General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lacate threadhold treadmill testing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-05 9:20 PM

User image

Subject: Lacate threadhold treadmill testing
Ok, tonight was treadmill test night. I've never done a LT test before so that was a first for me. I was trying to find my lactate threshold but I don't know for sure if I can tell anything from this test. Results are here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-6UqmisarD-ZG83ZVczVDZaUnM/edit?usp...

There appears to be two outliers since my HR settled back into the strait line in the next point. Going off my notes (Training Bible), LT should be about 5 data points from my max and the spot about where I start to breath more heavily. A spike in HR is also supposed to happen but I don't see that, if I ignore those two outliers. Since I didn't have anyone next to me, I just noted in my head when I thought my breathing became labored (9.2 mph). I plan to do these every 4 weeks. It seems like I can go off when my breathing got labored but it would have been nice to see a sustained jump in HR. Do you guys think that 171 is the number I should go with? The highest HR I ever hit was 183 from a mile repeat a few months ago and I'm sure my fitness has changed since then. I got close to my previous max though. So maybe next time I can get one or two more bumps in.

2013-11-06 7:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Lacate threadhold treadmill testing
I doubt you can get your LTHR by just plotting HR against pace and looking for a spike. You could use this test to track progress however. But use it with a grain of salt, there is a lot of variability with HR.

There are some test protocols such as the avg HR of the last 20min of a 30min all out run.

FWIW, I have had my LT tested in lab., May max HR was 185 and LTHR 172, so those numbers are close to your approximations. But we are probably different runners

Also, in my test, my HR did not spike at LTHR.

Edited by marcag 2013-11-06 7:41 AM
2013-11-06 7:42 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
What protocol did you use (I can't see the file right now so if it is detailed in the file, my apologies).

Shane
2013-11-06 1:29 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
This sounds like the Conconi test. THere should be a deflection point on the curve, I don't know about a HR spike, I've never heard of that.

Can you replot and expand the scale of the HR scale to be 100-180?
2013-11-06 1:34 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by AdventureBear This sounds like the Conconi test. THere should be a deflection point on the curve, I don't know about a HR spike, I've never heard of that. Can you replot and expand the scale of the HR scale to be 100-180?

I agree.  This looks like a Conconi test protocol.  If memory servers, you would get to a point where HR stop increasing linear to pace.  That deflection point is your AT/AeT threshold.  I think it's easier to see if you plot pace vs HR^3 (again, if I recall). 

2013-11-06 8:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by marcag

I doubt you can get your LTHR by just plotting HR against pace and looking for a spike. You could use this test to track progress however. But use it with a grain of salt, there is a lot of variability with HR.

There are some test protocols such as the avg HR of the last 20min of a 30min all out run.

FWIW, I have had my LT tested in lab., May max HR was 185 and LTHR 172, so those numbers are close to your approximations. But we are probably different runners

Also, in my test, my HR did not spike at LTHR.

You are right. I looked at it doesn't say anything in here. I must have mixed the book with something else. I talking to a guy helping me with my swim and he said he did this exact test but that during LT that it would jump at a certain point (not huge jump but should be obvious) and that's where LT is since your system is switching over. I was reading this chapter and the same time and must have mixed them up.

A new file is up at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-6UqmisarD-X1l4MVQ3U1luakk/edit?us... showing HR^3 and different Y axis range. I'm thinking I just misunderstood this test. I tried the 5K test before, based off of Be Iron Fit's method: LT in first mile and max HR at the end but my max HR was 180, a little less than my mile repeat max just about 2 weeks earlier. I've only ran one standalone 5k before, so I'm sure more testing could be needed. Looking at the first time, I do see a 172/173 spike in the test: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/387794467

Edited by Blastman 2013-11-06 8:02 PM

2013-11-06 9:38 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I've never heard of plotting HR^3 either, but I miss a lot of things.

There should not be a HR spike for a graded exercise test, there should be a deflection.

I'd just file this data away in your training logs.

Did you really run a 5k training run in sub 20min?

That's pretty fast, and also way to short to help determine aerobic threshold.

What's your typical HR if you were running steady 10 min miles? In the ramp test it looks like you were in teh 130s already. If you are able to do sub 7min miles for a 5k , I'm thinking 10 min miles should feel pretty easy for you? just trying to get another handle on yoru typical ranges.

You'd be better off to go run a 10k time trial or race, because it's going to be long enough to get your HR to be more reflective of aerobic energy contribution.

THere are dozens of different types of assessments you can do, but the simplest way IMO is just to collect race data. But you're too fast to make a 5k a helpful test, although by all means, go out and win some medals!!
2013-11-07 5:50 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Alright thanks for the tips. Yeah the 5K is me but I was expecting faster I did a 15 min warm up @ 6.0 mph and my HR was at 140 at the end. This was an easy pace for me but I still started to sweat like crazy. I'm still trying to iron out my zones. I tend to run at 160 and can keep that up for hours. According to the zones calculators (and estimate on my LT), that should be Z3 and that should be too high for how long I'm going for (3+ hours sometimes). Trying to iron this out since I want to spend the next 3 months or so doing Z2 training to build my aerobic base up and then go from there as I start my official IM training again. Z2 training would be pretty easy on me and my knees.
2013-11-07 5:55 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I've never been a fan of the Conconi test as both the research and my experience with them is that they generally do not produce meaningful results. Rather, I would suggest a LTHR test to produce a solid estimate of your lactate threshold HR and then establish zones from there.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lacate threadhold treadmill testing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

VO2 Max & HR Treadmill Test Question

Started by jasonwb
Views: 710 Posts: 4

2010-02-04 11:58 AM jasonwb

testing...testing...

Started by rbtrumpet
Views: 530 Posts: 2

2009-08-24 9:34 PM nizzracer

Treadmill Stress Test With Cardiologist Pages: 1 2

Started by TriMyBest
Views: 4857 Posts: 28

2009-02-01 6:36 AM nickster

Lactate Threshold Test - Who can administer this test??

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 1733 Posts: 8

2007-11-12 9:06 PM Bill

treadmill test

Started by maxmattmick
Views: 498 Posts: 3

2007-01-29 2:24 PM maxmattmick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?
date : August 17, 2007
author : mikericci
If you are just getting off the couch, chances are you aren’t in any shape for an all out 30 minute run or bike LT test. So, what should you do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 4
How important is it to train on the actual road vs. treadmill and on a real bike vs. spinning classes?
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : October 30, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Off season training, nutrition, faster run, strength training, treadmill and more.
date : May 3, 2005
author : smeeko
Have you ever wondered about the benefits and drawbacks of treadmill running?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle