2 bikes per week and was still able to finish within my usual time, which at my age is pretty doable for requalifying...one benefit of aging...If you do think you will go next year I would suggest booking a hotel through marathon tours - unless you have friends/family to stay with. The cost of cancelling is minimal and some do fill up early.

2014-05-03 9:18 PM
in reply to: khaddon

User image

Originally posted by khaddon

Boston was great. It is worth the work to qualify and the effort to get there from the west coast. For me the highlight is being in a city that is so marathon happy for the weekend. The Boston people are so nice and the other runners are from everywhere with stories to tell. While my family is supportive they do get tired of race talk so to have a few days of other freaks that can talk about it all day is fun. The course is the challenging, every part is what you read about....the downhill start, the biker bar, the Wellesley tunnel, BC....I finished near some amputees with an American flag so the finish was crazy with screaming crowds. Great weekend to be in Boston and while I suffered some never againitis for a few days I did book a room for next year so we'll see....This was the first time I ran a marathon with so much cross training and I was curious to see how it would go. I did 3 runs/2-3 swims/2 bikes per week and was still able to finish within my usual time, which at my age is pretty doable for requalifying...one benefit of aging...If you do think you will go next year I would suggest booking a hotel through marathon tours - unless you have friends/family to stay with. The cost of cancelling is minimal and some do fill up early.

Nice job Kate! What a great year and finish for Boston. I am glad your cross training didn't impact your finish time negatively. Thanks for the mini recap. I get the racing/training conversations with family. I think my husband is over hearing about my training and races too. Yet he is still supportive.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by lisac957
Views: 51918 Posts: 708

2013-10-07 2:39 PM TTom

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jmkizer
Views: 30653 Posts: 240

2012-10-19 11:59 AM rpoulter

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by ironjim
Views: 38597 Posts: 449

2011-11-19 6:52 AM jmkizer

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by velasqu7
Views: 12529 Posts: 61

2010-08-02 11:56 PM AbbieR

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by chile7473
Views: 24289 Posts: 224

2009-12-13 9:03 PM Focker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.