General Discussion Triathlon Talk » good bike training plan for HIM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-08 6:45 AM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: good bike training plan for HIM?
I did my first HIM this fall at Beach2Battleship and finished in 6:03, with roughly a 38:00 swim, 3:20 bike and 1:53 run. I really enjoyed the distance and would like to break six hours next time (was my goal at B2B, but it was really cold and I had super slow transitions wrestling with extra clothes). I have the most room to improve on the bike, obviously.

I'm signed up for Eagleman next June and am thinking about training plans. For B2B, I created my own plan, using the bike workouts from the Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide (the Fitzgerald book) -- one of the higher levels, even. In a previous thread I posted, many people said my bike volume looked low. What kind of bike volume do I need? I'm not a stranger to heavy training -- have done the Pfitz 18/70 marathon plan multiple times with no problem -- but I also enjoy running a lot, so I want to leave room for 5-6 runs a week. I can skimp on the swim.

I log everything in my training log here.

2013-11-08 7:02 AM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: good bike training plan for HIM?

Other than August, I wouldn't say your volume is all that low.  You have everything logged but not much in the way of details.  For example, I see lots of entries that just say "trainer".  What are you doing during that time?  Focused intervals or just spinning?

2013-11-08 7:36 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Other than August, I wouldn't say your volume is all that low.  You have everything logged but not much in the way of details.  For example, I see lots of entries that just say "trainer".  What are you doing during that time?  Focused intervals or just spinning?

I'm seeing the same thing. Just "trainer", or maybe where your rode plus conditions of the day if outside. There is enough time being put in to make some notable improvements, but really need to know what makes up the ride. An example of this is what I did the past couple days. I use power to help quantify, but there are some other things that can help too. Both rides were about 2 hrs. But one had an IF (intensity related to 1 hr best effort) of 0.717 and the other 0.875. The first was an easier effort while the other had a number of bigger, strong efforts up in Z4 or getting near threshold. TSS is a formula that takes into account time and intensity. The easy ride was 100 while the harder one was 148. It's not necessary to fully understand these things to know that the one ride was much harder than the other, seeing how the second was near 50% bigger than the first even though duration was about the same. Having HR or even just estimating by RPE if sections are close to Oly or Sprint effort can be helpful too.

2013-11-08 7:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I remember your posting in the past about the bike.  You are pretty tentative about it all, right?

I am not sure your volume is the problem, either.  While everyone could probably stand to ride more I think you probably need to push yourself harder on the rides.  I watch a lot of triathletes (I assume this by looking at their bikes) spin away, carefully, for mile after mile.   Women especially.  I know it's hard to quantify, but what I am saying is perhaps you just need to go after it more.  More hills, bigger gears, tire yourself out.   You need to include difficult intervals just like when you're running.  You need to be able to push a bigger gear, comfortably, to get the speed you need.

Warning, this may compromise your runs...  That will be up to you to balance, but you need to be realistic about your goals.

I am glad you are interested in continuing to pursue it!  I am always sad when folks don't like the bike

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-11-08 7:45 AM
2013-11-08 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Originally posted by meggfishy

I did my first HIM this fall at Beach2Battleship and finished in 6:03, with roughly a 38:00 swim, 3:20 bike and 1:53 run. I really enjoyed the distance and would like to break six hours next time (was my goal at B2B, but it was really cold and I had super slow transitions wrestling with extra clothes). I have the most room to improve on the bike, obviously.

I'm signed up for Eagleman next June and am thinking about training plans. For B2B, I created my own plan, using the bike workouts from the Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide (the Fitzgerald book) -- one of the higher levels, even. In a previous thread I posted, many people said my bike volume looked low. What kind of bike volume do I need? I'm not a stranger to heavy training -- have done the Pfitz 18/70 marathon plan multiple times with no problem -- but I also enjoy running a lot, so I want to leave room for 5-6 runs a week. I can skimp on the swim.

I log everything in my training log here.
I would agree with others that your volume isn't the problem. If you are following the bike workouts from Fitzgerald's plans and you are using one of the higher levels (7-10) you are getting plenty of volume. I would suggest reading back through the section of the book where he talks specifically about the bike workouts. If you perform the workouts like he describes you will get the volume and the intensity you need.

I have used his plans for (4) HIM and an IM. These included Branson 70.3 and IM Wisconsin (both pretty tough bike courses) and I felt like I was well trained for the bike portion. Let me know if I can be of any specific help with bike workouts from his plans.

Good job on your first HIM. You did very well!
2013-11-08 9:11 AM

User image

Sorry don't have anything to add to your question, but I did the B2B half as well and it was wicked cold! Like to froze before we hit the water and really froze once out of the wetsuit heading to T1. It is a great event and very supported. Now back to your question and parden the interruption.....
Jered

2013-11-08 12:50 PM
in reply to: puzzlecreek

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
I usually don't have much time when logging to add a lot of detail, but I rarely do bike intervals. I try to ride outside whenever the weather makes it possible, because my bike handling skills were a bigger limiter than my speed -- and it's hard to do an interval-based outdoor workout where I live. I'd like to incorporate more interval-based trainer workouts this winter in the off season, but I'm not sure where to start. I had to adapt a lot of the Fitzgerald workouts since my bike routes don't have hills.
2013-11-11 7:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Originally posted by meggfishy

I usually don't have much time when logging to add a lot of detail, but I rarely do bike intervals. I try to ride outside whenever the weather makes it possible, because my bike handling skills were a bigger limiter than my speed -- and it's hard to do an interval-based outdoor workout where I live. I'd like to incorporate more interval-based trainer workouts this winter in the off season, but I'm not sure where to start. I had to adapt a lot of the Fitzgerald workouts since my bike routes don't have hills.
You are on the right track by planning more interval workouts this winter. There is no doubt you will see your bike strength improve.

I did 90% of my bike workouts this past year on the trainer. While it wasn't nearly as pleasant as riding outside, there was no doubt it was better for my biking. Like you, I have a hard time doing intervals and hammering it when I'm riding outside. So I just did my long rides on the weekend outside and everything else was on the trainer.

A lot of folks on here like Sufferfest. I have never used that so I can't comment on it. I use Spinervals when training inside. I have a collection of about 15 of them that I use depending on what the workout calls for on Fitzgerald's plan. If he is calling for a hill workout I will use "Up Hill Grind" for example. I find that by doing this I get a quality session every time and it follows with what he is intending for that day. By having a variety of videos it keeps it fresher and easier to stay motivated. Coach Troy and I got to know each other pretty well this past year!!

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions about the Spinerval DVD's that I use.
2013-11-11 9:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Buy trainerroad ($89/yr or I think $12/mo) and start one of their training programs if you do a lot of indoor trainer rides.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » good bike training plan for HIM? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Best Plan and The Training Bible Pages: 1 2

Started by cusetri
Views: 2368 Posts: 37

2010-08-25 12:39 PM Bioteknik

Looking for a good training plan?

Started by waterboy42
Views: 823 Posts: 2

2010-03-22 5:05 PM SauseEnte

snowboard vacation, good or bad for training plan?

Started by VinemanCalifornia
Views: 1188 Posts: 19

2008-01-15 4:04 PM indygreg

good training plan for a Olympic tri

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 1041 Posts: 9

2007-01-01 7:23 PM Dlaxman31

Best Training Plans?

Started by OldAg92
Views: 552 Posts: 3

2005-08-14 8:37 AM madcow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.
date : February 12, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.

date : January 9, 2008
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.