General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting Vegas, experiencing workout sticker shock Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-05 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: Visiting Vegas, experiencing workout sticker shock
Hi there,

Been off the BT's for a while but firing back up again. Coming out tomorrow and staying until Monday afternoon. My husband is attending a conference and I am tagging along. I had planned on using the hotel gym, naively unaware that in Vegas you pay for that sort of luxury, so giving up on my plan of using a stationary bike, and a treadmill (one of my run workouts is a tready workout).

Anyway, now I am planning on trying to run around the area behind the strip (1 3m, 2 4-5 m, and one 8-10 miler), bagging the bike completely, and attempting to swim laps in the hotel pool.

So my questions are, do you think anyone will hassle me about swimming in the hotel pool? I am thinking I will just get up early while nobody is there, plus it's not hot so maybe not too many people? And, am I going to be safe running away from the strip? Any other general information that I should know?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Q

2013-11-05 12:18 PM
in reply to: quincyf

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Visiting Vegas, experiencing workout sticker shock

I would probably avoid running behind the strip...  Not overly dangerous, but not very nice either.  I would just suggest running early ON the strip.  The sidewalks are wide enough in most cases.  You will have to deal with SOME pedestrian traffic and lights, but that's the price you pay.  "Behind the strip on the west is Industrial and lined with strip clubs, the east side is a bit "back of house" and not that pleasant.

Pools are not really set up for laps, but if you got in early, you can do something when it's not packed with people.  The do shut a lot of the pools down in the winter though.  They will keep one or two open for guests at each hotel, but close others just so they don't have to staff them.

If you have a car, it might be better to get away from the strip for a run like to Red Rocks and there are several pools you can drop in at.

2013-11-05 5:59 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Visiting Vegas, experiencing workout sticker shock
Awesome, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I'm actually also kind of looking around at the area for a potential move...so the strip is not the best place for us to stay, but I had to start somewhere.

Cheers,
Q
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting Vegas, experiencing workout sticker shock Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Visiting Lake Tahoe In September

Started by b2673ad
Views: 1671 Posts: 2

2010-07-27 12:14 PM SenseiDenise

Visiting Reno - Any Interest in Training?

Started by jvinciqu
Views: 1090 Posts: 1

2007-01-04 12:25 PM jvinciqu

Great Offer for Las Vegas Show Tickets

Started by vineeta207
Views: 1093 Posts: 1

2006-09-18 3:14 AM vineeta207

Visiting Reno/Lake Tahoe in Sept!

Started by mrakes1
Views: 1023 Posts: 2

2006-08-07 3:58 PM cityplannerx

Training in vegas

Started by Colomingle
Views: 1555 Posts: 7

2006-12-20 10:12 AM devouahy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.