General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting my first tri-bars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-08 11:11 AM

Subject: Getting my first tri-bars
So I've been told it might be worth getting a set of tri/aero bars, but I literally have no idea where to start... The range of prices is astonishing! Would something like this be adequete: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/token-tk9741-2-aero-clip-on-bars-and-pads/or should I go for something more expensive? What do you get for your money as they get more expensive, and what do you reckon should be factors that influence my decision?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

2013-11-08 11:42 AM
in reply to: Pancakeman

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Getting my first tri-bars

something like that, yes, could work.  Although it currently states it out of stock.  Like anything, going with a reputable brand name might cost you a few dollars more, but you end up with something that's often better designed, has more adjustability, pads may be more comfortable, etc.

you'll notice that there are a few different ways that the bars bend.  the straighter ones, I think called 'an ski bend' are sometimes (it really depends) more aerodynamic, but tend to be less comfortable for your wrists.  you might prefer more of a bend at the end, such as an S bend, or like these Stryke bend bars.  

imagine yourself holding on to those bars that you selected, versus these:

http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/aerobars/aluminum-aerobars/zbs-stryke-bend.html

if you want to save some money, I'll bet you can pick up some used ones out of the classifieds either here or over on slowtwitch pretty cheap.  A lot of triathletes bought them for their roadie, then bought a tri bike and have them sitting around in their garage.  some might send them to you for the cost of shipping, just to get rid of them.  

oh- if you have carbon handlebars on your roadie, you may not want to clamp down on them, and might need the kind that mount to the stem.

2013-11-08 2:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
I had the benefit of a friend who a couple of different aerobars for me to try. You get what you pay for in terms of fit and comfort. The profile design bars morey000 posted are what I have now and I couldn't be more pleased. FWIW-I tried the S-shaped ones that make you tilt your wrist forward, and didn't like them at all. Too much stress on my forearms and wrist.

The Profile Design ones are adjustable in lots of different ways, making them a better fit for most folks. You can readily find them used for under $50 all the time.

BTW-it's really fun going aero and tucking in on a big downhill!

Edited by DannyII 2013-11-08 2:35 PM
2013-11-09 7:31 PM
in reply to: DannyII

User image

Regular
Also, I found out that my armband smartphone holder I use for running will work strapped to the aerobars. I use Runkeeper a lot, so that's a nice bonus!
2013-11-11 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4895134

I'm in the same position. I'm looking for some bars for my road bike. I'm conflicted between regular size and mini. Can any one help me decide?
2013-11-13 6:06 AM
in reply to: standbyzero

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by standbyzero

I'm in the same position. I'm looking for some bars for my road bike. I'm conflicted between regular size and mini. Can any one help me decide?

Definitely go with ITU style (aka. shorties) clip-on bars for a road bike. They're specifically designed to allow you to maintain your road position (which is exactly what you want to do… road bike are not designed to be ridden weight forward). Personally, I like the VisionTech Mini TT's, but there's many other good ones to pick from

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting my first tri-bars Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

getting my first tri bike

Started by weiky
Views: 877 Posts: 6

2012-12-06 2:12 PM weiky

getting used to aero bars?

Started by claireruth
Views: 1599 Posts: 6

2012-06-02 12:01 PM Trath-L33T

FIRST POST INTRO and aero bar setup/bar end brake and shifter questions

Started by TRI-ing soldier
Views: 3061 Posts: 5

2009-01-02 12:46 PM caelric

Handle bar + Aero bars for a tri bike

Started by Plissken74
Views: 928 Posts: 3

2008-05-31 11:02 AM newbz

Tri bars or Drop handle bars

Started by steve mac
Views: 1178 Posts: 4

2005-01-27 2:38 PM jcaptain
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.