General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Gear - Turbo Trainers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-05 6:24 AM

Subject: Training Gear - Turbo Trainers
Does anyone have any recommendations for turbo trainers?? I am looking to build up my training without having to leave the house in the terrible weather...

I have seen lots on ebay, and Amazon and found Black Dog Bikes. They are cheaper to buy from direct, but wondered if anyone else had any experience from buying from these guys?

This is what I am looking to buy... BDBikes Turbo Trainer Single Speed

2013-11-05 10:20 PM
in reply to: sntuk

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Training Gear - Turbo Trainers
Get the Lemond Trainer. It fits in the rear dropouts, and you won't need special tires every season. It takes less than a minute to take the bike off the trainer and put the rear wheel back on when you want to ride outside during a surprisingly warm day.
2013-11-06 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I have two trainers: a Cycleops Fluid 2 and a Performance Bike Travel Trac Fluid Comp. Both are fluid trainers, which are generally very quiet. Compared to the magnetic and wind trainers I demo'd, the fluid was much quieter, which mattered a lot in my apartment. I also like that the fluid trainers use the drivetrain to adjust resistance, instead of a switch, just like on the road.

I bought the Performance trainer for my wife, and I've seen comments that it won't hold much over 300 watts, but then again, I can't hold 300 watts either. Performance Bike's warranty / return program is also great, so even if it dies in a year or two, no big deal.

I've heard lots of good things about the Kurt Kinetic as well.

I'd also recommend Trainer Road for any trainer work - it's much less borning, and the virtual power stuff gives you a good metric to train by. Also, tons of training plans for only $10 per month.
2013-11-13 3:49 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
CycleOps trainers are 20% of at REI from Nov 15-24. Get a fluid trainer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Gear - Turbo Trainers Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Turbo training and sweat

Started by wayne0308
Views: 860 Posts: 5

2010-11-03 8:25 AM wayne0308

Elite Mag Turbo Trainer

Started by Julia123
Views: 440 Posts: 1

2010-01-25 2:35 AM Julia123

Turbo trainer help needed

Started by Pashda
Views: 682 Posts: 3

2013-11-05 6:29 AM sntuk

Trainer Tips and Gear [HOT FUN IN WINTER]

Started by chicago-tri-bird
Views: 515 Posts: 2

2007-12-12 2:41 PM leapdog

Mag resistance versus Shifting gears on trainer

Started by mburkhart
Views: 441 Posts: 3

2007-03-03 9:51 PM tkbslc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : February 4, 2009
author : mikericci
Here are our most popular questions for training during the off season. Everything from treadmills to heart rate monitors to core strength.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : September 8, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 3
Online triathlon superstore, created for triathletes, by triathletes. We carry the highest quality triathlon equipment, triathlon gear and triathlon apparel.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.