General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating Back Training Calories Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-06 10:39 AM

Subject: Eating Back Training Calories
Hi everyone, hopefully this is the correct board to post this question to!

I'm looking for suggestions on what to eat to consume enough calories when training.

For reference, I'm a 23 year old female, 5'9", am trying hover between 135-140lbs (but have been having trouble maintaining) and am at around 14%BF. I recently reached this goal weight after 5 months of weight loss, starting at ~195lbs. I have a half ironman coming up next summer, and am planning to do a full right after.

I spend a lot of time training, probably around 3.5-4 hours most days, stretching to 5+ on weekends. In addition to following the bike/swim goals on an intermediate tri plan, I run 6 days a week. I've been running for a long time, so I usually do 6-10 miles on weekdays and then longer runs (13+) on weekends. I also strength train and go to a few hot yoga classes throughout the week.

The calories I burn during training are fairly high, and I've been having trouble eating them back 'properly'. Basically, I eat too much junk in order to eat enough.

Normally, I eat kashi cereal and toast with almond butter for breakfast, lots of fruit/veggies/chicken/tuna throughout the day, and then usually make a dinner with a lean protein, veggies and sweet potatoes. I use my fitness pal to track, and most days I eat less than 2000 calories doing this, unless I add in crappy food (eg too much chocolate). What are some nutritious options for upping my calories?

2013-11-11 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4893584

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Subject: RE: Eating Back Training Calories
AWESOME job on reaching the goal! It must feel amazing!

I found this problem difficult as well. Avocados added to almost everything can help.. Fattier meats. More nut butters.... Just a few suggestions.
2013-11-12 10:27 AM
in reply to: shlm

User image

Originally posted by shlm Hi everyone, hopefully this is the correct board to post this question to! I'm looking for suggestions on what to eat to consume enough calories when training. For reference, I'm a 23 year old female, 5'9", am trying hover between 135-140lbs (but have been having trouble maintaining) and am at around 14%BF. I recently reached this goal weight after 5 months of weight loss, starting at ~195lbs. I have a half ironman coming up next summer, and am planning to do a full right after. I spend a lot of time training, probably around 3.5-4 hours most days, stretching to 5+ on weekends. In addition to following the bike/swim goals on an intermediate tri plan, I run 6 days a week. I've been running for a long time, so I usually do 6-10 miles on weekdays and then longer runs (13+) on weekends. I also strength train and go to a few hot yoga classes throughout the week. The calories I burn during training are fairly high, and I've been having trouble eating them back 'properly'. Basically, I eat too much junk in order to eat enough. Normally, I eat kashi cereal and toast with almond butter for breakfast, lots of fruit/veggies/chicken/tuna throughout the day, and then usually make a dinner with a lean protein, veggies and sweet potatoes. I use my fitness pal to track, and most days I eat less than 2000 calories doing this, unless I add in crappy food (eg too much chocolate). What are some nutritious options for upping my calories?

What about adding in a (fruit or something) smoothie or something like that? I find that helps me especially in that 2 hour window after a workout if I add some protein to it.

Chocolate milk right after a run helps for me (and you can get it in those containers that don't require refrigeration to keep in the car or whatever). 

Nuts are dense in calories if you like them and reasonably healthy.

Hope some of those suggestions help.

Great job, by the way!

2013-11-24 8:51 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
First, congrats on losing all the weight - that is awesome!

I would say adding in more protein to your breakfast - eggs work well and I can tolerate them pretty close to a workout. Or eat them right after if you work out in the morning.

Think about adding in healthy fats - those up the calories tremendously and are so good for you!
Coconut oil and other coconut products, grassfed butter, avocados, fatty fish like salmon, olive oil and nuts/nut butters are all great choices!

Calorie dense starches are great as well, sweet potatoes (like you mentioned), tubers etc are all fantastic carb choices, esp with all the hours you spend training!
2013-11-27 8:24 AM

User image

I typically do 2 breakfasts while training - for lack of a better phrase...a pre-swim - normally oatmeal or similar and then my post-swim "real" breakfast - which is normally an egg-white omelet with some gouda cheese, onions and green bell peppers and then avocado on the side (the omelet, according to my calorie track is about 450-500 calories)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating Back Training Calories Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How many calories should I be eating?

Started by mleec4
Views: 3095 Posts: 4

2012-08-11 10:57 PM Eckdan

Intuitive eating vs. counting calories

Started by cdonner
Views: 5299 Posts: 10

2012-07-11 10:28 PM tcovert

counting calories question and how to eat more ?!?

Started by sappho96
Views: 1361 Posts: 5

2008-02-24 5:45 PM katybug34

Eating Too Few Calories

Started by super_sally888
Views: 1382 Posts: 4

2006-11-09 5:42 AM Marcin

Less intense workouts = eating fewer calories?

Started by kirby
Views: 1069 Posts: 5

2006-10-31 12:02 PM chirunner134
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : June 25, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?
date : December 20, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on Weight Watchers, eating out, peanut butter, agave nectar, not wanting to count calories and replacing calories burned by working out.

date : April 1, 2008
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.
date : March 17, 2008
comments : 3
Provide your body with a wholesome and nutritious meal and keep healthy, low-calorie evening snacks available for after dinner.

date : May 1, 2006
comments : 2
Eating more on hard days and less on lighter days. When do we need to consume calories before workouts to keep us fueled?
date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
comments : 0
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.

date : January 24, 2005
comments : 1
You know what you should eat. Yet you just don’t want to. Yuck—whole wheat bread, bran cereal, oatmeal, skim milk, spinach, fish, fruit for snacks and desserts.